Conscript Assault Platoon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conscript Assault Platoon

I have recently begun using a massive conscript platoon as a harassment and distracting tactic in some games and was suprised to find that it actually works pretty well as a lumbering assault unit if you can get it into the right place at the right time. You have to have access to the Abhuman Doctrines from White Dwarf's Chapter Approved for it to work.

Heres how I set it up:
    50 Conscripts at their normal costs
    5 Flamers
    Commissar with Trademark Item
    Abhuman Doctrine: Beasts (Grants Furious Charge and higher weapon skill)
    Close Order Drill
    Independant Commissars

This will give you a 50 man squad that can assault with an initiative of 5 and a strength of 4 with 50 attacks, absorb massive amounts of damage and will have a tremendous chance of passing morale checks due to the commissar. As it stands, thats a leadership 10 that will never have any negatives for being outnumbered because there are so many of them and even if there is a failure he gets to re-roll because of the trademark item. Just keep him in the middle where he can't be shot or attacked and he'll be safe. Throw on the flamers (which do not rely upon the conscripts terrible ballistic skill) and you have a unit that is more that capable of dealing out some serious hurt if put in the right place. I will tell you though, it does not seem hard to do this because opponents seem to focus a lot of firepower on this unit and thus bring the fight to them. I think it is because the sight of a fifty man unit charging across the board can unsettle most commanders and they think they have to address it. This offests the cost of the unit a little bit as it can help keep other units alive longer as it is slowly whittled down one pitiful (and cheap) conscript at a time. At worst, this unit can tie up enemy units for turns on end, if not the rest of the game, and costs well under 300 points.

Upgrades can include a Honorifica Imperialis for one trooper so that you can give him Melta-Bombs. This has worked for me recently as a poor fellow found out as I locked two of his Dreadnoughts in combat for the entire game and destroyed one with a lucky melta-bomb.

Needless to say this a funky and specialized unit that is not for every game play and take it with a grain of salt. It is, however, a serious sucker punch to someone who has never seen it before so have fun tying up a Blood Angels Death Company, Raven Guard, Orks or other assault units for turn after turn.

Last edited by Guaardvark; August 17th, 2006 at 07:27.
    "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaardvark
    I have recently begun using a massive conscript platoon as a harassment and distracting tactic in some games and was suprised to find that it actually works pretty well as a lumbering assault unit if you can get it into the right place at the right time. You have to have access to the Abhuman Doctrines from White Dwarf's Chapter Approved for it to work.

Heres how I set it up:
    50 Conscripts at their normal costs
    5 Flamers
    Commissar with Trademark Item
    Abhuman Doctrine: Beasts (Grants Furious Charge and higher weapon skill)
    Close Order Drill
    Independant Commissars

This will give you a 50 man squad that can assault with an initiative of 5 and a strength of 4 with 50 attacks, absorb massive amounts of damage and will have a tremendous chance of passing morale checks due to the commissar. As it stands, thats a leadership 10 that will never have any negatives for being outnumbered because there are so many of them and even if there is a failure he gets to re-roll because of the trademark item. Just keep him in the middle where he can't be shot or attacked and he'll be safe. Throw on the flamers (which do not rely upon the conscripts terrible ballistic skill) and you have a unit that is more that capable of dealing out some serious hurt if put in the right place. I will tell you though, it does not seem hard to do this because opponents seem to focus a lot of firepower on this unit and thus bring the fight to them. I think it is because the sight of a fifty man unit charging across the board can unsettle most commanders and they think they have to address it. This offests the cost of the unit a little bit as it can help keep other units alive longer as it is slowly whittled down one pitiful (and cheap) conscript at a time. At worst, this unit can tie up enemy units for turns on end, if not the rest of the game, and costs well under 300 points.

Upgrades can include a Honorifica Imperialis for one trooper so that you can give him Melta-Bombs. This has worked for me recently as a poor fellow found out as I locked two of his Dreadnoughts in combat for the entire game and destroyed one with a lucky melta-bomb.

Needless to say this a funky and specialized unit that is not for every game play and take it with a grain of salt. It is, however, a serious sucker punch to someone who has never seen it before so have fun tying up a Blood Angels Death Company, Raven Guard, Orks or other assault units for turn after turn.
    What are you talking about? Conscripts can't take wargear! OMG!
    BURN THE HERETIC!

KILL THE MUTANT!

PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

The light at the end of the tunnel is an incoming freight train.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BiG_SaNCHeZ
    What are you talking about? Conscripts can't take wargear! OMG!
    He was probably talking about the Commissar...maybe?

