Is IG a Good Army Choice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is IG a Good Army Choice?

I was thinking about making an IG army next. Now i have a BT army but i like IG and i want to know what you IG players think are the best parts and worst parts of the Imperial Guard. And if you have any good tips i would appreciate it. Also, if you have any other army suggestions i would like that also.

K.fatalias :ninja:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, you want the good and the bad, huh?
    First off, I love how there are so many models when you set up on the table. It also gives you more flexability; the more units you have, hte more options available. Second, the tanks. Ordinance (really big template) at strength 8, AP 3 for a battlecannon just has to put a smile on you face.
    However, the thing I dont like about IG is that; they are relativly weak (made up for by their numbers) and that it takes so damn long to deploy and move all those guys!
    Eh, thats the short of it, at least in my perspective.
    -Oafe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you like painting and modeling hordes of miniatures? If so, IG is the army for you. If not I would invest in something with smaller numbers on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya oafe pretty much has it, The mass units ( usually upwards of a 100 ) the mass shooting is my fav. all that diddly ( 100 lasguns 10 lascannons, 11 heavybolters and 3 pie-plates) is a lot to deal with. They also look awesome when finished and are very competitive if played right.
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the guard for a variety of reasons. Aside from the fluff ones, in pure game terms they offer many things that are easy to like and are fun to play. Tanks are an obvious strength, but those strengths are well documented so I won't beat that dead horse. I personally like the incredible customability of the Guard. By switching a few doctrines here and there (including the mythical Chapter Approved ones) you can alter your army entirely. You will have access to a wide variety of indirect firing weapons and pinning weapons that are valuable beyond their mere strength and range due to their morale affecting properties. You get to use more "real world" type military gear and strategy than any other army in 40k. You'll have commanders that actually affect the morale of their troops and can even communicate with them via radio. Further improved communications are available to allow deep striking reinforcements to arrive more timely. Advisors can be brought in to bolster the units in your army and increase their effectiveness for specific tasks. A real world organization system for the army allows a massive force to be assembled for only a few force orginization chart slots. All in all - there is a lot to like.

On the other hand, you have to throw out a bunch of units in the Codex. Many will appear quite attractive and for fluff reasons you will want them in your army but the cold and hard points-to-value ratio will keep them in your box. Ogryn are hugely over priced and incapable of taking any of the upgrades or advisors that would make them useful. Tech-Priests are also overpriced and for a one wound model they just aren't worth the trouble. Sanctioned Psykers actually make me violently angry just to think about. It is difficult to think of a more asinine and useless unit in the entireity of 40k than the psykers available to the Guard. Sentinels, while not useless at all are still frustratingly inferior to all of your friends Dreadnoughts and Killer Kans and will not fill the same role as those units do for their armies. All of that being said, any of these units can be used to good effect in the right circumstance with the right commander, they just aren't the easiest or the best mostly due to their questionable point costs.

Thats my two cents, but what do I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaardvark
    I love the guard for a variety of reasons. Aside from the fluff ones, in pure game terms they offer many things that are easy to like and are fun to play. Tanks are an obvious strength, but those strengths are well documented so I won't beat that dead horse. I personally like the incredible customability of the Guard. By switching a few doctrines here and there (including the mythical Chapter Approved ones) you can alter your army entirely. You will have access to a wide variety of indirect firing weapons and pinning weapons that are valuable beyond their mere strength and range due to their morale affecting properties. You get to use more "real world" type military gear and strategy than any other army in 40k. You'll have commanders that actually affect the morale of their troops and can even communicate with them via radio. Further improved communications are available to allow deep striking reinforcements to arrive more timely. Advisors can be brought in to bolster the units in your army and increase their effectiveness for specific tasks. A real world organization system for the army allows a massive force to be assembled for only a few force orginization chart slots. All in all - there is a lot to like.

On the other hand, you have to throw out a bunch of units in the Codex. Many will appear quite attractive and for fluff reasons you will want them in your army but the cold and hard points-to-value ratio will keep them in your box. Ogryn are hugely over priced and incapable of taking any of the upgrades or advisors that would make them useful. Tech-Priests are also overpriced and for a one wound model they just aren't worth the trouble. Sanctioned Psykers actually make me violently angry just to think about. It is difficult to think of a more asinine and useless unit in the entireity of 40k than the psykers available to the Guard. Sentinels, while not useless at all are still frustratingly inferior to all of your friends Dreadnoughts and Killer Kans and will not fill the same role as those units do for their armies. All of that being said, any of these units can be used to good effect in the right circumstance with the right commander, they just aren't the easiest or the best mostly due to their questionable point costs.

Thats my two cents, but what do I know.
    Quite alot! I have really lerned something from you, thanks!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also learned a lot from all of you thanks for taking the time to write i am truly considering the Imperial Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite thing about the gaurd is the sheer amount of shots. and in games which you dont have to move, you will rarely lose. pie plates HBs, a good helping of snipers and mortars to pin a few units, and loads of lil shots every where. and anytime an average gaurdsmen brings down something superior to it, namely just about anything, you'll get a rush, from the irony that an average human given a lil gun, and thrown in their thousands to defend planets from the scum of the galaxy, just killed an ancient super powerful warrior, who has lived through hundreds of fights.

the bad thing is the the amount of time it takes to assemble the gaurd, and it can also cost alot to build, but when sit back and look at them all set up, you are just like "damn, thats a lot of guys, and they are ready and willing to martyr themselves for me :w00t: "

+ Reply to Thread