First IG Idea: Drop Troops? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

First IG Idea: Drop Troops?

So I've been tossing around an idea about creating a new IG army loosely based on Stormship troopers (the good book, not the bad movie or sequal). The idea would be that heavily armored men, not superhumans, (I guess that would be carapace armor & storm troopers?) would drop from a ship (drop troops?).

My questions are:
    "I've heard a lot of talk about how good a marine drop army is. Would a drop marine list always be better than a drop IG list?"
    "Would this work either tactically and/or physically with so many men on the board?"
    "Tanks seem like an important part of the IG army, but do you need tanks in an army (I'm pretty sure I can't drop tanks), because they don't really match, fluffwise."
    "Does anyone play/play against an army like this?"
    "What are the problem(s) and strengths of this army."
    "General advice on making a list like this?"

I play Black Templars (horde infantry) & Tau (straight mech) now. I'm not looking to win every time with my IG (that's my attempt with tau), but I would like an army that's fun to play and can hold its own against anyone. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not give Elysians a try?
    They've got lots of advantages. Multi-melta sentinals, demo charges in infantry squads. You could use vulture gunships as a replacement for tanks. Although the models are expensive. You could use cadians instead
    Last edited by Purifico; July 21st, 2006 at 14:17.

"Look Livley!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, if you're going to do drop troop imperial guard, go inquisition. Inq Stormtroopers can DS and have carapace armor, and a BS of 4. This makes them pretty nasty. Throw in a Malleus Inquisitor with 1-3 daemonhosts and you're golden.

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Haha yess another Drop Troop recruit. Well shortly you'll here from a few of the old vets around here (such as Sohkar, Cherendine, and a few others).

I'll try and answer some of your questions to th ebest of my ability (I've just begun modeling/playing my new drop Army)

1). IDK enough about Marine Drop Armies, but I can tell you Guard drop armies are a challenge to play. They truly rely on tactical skill to win. One mistake with a DT force as IG and it could mean the game. We just don't have the S,T,....ahh heck we ain't space marines so we lack in many areas. Thus we need to plan accordingly. The flip side of that is when you do plan accordingly, and play with all the skill you can muster, you can surely achieve victory. And let me tell you, a victory like that leaves you with the best feeling in the world.

2). It could work and does work. And you don't have that many men. In my 2000pt list I have 106men...may seem a lot, but if I cut down on certain things I could bring that up to around 130+. The thing I feel about DT lists is you sacrifce numbers in some ways for firepower....especially special weapons. Which is why it takes some practice/skill to get used to. It requires coordination btw. all elements...your fire support style teams and your assaulty special weapons teams.

3). No you don't "need" tanks, but taking a basilisk or some sentinels is still fluffy IMHO. In my drop list I take a basilisk and justify it as "off the board artillery" or just saying its a light field artillery piece (akin to the American 105 which can be slung underneath a helicopter). Sentinels CAN be dropped which means you have a light vehicle, which when properly armed, can pose a threat to enemy armor.

4). I'm playing a DT list, I believe Sokhar plays one, as does Cherendine (who plays a Elysian list). We're all here on LO and can give you any advice you need for DT.

5). As I said one of the problems can be numbers. One thing I learned was to minimize extraneous gear (i.e. Don't get commissars unless you REALLY find them fluffy/need them, don't tool out your JO w/ every piece of wargear possible, etc.) and to maximize firepower. My current list which I'm beginning to fall in love with, has 2 Fire Support Squads, an AT Squad, 2 Suicide Demo Squads, 3 Vet Squads, and 2 platoons of infantry. Of all that about half my squad DS...the other half use Light Infantry to infiltrate. It's a deadly combo and you can justify it by sayin the Infiltrating guys are the Pathfinders who mark the Drop Zone for the other guys. But back to maximizing firepower. All the squads I drop in are maxed out for Special weapons....which means 3 suicide command squads (each w/ 4 special weapons) 2 vet squads (each w/ 3 special weapons) and 2 suicide demo squads (w/ 3 special weapons). What this allows is a firebase in the rear to take out hordes/ give AT support where needed....and allows the DS guys to specialize in taking out Elites or Tank Hunting, etc.

