"Assaulty" Chapters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Assaulty" Chapters

I've recently decided that I want to start playing a different breed of Space Marine and I want to go with something that's a bit more Assault oriented. So, I've been looking at the following:

Space Wolves
    Space Wolves 13th Company
    Raven Guard (i.e. Captain Shrike, etc..)

Can people who play these armies give me a quick rundown on each?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Well, heres a try.

Space wolves (my furry boyz) are a fairly balanced list that excels in close combat, but can play the ranged game as well when necessary. They have all your basic space marine tanks and the option to have a russ exterminator besides. I'm rather fond of them as an army to play and they have some of the greatest fluff in the 40k universe. (wolf-like vikings that roam the stars).

The 13th company is much more CC oriented from what I've heard. They have no vehicles of any type, but their basic troups are close combat beasts of death. This is not to say they're invicible, but you really don't want to tango with a pack of wulfen or pretty much any of the other rather nasty 13th company units. (these guys are Space wolves that have been in the eye of terror since the end of the horus heresy. So they're super elite and a fair number of them have transformed into wulfen (think werewolf in power armour)).

The raven guard are much closer to the index astartes than the wolves. As they do in fact use the trait system to work they're list. I don't know a whole lot about them but I dp know that their speciality is lightening fast attacks. So that means a hefty number of assault squads and a fair force of mounted tactical squads. Can't tell you much fluff since, as stated earlier, I don't really know it.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want something really close combat oriented to counter my Dark Angels force so I'm thinking of starting a small squad of 13th Company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Hmm whilst 13th coy can assault well, they combine this with varrious other tactics as do standard spacewolves, other assault based marine chapters would include:

BA
    BT
    RG

But you can also do it through traits, depends on how you want to assault (jump packs/bikes/scouts/drop pods/rhinos etc) need more detail
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I run an assault based dark angel army, and it seems to work really well. Everyone tends to overlook just how powerful the stubborn ability can be in hth, people see dark angels and just tend to think "intractible = shooty" and thats it.

That said, I dont have much experiance with the other chapters however. I did field Blood Angels back in 2nd Ed, and they were great with the death company etc, but i'm no longer sure how they would be currently. Still pretty hard-core carnage junkies, i'd expect.

+ Reply to Thread