Buying an army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying an army

I was thinking of starting a Imperial Gaurd army, and I was wondering, what is a good armylist for fighting Tau (the tau is mostly firewarriors and battlesuits)?
    I would like to buy about 500-1000 points of units. I like the idea of a massive swarm of infantry (waves after waves of super-cheap soldiers) backed up by one or two heavy tanks for taking out other tanks.
    I was looking at a freinds codex, so I have a slight idea what I want to get.
    4 Platoons of 10 regular infantry
    2 Heavy bolter weapon platforms
    1 Command squad (which has a Colonel, Vox Caster model, Regimental Standard bearer, guy with a meltagun, a Medic and a casualty model.)
    1 Leman Russ
    and mabey 1 sentinel

I dont really like the idea of chimeras, they dont appeal to me, but if I need them, I could probably not get the sentinel and instead a couple chimeras). I would prefer to have my mass of soldiers slowly advance on the enemy, taking wounds as the move forewards. So, if there are any major changes I should make to make this army a bit more anti-Tau, please feel free to tell me. (I really have no idea how the IG work)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Dont use any armour vs tau as railguns are far too good at taking them out,only usa a bassie behind cover. Sentinels are not that useful as firewarriors can fire a lot of S5 shots at it and because its open topped it wont last long.

Best thing to use is as many men as you can get with heavy bolters and lascannons with the odd plsama gun to kill any suits jumping around.
    Chimeras can work but only if you give them smoke so they have a chance of avoiding those railgun hits and put some stormtroops in there with two plsama guns and use these to take out any stealth suits at point blank range so there stealth field wont help them.

Lascannons sould be used to snipe any suits or hammerheads in LOS and to keep that railgun from getting SUB shots at your guard squads.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so LOTS of infantry, equipped with big guns, and dont even bother with vehicles.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester
    Ok, so LOTS of infantry, equipped with big guns, and dont even bother with vehicles.
    A Basilisk, actually, might help you out, especially against Tau. Set it behind cover and use it to hunt those pesky Crisis Suits that JSJ behind cover. :yes:

Imperial Guard tanks are much better at taking out enemy infantry than enemy armour, so keep that in mind. Let your basic Infantrymen hunt the tanks - use your own to hunt the other guy's basic soldiers.

Keep in mind that Hammerhead Railguns are also exceptionally good at killing infantry, themselves, so either way you can't avoid the hurt that Railguns can dish out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester
    4 Platoons of 10 regular infantry
    sorry, but you need 25 guys in a platoon, minimun, but you can still take 2, adn without the tanks you could take more, adn throw in some weapons, like HBs and LCs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thougt all it was was a sergeant and 9 gaurdsman, and you have 2-5 per command squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A platoon troops choice must consist of a command section (officer and 4 guardsmen from the hq section but using a junior officer only) and at least 2 squads of 9 men and a sergeant.

A legal army using 2 platoons thus ends up with 3 officers (1 HQ 2 Troops) and 40 guardsmen.
    ooo ya.... Riff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I should really go out and buy a codex, then plan out an army. That way I actually know what I am talking about... sorry!
    And I have heard from many people to completly avoid Orgyns, sanctioned Psykers, and techpreiests? Is it a good idea to not include any of them in my army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Orgyns = No armour

Psykers = Crap powers and you cant pick the only good one

Techpreiests = A small chance to fix a tank FOR HOW MANY POINTS?
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

to sum it up, yes steer clear of them, stick with the vets, stormies, adn various others

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast