Thunderhammers... Useful? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderhammers... Useful?

I am very demorilized, I bought 5 assault terminators and equipped them with Thunder hammers and Shields (they both look so unbelievably cool), but little did I discover that they recieve little advantage compared to a Termy with Storm Bolter and Power Fist.

Have a look:

Thunder Hammer + Shield =

Pro:
    +4 Invulnerable save in Combat (Not bad, but not revolutionary)
    Powerfist + Initiative 1 next round for opponent if survived the wounds (How often does a creature in Warhammer 40k survive 10-20 blows with a S8 Hit No armour save attack?)
    Automatically Crew Shaken (Not bad, but once again, who can survive 10-20 S8 attacks?)

Con:
    Loses 1+ attack in close combat due to not actually having 2 attack weapons (eg. Storm Bolter + PowerFist)
    Obviously no Storm Bolter to attack with first. (Big disadvantage, especially if you could have equipped assualt cannons)
    Very few monsters survive a 15 dice attack (average) of 5-10 powerfisted Terminators. (Thunder hammers dont actually make a difference between a powerfist)

So basically Thunderhammers are majorly disadvantaged, with minor advantages.

Could someone find me inspiration to keep my 5 termies kick ass looking (Thunder Hammer) and not have to go through the process of ripping thier armours off and replacing them with something remotely better (2 lighting claws).

Eager to hear responces! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay on the point of your disadvantages. Storm Bolters don't count as a CC weapon so, no, normal termies don't have an extra CC attack. Now the lightning claw termies do get the extra attack. Its common consensus that normally your assualt termies should have maybe 1 or 2 thunder hammer weilders per unit. They are, as you've noticed, used to take down the tough stuff that lightning claws can't hurt. While the thunder hammer doesn't have great advantages they do have some uses. If you target IC's or other units that have invulnerable saves the Initiative reducement takes place EVEN if they don't suffer a wound, because all it says you have to do is hit them. Not major, but something to consider. Also, now that all termies have a 5+ inv. the shield isn't awesome but its still a boost. Other than that, yah they look sweet, my best advice would be to get another set of termies with lightning claws so you can mix in some of the thunder hammers. (expensive but ripping off arms does suck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

I would just like to point out that thunderhammers do have their uses against vehicles, as they can auto stun and have a chance of hurting them, Twin LC's do not.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

116 (x5)

Darn! Double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thunger Hammers CAN be useful... but rarely. Powerfist/Lightning claw is almost invariably always the better way to go.

But the Hammers are so darn cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a very satisfying responce! Thanks.

couple of questions:

It says in the Black Templar codex the following description of Thunder Hammers:

"...Any model wounded by it and not killed may not attack again until Initiative 1 blows are struck in the next assault phase..."

To your statement that the initiative is reduced if it just HIT does not align itself to the quote above.

Final question... what does "IC" stand for?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

116 (x5)

Final question... what does "IC" stand for?
    Independant Character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranza
    "...Any model wounded by it and not killed may not attack again until Initiative 1 blows are struck in the next assault phase..."
    Your right on this one. When you struck an opponent but don't kill it he strikes the next assault phase after your thunderhammer. Making it an usefull weapon against high I characters.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Thunderhammer issue, would I be better to equip my Captain with a Thunderhammer or Powerfist? Just for purposes of context, he's usually got a command group of Hephaestean Guard (These are Ultramarine Honour Guard for rules purposes, I field a UM army in terms of rules, but with different colour schemes, models and fluff).
    Warboss Skagrad of the Ork Klan!
    Wins: 3/Losses: 1/Draws: 0

Senior Member blood_angelmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderhammers are the most unused weapon in the Space Marine codex although they are extreml usefull. Against vehicles the hammer auto stuns if it causes another effect and against multi wound models it doesn't allow them to attack untill after you attack again. Think about this against a deamon prince. You attack, maybe wound him once or twice and he attacks killing off some squad members (espescially if its equiped with a dread axe:cry: ) then you get to attack him before he kills off the rest of your squad, and with the double strength the hammer is just as good as a Power fist and adds in a cool effect. I used to equip my Death Company Chaplain with a thunder hammer and this allowed my Death Company to take dreads head on and not have any fear. I don't remember how many times i took down a dread and other vehicles with the thunderhammer, its just cooler than the powerfist! I still won't equip my sergents with them but for assault termies and possibly close combat HQs they're just cool to have. I guess it narrows down to personal preference rather than actual game strategy. I like the thunderhammer and I've seen it work in games before against high intitive models like the daemon prince so I say that they definetly have their uses and will continue to find a place in my army.

Krevzi:w00t:

W-1 L-0 D-0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast