core Knights - next steps? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

core Knights - next steps?

I recently switched to Daemonhunters after playing Dark Eldar for a few years (bit of a change, I know!) I have the beginnings of a pure Grey Knights army, two squads of five PAGKs, five GKTs and a Brother Captain/Grand Master. Currently my main tactic is to start with the PAGKs on the field and deep strike the Terminators with a homer, when I get near the enemy's HQ unit(s). So my question is, what next? Any help or opinions would be welcome here. I'm considering getting a dread for heavy fire support. Also, for 1000 pt games, should my HQ be a captain or grand master?

Last edited by Baphomet; July 21st, 2006 at 21:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Welcome!

You're going to get a lot of different opinions here, so don't take a single person's word for it. After enough of us post, you'll probably see a few clear paths to take

So my question is, what next?
    Well, if you're keeping it a pure Grey Knights army, I'd strongly suggest another 10 PAGK, used to make both of your 5-man squads 10-man instead. They'll do more for you than any other thing you could buy. Buy them via the blisters, not the boxes, because the boxes will give you Justicars and Incinerators, two things you don't yet need more of. Remember, PAGK/FAGK are the core of your army. You can *never* go wrong with adding more of them. If you're so inclined, a third full squad of 10 would make this a very solid list.

After that, a Dreadnought might be a good path. There are three builds that I suggest to everyone:
    1) Assault Cannon/Incinerator/DCCW - Very effective, against both infantry and vehicles, but only at short ranges (24"). Can back up your GK in melee, which is very handy.
    2) Twin-linked Lascannon/Missile Launcher - Good anti-vehicle. The 48" range of both weapons allows this guy to stay back out of the worst of the enemy's fire, while still being able to inflict severe damage. Best anti-tank build, but very specialized.
    3) Plasma Cannon/Missile Launcher - A good build for fighting Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and Necrons, as the PC's template negates their 3+ armor saves. Against less-armored armies, the ML's template also does a lot of damage - and two templates per turn is *very* useful. I wouldn't suggest this for your first Dreadnought, though.

Also, for 1000 pt games, should my HQ be a captain or grand master?
    Most definitely a Brother Captain. A GM would be 1/6th of your entire list in one model! You won't benefit fully from the GM's force weapon until larger games (usually 2000pts+, but many like him in 1500pt games as well), nor can you afford to spend so many points on one model.

I would really suggest dropping all GK Terminators other than a lone Brother Captain until you hit 1500. They're beautiful models and very good on the table, yes, but you can get two PAGK/FAGK for each GKT you field, and that'll give you twice the stormbolter attacks, half again as many melee attacks, and twice the wounds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest the Brother Captain, however pure grey knight army will be slow & vulnerable. A dread might be good for now, but when you build up i suggest the land raider, you can block LoS to walking PAGK should you need to and should it die its cover save will still help you, it will draw fire away from the paper thin dreads, while providing Lascannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Megalo has pretty well put it the way I would.

I would make my first Dread a Twin-Linked Lascannon/ Missle Launcher variety. Grey knights aren't short of anti-troop with S6 weapons and Stormbolters, but they are short of special weapons like Meltas to take out tanks, especially AV13+ or fast Skimmers.

I like to have a lone Inquisitor w/Psycannon + an Assassin to make my games a little more variable and fun.

Cheers, and welcome to the Brotherhood.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Lascannons were my main thought. I got killed effectively by just a single tank a little while back, I need something to deal with vehicles etc. Maybe a land raider would be better, both a big gun and transport in one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it helps, I mainly play against Chaos SM and Black Templars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet
    Thanks. Lascannons were my main thought. I got killed effectively by just a single tank a little while back, I need something to deal with vehicles etc. Maybe a land raider would be better, both a big gun and transport in one?
    IMO, the LRC is only way to go for Grey Knights, but I would never put it in a list under 1500pts for sure. LRC have as good Tank-busting ability now as a regular LR, but they are way better at Anti-troops, and can transport more.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Go Pure GKs! They rule!

But drop those GKTs faster than you would White Hot Iron! One af the assets of the GK units is thier stormbolters. ans the fact that they will never stop marching at the enemy, even when it comes to assault. seeing as you'll be outnumbered no matter who you go against you need all the numbers you can get. Heres an example, in my 2000 point list, I have a grand total of 54 Models (50 PAGKs, 3 Dreads and a GM) so most player's 1000 point lists outnumber me, so just imagine how it is at 2000 points!

But the best part is that I get 108 Stormbolter shots and 12 Assault Cannon shots a turn. Quite nasty.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop them?? After all the effort I put into them? :blink: On the other hand, I'm sure as hell not getting any more until I pass 2k pts, probably later than that. The consensus seems to be more core troops, so I think two more PAGK squads will be my next step. Then a heavy-support unit like a dread or LR after that. Thanks for the help, all of you. ^_^
    Last edited by Baphomet; July 21st, 2006 at 22:24.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Oh and one more thing, never have PAGK squads number any less than full strengh. So basiucally, always have full squads.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast