the difference is... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the difference is...

okay i started off playing space marines the branched off to orks. now my latest project is going to be imerial guard! i just wanted to know the differences between catachans, imperialguard, and steel legion. can they all be used in the same army? do they all have their own army books? any info would be great. thanks
    john

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

Catachans, Steel Legion are all seperate branches of the Imperial Guard.

When you list, "Imperial Guard" next to the other two, I assume you mean Cadians?

The short answer to your question is "Yes", there is nothing wrong with you using all the models in a single army, and even taking, say, Jungle Fighters, and just give it to the catachans.

The main difference between them, really, is the fact that Cadians, Steel Legion and Catachans have their own Doctrines in the back of the Imperial Guard codex. If you wanted to use a Catachan army, it would look veyr odd to see Steel Legion in there, because they couldn't look more different, unless they rode to war on ice-skating mongeese.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

The imperial guard and the steel legion are just the same and can be used as normal.
    Only thing about the steel legion is that they like to use a Chimera for each squad but theres no reson not to use them as a normal guard army

For the Catachans look here
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperia...achan-rules/1/
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catachans have their own codices, along with Imperial Guard in general. You can use the models to represent different things like Catachans for veterans, but you can't use them together as different armies unless they are allied.

Catachans are the jungle fighters of the Guard, and they are very skilled at sneaking through forests and they seem to be very handy with 'roids...

Steel Legion are the mechanized forces of the Imperium, usually associated to the Armageddon wars, for it is their homeworld and they have fought off many Orcs. They are based off what it seems to be Nazis.

The regular Guard are just the men of the Imperium and the God-Emperor serving their duty everyday to protect the citizens of the Imperium and fighting off the many evil forces such as xenos and heretics.

You also forget Valhallens, Tallarns, and Vostroyan forces, but I do not think you wanted to know about them since you didn't include them in your query.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no technical difference between Catachans, what I presume you mean is Cadians and Steel Legion. You can use whatever doctrines you so wish as long as you model on the special equipment (should you decide to pick one of said doctrines.) The models all represent the smae basic thing; a Guardsman. Cadians and Catachans are both much cheaper than the metal regiments, but the metal regiments (such as the afforementioned Steel Legion) are much more unique. You really only need one book, Codex: Imperial Guard, which I suggest you purchase as soon as you can, provided you do not have it yet.

If you wish to use Catachans as actual jungle fighters, then I believe there's a downloadable codex on the main GW site that you can use. However, it may no longer be legal; you'll have to wait for another member to tell you for certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone, all of that helped a lot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flakdragon
    Steel Legion are the mechanized forces of the Imperium, usually associated to the Armageddon wars, for it is their homeworld and they have fought off many Orcs.
    Actually, the Steel Legion are not the mechanised forces of the Imperium. They are a mechanized force, as all Steel Legion regiments are mechanized. There can be countless mechanized regiments from countless worlds in the Imperium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest in model terms catachans, steel legion etc are all their simply to give you a choice of what you want you're army to look like and mixing is no problem. the only time when mixing could be an issue is if your playing as cadians specifically or catachans or something like that. no point playing as catachans if you dont use the models although i suppose some fluff could be made to change that.
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

+ Reply to Thread