Idea for heavy support - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idea for heavy support

so i was thinking of taking two Inq. 1 with 3 multi melta servitors plus 3 acolytes and maybe a fimiliar or 2(for anti tank)
    and another one (inq)with 3 servitors with heavy bolters plus some acolytes (for heavy support)
    i was thinking of marching them behind my GKPAs

it seems quite a good use of points about 170pts each or more depending...

any comment ?

Last edited by Grey nut; July 27th, 2006 at 15:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Not bad, though I'm not a big fan of Multi Meltas.

I'm preety sure that you can't give them Assault Cannons though.

~Yoss
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yossanrion
    Not bad, though I'm not a big fan of Multi Meltas.

I'm preety sure that you can't give them Assault Cannons though.

~Yoss
    I think he means Heavy Bolters (but that's just my guess )

As for multi-meltas. I think they're only effective in half the range. And getting your Lord + retinue so close to a tank... I don't really know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

so i was thinking of taking two Inq. 1 with 3 multi melta servitors plus 3 acolytes and maybe a fimiliar or 2(for anti tank)
    and another one (inq)with 3 servitors with assault cannons plus some acolytes (for heavy support)
    i was thinking of marching them behind my GKPAs

it seems quite a good use of points about 170pts each or more depending...
    Well, the big problem is longevity. Inq/Lord units are probably the most fragile units you can field in a DH list because every model is T3/S3, and the henchmen are W1 with armor saves between 4+ and 6+. Even if you bulk up these units with some extra models (which I assume is your reasoning behind familiars and acolytes), they won't last too long.

The choice of weapons is a problem too. Mult-meltas are really only effective for armor-hunting in 12", and then only when the unit with them hasn't moved - consider moving your fragile unit within a foot of the enemy and then leaving them there for a turn so that you can shoot during the next!

And don't forget speed either. These guys are on foot - what enemy would allow their tanks to drive within range of such a slow but deadly unit?

Assault Cannons, as has been pointed out, aren't an option here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to true...so sad seemed like a good idea at the time)but they will never get there.
    but maybe ok for terminator hunting?
    ps yes i meant : heavy bolters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Prolly the best option for High Strength/Low AP for DH is either take inducted IG w/ Missles/Lascannons or go w/ Plasma on the Inquisitor's Squad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shooty inq

so an Inq with two heavy bolter servitors and 1 warrior with plasma cannon and maybe an acolyte or 2 or other ret. member(a squad which could kill lots of 3+ save opponents imo)
    move into cover and lay down long range fire power.

so then....

1)what to equip Inq with?Psycannon?(pricy)but right range,and lots of shots
    termy armor ?(inq with termy armor cheaper than inq lord and seems a better deal.)

2) is it worth the points? should i not rather go with stormies with transport and meltas for about 200 points?they should hand out more low powered shots and take more wounds over all

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey nut
    1)what to equip Inq with?Psycannon?(pricy)but right range,and lots of shots
    termy armor ?(inq with termy armor cheaper than inq lord and seems a better deal.)
    A psycannon is a necessity in a shooty inquisitor squad. As for other wargear, take a pass on everything except auspex and a targeter. The armor just isn't worth it. If your opponent wants to take out the inquisitor and retinue, they can do it easily. Don't waste points in vain trying to keep them alive, 'cause it won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey nut
    2) is it worth the points? should i not rather go with stormies with transport and meltas for about 200 points?they should hand out more low powered shots and take more wounds over all
    If you're looking primarily for anti-armor, your best options in a pure DH list are dreadnoughts with TLLC/ML and mounted ISTs with melta guns. They're not all that far apart in cost, either, but I personally prefer the dread option because you aren't relying on a transport to get you up to your target. You should be able to just fire away from your first turn.

If you're asking about whether a shooty inquisitor is worth it, I think so! It's almost the only place we can have a squad with a significant number of heavy weapons in it. Think of it like a space marine devastator squad, only not nearly as tough. That's how it should be used.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Question to number6. Why would you buy a targeter for an inquisitor if he has gun servitiors. The gun servitiors come with targeters.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior
    Question to number6. Why would you buy a targeter for an inquisitor if he has gun servitiors. The gun servitiors come with targeters.
    Good point! You don't. I sometimes field a lone inquisitor, though -- especially in low-point games where I paradoxically want an assassin but no extraneous points on a retinue or on ISTs. Then it can be useful if I have a single point or two left over.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast