Baal Predator in CoD: Hvy Flamers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baal Predator in CoD: Hvy Flamers

Has anyone tried or seen the BA brand Baal predator at work in Cities of Death? It just hit me the other day that this little baby which can take a twin linked assault cannon and TWO heavy flamers as side sponsoons instead of Hvy Bolters might be a real powerhouse amid the rubble.

!!!---> The topic for discussion is what tactics do you see being employed to take advantage of these varients in our new theater of war? Can you see the Baal being led through city streets with infantry support immoliating dug in troops or perhaps hull down in a stragetic or objective building daring anyone to come take your position? Would they be a powerhouse over lightly armored foes like Tyranids to nullify their obvious cover advantages or a liability as enemy infantry bring close range tankbusting equipment and CC rending weapons to bear? <---!!!

Also...the Melta-Hvy Flamer varient LandSpeeder seems more attractive now in CoD, even moreso than the Baal perhaps with twice the speed and ignoring terrain, reduced penetrating hits and points cost, for about half the firepower. My only qualm with this unit is taking up my Fast Attack slots which I value over Hvy Support. (Blood Angels Assalt Squads FTW!)

EDIT: I almost forgot, the Furioso Dreadnaught with Melta and Hvy flamer! Most likely with drop pod. This could also be a devistating weapon. Basically I think Blood Angels could be well served by CoD and I'm just mulling over heretofor overlooked possibilities. ^_^

Last edited by StevenSane; August 13th, 2006 at 17:28.
    KROOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

That's a good point and brings me to a rules question about using flame templates from a tank.

You measure distance from the hull of the tank to the target, correct? So would you also place the end of the template at the hull rather than from the flamer itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

You place the templates from teh tip of the weapon. Just like that you are messuring another gun from the weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I thought you checked LOS from the physical representation of the gun but actually measure from the hull?

Otherwise if I have a predator with HB sponsons they are set back a small distance from the front of the model, lets say 1". If an opposing player is exactly 36" away from the front of my tank and fires a 36" range weapon at me I can't shoot back? That seems rather rediculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your best bet in COD with the baal would be to try to annilate squads. Now this won't be as effective against space marines, or anything else with a 3+ save, but against bugs and units like firewarriors it'll be hilarious. Just drive up and light'em up. Oh and in the case of the weapons, you measure from the hull, but you normally measure from where the weapon is mounted. So since these are sponson heavy flamers just measure them from the sponsons.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

You check Range of any weapon from the furthest tip of your tanks hull.

As stated in the WH40K rule book.

Simpliarly, you dont check range from the end of your flamer guys gun, you check it from the best side his base, for your shooting perposes.

This prevents any unfair modeling/covertions.

It also ensures that something of equal distance away from you- say you had a vindictor, with a long barrrel - cant hit something, and then not be shot in return at the same range.

Ie you cant claim to hit the gun. So hull to hull/base.

Back on topic.

Not so much a good idea for blood angles, but traits lists, might mass dreadnoughts with heavy flamers and ACs + DCCW, pretty nastly combo.

Flamed/shot/whacked..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not good for blood angels? We get the Furioso dread which is better in close combat, comes with a melta, and is cheaper than the normal dread. Also we get tear attack, black rage, AND red thirst special rules.

I was thinking a good way to approach it would be to charge your baal 1'st turn toward the ruins in the center of the board and link up with one or 2 squads of scout infantry. Then they can roll through block by block down the streets with the infantry a few inches behind the front of the hull. That way, the Baal can roll fowards 6" and burn anything in close proximity or if enemy troops try to get close enough to melt down my tank I can pop smoke and countercharge with my infantry.

As for assault marine and speeders they have double the movement so have more tactical flexibility.

Against MEQ of course this is not nearly as useful, so I'll have to find another pill for them altogether. I know most Blood Angels players stay as far away from terminators as they can but it would be really fun to field a unit of clawed up assault termies pop into battle on a scouts homing becon and tear through the opposition.
    KROOT

+ Reply to Thread