Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I was thinking about getting a venerable dread in the near future but wasn't sure what weapons to get for it. Any suggestions? I am pretty newb when it comes to rules and what not so I would really appreciate your suggestions.
Basically I would like to know:
1) What weapons you would choose
and if possible -
2) Why would you choose them?
Thanks in advance!
Basically, you've got two realistic, competative options.
1) Assault cannon, Power fist: Assault cannons = really, really good. Also, this is what Dreads come with as standard, so it's nice and cheap points-wise.
2) Twin-linked Lascannon, Missile Launcher: For tank killing. Good if you lack firepower in the rest of your army. If you're giving it the venerable upgrade you might as well splash out the extra 10 pts and give it the Tank-Hunters skill. Fairly expensive points-wise, but will make enemy tanks wish they weren't nearby.
Out of the two, I'd go for the Assault Cannon & Power Fist myself, because it is how I imagine dreadnoughts to act, stomping up to close range, annihilating things with a big gun, and then stomping on troops. Much more cinematic than standing back and blowing up tanks...
Hope that is useful, mate.
minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
Last updated 09/01/11
"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey
"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87
two DCCW they are like the coolest weapons in the game aside from lightening claws.
My armies are studly!
Hyrulian Knights 7/3/1
Take the fight to them
Have faith is suspician
(><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!
It does really depend on what you want your dreadnought to do.
1. For CC take an assault cannon with power fist and i would suggest a flamer as it can improve combat if you are supporting a unit rather than charging a dreadnought on its own.
2. Long range take lascannon or maybe even a plasma cannon with power fist again. As these two combos can provide range while still habouring as a CC threat.
When buying these models go 2 forge world as GW version is a total rip off in money.
"The space marines are the super human warriors of mankind. But the Imperial guard are the strongest in courage and faith for what is a man with out faith?"
I take it you are referring to the GW metal venerable dread? My local GW store is a battle bunker and they carry most of the forgeworld stuff - so technically I would probably be picking it up there... but I know what you mean...Originally Posted by commander al
As for what I want to use it for - not really sure. I guess I will probably go close combat with it, maybe at some point add a second dread that can do longer range stuff. I know this isn't the right way to play but I am more interested in the "cool" factor rather than functionality to fit the theme of my home grown space marine chapter... I just happen to really like the look of the forgeworld dreadnought!
Thanks again for all the input. If anything else can be added that would be great!