need help from imperial gaurd players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help from imperial gaurd players

i want to make a small imperial gaurd army around 750 points for starters. I want it to be infantry based and it is mostly for painting fun (so i dont want anything in it that i dont want to paint). I think i wanna make it pretty much lots of guys and lots o the cool looking weapon teams. i do not have an ig codex if any one could run me by on how the army works and mabye give me a list of good things to buy to start up. also explain how the troops units work (i do not get how u get 3 sqauds and an hq and 3 suppot guys in a troop choice even tho i have been explained to many times)
    plz help
    thank you=)
    and if anyone has any cool paint schemes mabye loink me sopme pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Guard 101 = Get the codex

What? That dosnt help much?
    Well the guard need two troop choices and one HQ just like any other army but both of these choices can have mutibul squads or units in them.
    A platoon is the troop choice that most players use and is made up of 2 to 5 squads of guardsmen and 1 HQ or command squad.
    Normal guard squads can take one heavy and one special weapon each and this is how we beat armys like marines as our normal weapon the lasgun is very weak and without our heavy weapons we would find it hard to win.
    Allways take heavy and special weapons when you can as that is how the guard win games.
    The plasma gun and heavy bolter work well as both are anti-infantry weapons and the plsama gun is AP2 and so can take out any heavily armoured troops that your men come across.

The guard HQ is made up of a command squad with a officer in it and you have the option of taking other units with the command squad but still only take up one HQ choice.
    You can take up to 2 anti-tank or/and fire support squads with your HQ. These are squads of 6 men with 3 heavy weapons in,they have good firepower and range but with only 6 men it will not take a lot of shooting to kill off this squad. Use there range to keep them safe.
    You can aslo take with your HQ up to 2 mortar squads,1 sentinel squad and up to 2 special weapon support squads.
    Now they may all be the same HQ choice but all the units may act independently so they dont need to stay together.
    You can only take up to 5 units of any kind with your command squad.

Oh and get a leman russ tank as they look super cool and dont do a bad job at blasting apart squads of marines with each shot.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

ya, for COD, i would use at least one russ, and spend teh rest on infantry, and throw in a few plasma guns, some lascannons, adn a heavy bolter

dont get any autocannons or MLs, they are a waste of points and thier job can be done with either of the 2 above

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DONT get imperial guard . there weak and pathetic. Get space marines there good at close combat and long range.
    For example 2 tactical squads, close combat terminater squad, scout squad with sniper rifles, and space marine comander, and assault squad. This list could crush a typical imperial list or tau list if u just used infantry. Imperial may have troops but space marines have power.
    so just give up its futile. Imperial guardsmen cant beat the emprors body guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x4)

We may be weak but we are far from pathetic as we fight in the name of the emperor but without power armour and botlers.
    We get taken from our homes and given only a lasgun and flak armour to fight monstrous tyranids or the horrors of choas and die in our thousands each day so that the imperium can hold out till the next day.

Guardmen are the true heros of the imperium and thats why i picked them over space marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by XSanarsil63
    DONT get imperial guard . there weak and pathetic. Get space marines there good at close combat and long range.
    For example 2 tactical squads, close combat terminater squad, scout squad with sniper rifles, and space marine comander, and assault squad. This list could crush a typical imperial list or tau list if u just used infantry. Imperial may have troops but space marines have power.
    so just give up its futile. Imperial guardsmen cant beat the emprors body guard.
    Riiiiight. Thanks for the input XS. Really constructive stuff. Now, run along and let the grown ups talk now, OK:spell:

Kos-Mos pretty much nailed it on the head and The Count's suggestions are sound. However, I believe that MLs do have a place in CoD.
    Because most units will receive some sort of cover save, a single shot, high strength, low AP weapon, losses effectiveness. So, the number of hits becomes more important, ie blast marker.
    Plus, they have the duel benefit of being able to take out armour.

Oh, and thanks again for the post XS, thats some really funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by Plasma Catcher; August 26th, 2006 at 02:39.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who were the 1s to crush the tyrnaids in the battle of maccragage. Space marines of course. Space marines r trained in every way immaginable. Making them better then space marines. Once space marines get in the guards face there finished.Duh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by XSanarsil63
    Space marines r trained in every way immaginable. Making them better then space marines
    So what your saying is that space marines are better then....space marines?:wacko:

The guard make up over 90% of the imperiums fighting strength and we do most of the dirty work. You just never hear of it but i bet the guard have fought battles that have saved the imperium many times over but were the unsung heroes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm......now that this has gone completely off topic i will put in my word.....
    1. space marines were generally once IG
    2. space marines are the cheapest cheesiest army in the game
    3. tau pwns ALL:yes:

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

XSanarsil63, expect a PM.

The rest of you, try to ignore people going this off topic.

~Thread closed.

Closed Thread