Librarium Online Forums banner

Blood angel veterans

363 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Kristofer 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was makeing a blood angel list and was wondering why the honour guard and veteran assault squads cost so much more then normal assault troops as there no better then normal blood angel marines

And why do the jump packs cost so much for the honour guard , i cant see anyone taking jump packs for there honour guard as cool as it would be

I think i will just get 3 fast attack assault squads as they cost the same as normal marine assault squads but still get the blood angels rules

And i know blood angels are better in close combat but there fast attack assault squads still cost the same as codex marines

Am i missing something here or are the honour guard and veteran assault squads massively overpriced?

Any help from the blood angels out there would be appreciated

#2 ·
Does the points cost perhaps reflect the amount of upgrades they can have? The Honor Guard has access to a lot of goodies (though of course to have the goodies they become rather prohibitive points wise)...the Veteran Assault Squad as well, but not as much. I don't know whether to say I think they're over priced or not. I never use them, myself...I usually just have an assault squad or two in addition to chaplain-led Death Company. Higher point games I stick a Sanguiniary High Priest or a Captain in with one of the assault squads. Meh.

#3 ·
Both are very expensive options, and are the reason why they are rarely seen on lists.
If I remember right, veteran assault squads can be upgraded to the gills with wargear and such through terminator honours and CAN become very potent, but extremely expensive.
Honour guard are the equivalent to the command squad available to the "nilla" counterparts.

For best cost-effect ratio, the assault squads are a far better option. I've only seen them in "fluffy" lists where the backstory and style override the designer's desire for efficiency.

#4 ·
Well, Veteran Assault Squads have access to those wonderful meltaguns... I know that a unit that has jump packs AND carries melta weapons is hard to pass up... The only thing is the points cost. Veteran Assault Marines can be VERY effective, but they'll need to be used wisely. NOTE: Should you choose to take a Veteran Assault squad with a melta, be careful that you don't shoot a tank only to find that you trapped yourself in the open in front of some nasty gun.

Honour Guard are very similar to Veteran Assault Marines, but are even nastier. I know that some people don't use them with Jump Packs and just Drop Pod onto the battlefield instead. If done right (which is hard, don't get me wrong) they could charge the turn after they come down with a bunch of nasty power weapon attacks.

#5 ·
When I used to play Blood Angels I found that Veteran Assault Squads were really usefull espescailly with the special weapons they can tote around with a jump pack. 12 inch move and then 12 inch fire range against tanks is deadly so they were always worth the points for me. Honour Gaurd isn't so usefull reason being what do you need an expensive retinue unit for when you allready have a bunch of fanatics you got for practically for free following around your Chaplain. I found it pointless to spend so many points on an honour gaurd I'll be afraid to loose when I could be just as effective with a death company that could have powerfists, power weapons, and an extra roll to ignore wounds. So, Vetran Assault Squads for sure, Honour Gaurd definetly not. Good Hunting.

Krevzi:w00t:

#6 ·
Ok - the high point-cost is just a thing from the old 'dex. When we get a new one (in two to three years) they will fix the point-cost. As of now - I use veterans when I don't have any more fast attack slots (as to say: when I have filled them with tornados and bikes). And the terminator honour upgrade makes them worth taking in small units. I figure that units of around 6 is probably the best way to go. Skip meltaguns and meltabombs (you don't want good CC troops that goes tank-hunting) go with the PP upgrade that's not very expensive. Then add a veteran with PW or PF and they'll be great.

Honourguard can be kickass if you don't upgrade them fully, just take a couple or so PW to further enhance the squad in CC.

Other than this - do not ever field them! They are a really huge point-sink!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.