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove
    He was probably talking about the Commissar...maybe?
    If he was, I doubt the Commisar could have handled two dreadnoughts seeing as with the above setup, the Commisar can be singled out in combat because he's an independent character which required him to be in base to base with the dread to do any damage, meaning the dread could easily pick him up and shake him around.

...and just how many points is this unit?
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually was referring to the Commissar, sorry about the mix up. He does not require the Honorifica to have the melta-bombs but those are just two possible upgrades...among others. While the Commissar can be picked out as an independant character my foolish foe decided to focus on the squad and not the officer, unaware that he could be hurt by either. The Commissar then was insanely fortunate and rolled a 6 to hit with his melta-bombs and took out one of the Dreadnoughts. The other was simply tied up fighting 50 men for the rest of the game and could do no real damage do my army.

The points cost is between about 240-290 or so and may seem a bit high for what you get. As I said, it is not a unit for every game but can be excellent to send out in front of a main force and soak up assault units that are trying to get to you. The difference between this and a normal conscript platoon is that these boys have a little better chance of doing some damage and staying in the fight.
    "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaardvark
    I actually was referring to the Commissar, sorry about the mix up. He does not require the Honorifica to have the melta-bombs but those are just two possible upgrades...among others. While the Commissar can be picked out as an independant character my foolish foe decided to focus on the squad and not the officer, unaware that he could be hurt by either. The Commissar then was insanely fortunate and rolled a 6 to hit with his melta-bombs and took out one of the Dreadnoughts. The other was simply tied up fighting 50 men for the rest of the game and could do no real damage do my army.
    You must have had a pretty stoopid enemy then. Most opponents with enough IQ (ie monkeys and upwards) would work it out. And did he charge you or did you charge him?
    BURN THE HERETIC!

KILL THE MUTANT!

PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

The problem with large units of conscripts is that they're a bit too specialized for my tastes. They're supposed to waltz up the board being a low priority target since they hardly do any damage, but they draw fire anyway because they're so many and will claim an objective or tie one of your units up if you don't do anything about it. Dreadnoughs, greater daemons, wraithlords and other big things get stuck there for ages, but any type of close combat marine, striking scorpions, hormagaunts, orks etc. etc will just chew through them.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about using guant? He is a close combat monster. Also he is cheap and makes the unit realy awesome in combat.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Tactic wise or not, I put the massive conscript squad down as one of the awesomely fun units that everyone should use at least once.

I remember I used a 40 model conscript squad in a combat patrol once, against tau, just for kicks.

They chewed through a kroot charge, and a couple of rapid-fire bursts from the firewarriors, and they just refused to all die. Was fun charging them across no-mans land!

Dont remember how legal it was though, (keeping track of the fact that you need a normal infantry platoon to field one, which i'm not sure I fielded, didn't matter as it was a friendly game, but I think it can be done...Just give them minimum equipment and charge them over as well! I call it the Lord Kitchener manouver, and it is most accurately represented on open terrain with no cover.)

And if you dont wanna charge them in, you should still at least try and get them all in rapid fire range, just to see the look on your oppenents face when you begin to look around for 100 dice to roll. Sure, I think that still only equates to something like 4 meq kills, but its a lot of fun. And sometimes you get one of those good rolls full of 5's and 6's, perfect for wiping out terminator command squads.

And yeah, close combat drill is a killer is when you use these guys. Also, who cares if they all die - it means they enemy has wasted 40 or 50 wounding hits on conscripts, instead of your storm troopers, or vets or whatever else is in your army. Really recommend using these guys! Just dont give them any equipment other than flamers, due to their orky BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie
    Dont remember how legal it was though, (keeping track of the fact that you need a normal infantry platoon to field one, which i'm not sure I fielded, didn't matter as it was a friendly game, but I think it can be done...Just give them minimum equipment and charge them over as well! I call it the Lord Kitchener manouver, and it is most accurately represented on open terrain with no cover.)
    In combat patrol almost anything is legal... if it can be justified as a patrol. And why wouldn't you send a group of conscripts to go looking for the enemy? Tactically it means that your good troops are able to do whatever they were doing, and if they run into something big and get splatted then you haven't lost too much. And the rulebook uses the armoured fist as an example of an exception unit in the same way (taking without normal platoon) so I would think that yes, it is legal.

Back to conscript assault platoon I think that it is an okay idea but I have a low $$ budget with my army, and you have to buy quite a few more infantry squads to get the same points cost - this is too much for my stingy ways (eg I stole the crouching guy off my basilisk for an infantry squad because i waas one man short!).
    BURN THE HERETIC!

KILL THE MUTANT!

PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast