Space Wolves: Long Fangs or Predator Annihilator? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolves: Long Fangs or Predator Annihilator?

Well, the title pretty much says it all . . . for heavy support, what do most of you find as the best choice? I did some calculations, confirmed by a friend, that 4 MLs in a Long Fang pack has basically the same chances of killing the same number of points per turn as the Predator Annihilator. So I think it basically comes down to survivability. I think the biggest thing is that unlike a Devastator Squad, the Long Fangs don't get any extra meat shields . . .

. . . what do you guys think, which is the better choice?

"There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Long Fangs, unlike the predator, there are no many chances of the longfangs being killed in 1 shot, and Fire Control allows the longfangs to kill more points than a predator.
    A Tank will fire over 1 squad at the time, with Long Fangs you can fire to 2 squads, if you use Plasma Cannons or Krak missiles (i think those where the blast template ones) you can kill 2 low numbers squads in 1 turn.

But then again, i use 13th co. so i can't use predators, never tried them, i don't like tanks of any kind, as they can be killed in turn 1, and are a lot of points.

Nami kotogotoku, waga tate to nare. Ikazuchi kotogotoku, waga yaiba to nare.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

No contest, Long fangs. You have 4 guns, not 3; you can shoot 2 targets, not 1; and you can survive eing hit more than 1 time.

Long fangs hands down.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I go the other way. I think the preditor is the way to go. If you give it a lascannon and heavy bolters you have a mobile firing platform; mobile being the key advantage. If Longfangs could infiltrate I would take them, but with them just sitting in your deployment zone I don't like them. Also I think that it sometimes is just as easy to kill 5 wounds of long fangs as it is to take down a vehicle; especially if you put them were they can seen and be seen. Just remember that every squad can kill a longfang, and not every squad can destroy a preditor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longfangs

i'd go with the long fangs..... its easier to blow up a predator than it is to kill 5 long fangs, i had that problem before i bought the predator instead of devastator and everygame it got blown up, but when i got the devastator squad there would always be a few guys left at the end of the games

GET LONGFANGS!!!!!:yes:
    AM I THE ONLY NERD WHO PLAYS FOOTBALL!!!!!!

40k= Crimson Fists, Kroot Mercenaries, Harkoni Helldivers
    Blood Bowl= Orks, Humans, Ogres, Lizardmen

Go to www.mcsmstudios.com for a hearty laugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by userpaladin
    both...
    Too many points when you have scouts and a vennie. I go with Long Fangs with ML, bare pack leader, and a wolf guard leader with just an auspex. I add a bolter if I have a free point or two. He gives you an extra wound and the early shots at infiltrators.

Then, i'd take a four or five man scout pack with meltagun and PW, possibly a WGL with thunder hammer, and a vennie with either a lascannon or plasma cannon unless you plan on drop podding him.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, i'm actually surprised at the bulk of responses favoring the Long Fangs . . . Now I have the models to outfit either, so thats not really an issue, but if you can keep the enemy shooting at the front armor of the pred, don't you think it would last longer? Especially if you know that your opponent has one, maybe two squads total that has anything that can even touch it?

I dunno, maybe it just depends on the particular battle and deployment. But the point was brought up, and a good one it is, that the pred is much more mobile, whereas you really need to deploy the Long Fangs really well or else they lose alot of value.

Plus the Long Fangs are quite a bit more expensive than even a fully kitted Predator Annihilator.

More comments? Objections? Flames? :-P
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Battle-Brother Wags
    Wow, i'm actually surprised at the bulk of responses favoring the Long Fangs . . . Now I have the models to outfit either, so thats not really an issue, but if you can keep the enemy shooting at the front armor of the pred, don't you think it would last longer? Especially if you know that your opponent has one, maybe two squads total that has anything that can even touch it?

I dunno, maybe it just depends on the particular battle and deployment. But the point was brought up, and a good one it is, that the pred is much more mobile, whereas you really need to deploy the Long Fangs really well or else they lose alot of value.

Plus the Long Fangs are quite a bit more expensive than even a fully kitted Predator Annihilator.

More comments? Objections? Flames? :-P

I used to use a pred, no ifs ands or buts. Every game, I had a pred annie on the field. And every game, it died before it made it's points back. Twice it died to a warp blast from a winged tyrant. :shifty:

Anyway, true, the pred annie is more mobile, but really only if you have the HB sponsons, which means only one dedicated anti-tank weapon. That's a good thing when you've slaughtered all the enemy vehicles, but a bad thing before that. I prefer LFs. If you give them a good line of fire and plug up any holes with your Dread, your enemy will be hard-pressed to manouever his armor and keep out of LoS. And by the time he figures it all out, your transports are in his face unloading troops.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im a hypocrite

I will admit i have a pred but i never make it an annihilator i use hb side sponsors
    (with hunter killer as my "lucky" backup) but then again i have a devastator squad of all plasma cannons
    AM I THE ONLY NERD WHO PLAYS FOOTBALL!!!!!!

40k= Crimson Fists, Kroot Mercenaries, Harkoni Helldivers
    Blood Bowl= Orks, Humans, Ogres, Lizardmen

Go to www.mcsmstudios.com for a hearty laugh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast