Ideas for Footslogging - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for Footslogging

Well I'm going to try to make a 1850 Space Wolf footslogging list, however I was wondering how to go about it. Now for COD I don't have any real problems but for normal games I'm trying to figure out what would be the most effective mix to allow me to get into CC without too many loses.

My first basic footslogging list was just packed with marines, blood claws and grey hunters. This works okay, and is what I use for COD normally, but if they have good ordance (like IG) or can pin easily (like Tau) I'm in trouble.

The two basic thoughts I've had on how to best overcome this is put in bikers or put in some tanks. If I went with tanks though I think I might as well put grey hunters in rhinos. The bikers also have some problems. My two options for bikes are either blood claw bikers or attack bikes. If you're not familiar with the the blood claws, they get an extra bonus attack on the charge (so normal BC's get 4 attacks on the charge), but their WS and BS are below normal marines. The attack bikes are looking pretty good though.

With the tanks I'm thinking I might as well use vindicators, and maybe a Leman Russ Exterminator. These tanks can take a beating but I'm kinda trying to stay away from vehicles. The other thing is they're pretty expensive point wise. I also thought about wirlwinds but I want some better tank killing ability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Sounds cool but you might want some vehicles for anti-tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Well.. Footslugging isnt wolfs at there best.

However, if you foot slug, always take a rune preast. In this way, you can hug cover with some of your army, and keep at least one sqaud in full cover every turn, probably the lead squad.

You might want to play 13th company. They are the best foot sluggers around for MEQs, they make korn bezekers look soft...

There best advantage is a scout move + deadly in CC.

Anyway, normal wolves work best when drop podded, have you considered this?

If you foot slug, take your greyhunters as fire support, and your blood claws as CC squads.

generally i like to make my foot slugging blood claws 12 man, this means your opponent will need to kill 7 of them to stop them from scoring, and it pretty much garantees you 3 powerfists will get into CC. (always take powerfists with blood claws, dont pick up special weapons)

Next you greyhunters, unlike in drop poding army, these guys will probably take a back seat to blood claws.

Anyway, your greyhunter packs are probably best at 6 man.

Its usually a good idea to take at least 1 squad with a melta gun - i like two, so i can have a bit of anti tank up front.

Then one squad with a plasma gun is also a good idea, enemy baddies, like termintors really dont like those.

I suggest something like 2-3 squads of small greyhunters and 3 squads of large blood claws.

Id never field space wolves with out a few landspeeders for fire support and anti tank.

AC + HB is the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have a drop pod army currently. However I want to try something different. Thanks for the tips on how to form them up. What I'm mainly concerned about is to be able to at least slow enemy heavy shooting from hurting my guys so much. Your land speeder idea is okay however I would probably prefer attack bikes if I was tank hunting, plus the bikes can charge if neccesary. I can see why people like the landspeeder but it just seems to fragile. I play a lot of people where LOS is never an issue so I'm don't think the speeders wouldn't be able to last. Good ideas though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Venerable HQ Dread should help by getting first turn... that's what I'd take. Set up agressively, to take advantage. But if you don't get first turn, you'll probably lose. But it's worth the gamble I think.

And I would get a Rune Priest with Chooser of the Slain to counter enemy Infiltrate squads. Put him with a big squad of Blood Claws w/powerfists.

I would use big squads, your going to take losses. I would be tempted to have one squad of Grey Hunters in a drop pod for fear, exploitation, or reinforcement.

Oh, don't forget the Wolf Scouts. They work to keep the enemy away from the edge, where your first turn movement can reach them easier.

Warprat ;)
    Last edited by warprat; August 14th, 2006 at 00:17.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

13th company is foot slugging at its best.

-you get a scout move with all your guys

-one of your HQs can teleport a squad of guys around with him, if they are long fangs (not actually long fangs) Then youve got a lot of melta guns in range of tanks and such.

13th company is the ultimate wolfs floot slugging force.

Plus you can take feniris wolfs, which are beasts, so they are uber fast, to assault things like devs.

Consider 13th company found in the codex 13th Black Crusaid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay this is a basic skelaton army I'm thinking for in terms of footslogging. I haven't worked out the points yet so this probably won't fit but we'll see.

3 units of 16 blood claws, 3 powerfists and wolfguard with powerfist

2 units of 10 Grey Hunters

now for the stuff that gets switched around

2 vindicators with POTMS and maybe extra armor;
    3 Landspeeder Tornadoes, assault cannons (each in FA slot)

or

2 units of Blood claw bikers;
    3 dreadnoughts, in drop pods

Now I didn't put in the HQ's because I was thinking what guys would work best. For the bottom choice one of the dreadnoughts would be a Venerable one always. For my top choice the HQ's would probably just walk along with the Blood Claws or Grey Hunters, and I'd always have a rune priest. For my bottom choice I might mount the HQ's on bikes and have them back up the blood claw bikers. The top choice could also take scouts but I don't think they'd be particularly useful in many cases. So any thoughts?

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

thats a hell of a lot of marines, i like it. i thinkwolf scouts would be an excellent choice as they can move in and assault units shooting you up like devvies.

Also, what seems to be you main factor is a serious lack of ranged AT. But for this army you want something mobile right? I recomend Wolf guard terminators wih cyclone missile launchers to move up with you, also i'ld use some razorbacks with TLLC
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I crunched the numbers and I screwed up:wacko: . I can take about half of each of my choices. So I figure I'll work out a list like this:

Wolf Lord
    Rune Priest
    Venerable Dreadnought in drop pod
    2 Dreads in drop pods
    3 units of 16 bloodclaws
    2 units of 10 Grey hunters

I might put wolf guard in the Grey hunter units for the heck of it if points allow. HQ's will walk along, probably in the units of Blood Claws. The dreads will all have assault cannons and heavy flamers so that should be fun.

+ Reply to Thread