So to summarize: Strengths: can have a load of Special Weapons, can (if you take LI) infiltrate half your army and DS the other half, is loads of fun to play
    Weaknesses: Not many men, lack of armor, win big/lose big style of play, takes practice to get used to,

Can't think of anything else. Good luck and welcome to the Guard!
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"To each his own"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Y'he Sha'is
    My questions are:
    "I've heard a lot of talk about how good a marine drop army is. Would a drop marine list always be better than a drop IG list?"
    "Would this work either tactically and/or physically with so many men on the board?"
    "Tanks seem like an important part of the IG army, but do you need tanks in an army (I'm pretty sure I can't drop tanks), because they don't really match, fluffwise."
    "Does anyone play/play against an army like this?"
    "What are the problem(s) and strengths of this army."
    "General advice on making a list like this?"
    YAY! Finally a good topic that doesn't involve stupid questions:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Now, on to your questions. I first started IG about...2 years ago now. And my first army was Harakoni Warhawks, so I've tested a few different approaches to the Drop troop list. First, I'll answer what you've asked, then move on to things I think you should try.

1) Drop Pod armies for SM are good...But I've seen them get wooped by Tau in close range shooting...It's not pretty. They are, of course, better of than most IG drop lists because they all show up pretty quick, where as chances are your IG will arrive piece-meal.

2) I dunno about having so many men, as I used Carapace armour in my list. Carapace allows you to survive standard shooting AND fair alot better in CC, which will be frequent in a drop army. Dropping Whole 50-man platoons with only Plasma or Grenade Launchers...Or Meltas would be a cheap way to get alot of troops into play at once though. At around 450 points (Rough calculation) you could have a command squad with 4 meltas, and then 5 squads with plasmas and maybe Vet sarges or Vox networks... All arriving at once.

3) In my list I almost always took a bassie for support, but more often than not it will get destroyed by your opponents DSing troops as they will have nothing better to go after. Demolsihers also work good as a forward assault vehicle.

4) Yes...I did:yes:

5) The Weakness, as I mentioned earlier, is the arrival of your army in small-bite sized-portions. Your not gonna have alot of troops on at once unless you make some lucky rolls. However, since this is the case, you can often DS in one area, watch the enemy smash that Platoon or Sentinel Squadron to pieces with his full strength while laughing at you, then shudder as you DS on the opposite side of the Map...It's a good way to keep his force moving.

Another weakness is that CC will happen alot, as DSing troops will tend to be closer to the enemy lines than normaly wanted for an IG army. I countered this problem with Carapace armour to make my men a little more stout in CC, along with Veteran Sarges armed with CCWs and Laspistols for those extra attacks.

6) Ok, some tips I'd give are as follows:

-Don't DS your whole army. I'd usually take one full platoon and a lascannon sentinel squad on the ground in the begining. This way you have a decent amount of bodies on the field, and some anti-tank for those pesky armoured units.

-Carapace Armour, Iron Discipline, Die Hards, Sharpshooters and Special Weapons Squads should all be viable doctrines. Carapace I've already babbled enough about. Iron Discipline is a given. Die Hards should only be used if your thinking about tooling yourself out for CC as it will give you a slight Ld advantage when out numbered in CC. Sharpshooters is for heavy weapon squads armed with Lascannons or Missile Launchers (I recomend the latter, as they are more versatile). As a side note, never take heavy weapon platoons, it's a waste of a doctrine point when you can have 5 Squads in your HQ, and then Sentinels. Lastly, and probably my favorite for DSing armies, is special weapon squads. These babies allow you to take some extra Melta-madness or Suicide Demo Charge-Splosions into your army for that fun "I just threw bodies at you and now I'm laughing at your expense" experience. Demo Charges are down right deadly to infantry and light vehicle squadrons. If only you could take more than one....

-Your MAIN HQ should be tooled out to be very mobile. I recomend 2 Grenade Launchers, A medic and a Standard Bearer. This will give your troops a fighting chance in CC, plus you can move and shoot while taking light fire and not have to worry too much about it. For your leader you could go the standard Power Weapon/Bolt Pistol route, or take a JO and then a Commissar For that Nice Ld Bonus to everyone around him. Ld is VERY important to watch in a drop troop army...As any mistakes could mean all your men are being routed off-field in a hurry.

-Veterans vs Stormtroopers. If your taking Carapace armour, Veterans win, hands down. They can have that extra special weapon, making them more mobile plus they've got carapace now anyways. Otherswise go with stormtroopers as the Armour bonus will help you out in a counter charge sense.

I hope this helped you out. Good luck, I loved playing the Drop Troop army and I hope you will too:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basing your army around stormship troopers sounds cool. my basic colour scheme was knida inspired by unifroms in the movie. its a nice idea and cadians would be perfect models for the job apart from having lasguns instead of morittas
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

+ Reply to Thread