A few questions about the IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

A few questions about the IG

Hey everyone,

I've officially decided that my second 40k army is going to be Imperial Guard and thought I would post up and ask for some feedback and ask a few questions.

First off, and most importantly, I'm in love with the Steel Legion models, but I don't want to play Steel Legion (or Death Korps). Will I get hassled for using SL models in a non-SL force? For the record, I don't plan on painting them in the SL (or DKoK) colors.

Secondly, assuming the answer to the first question is "no", what should I use for the models that aren't supported by the SL minis? For example, what models should I use for storm troopers? Should they all be converted from the SL troops models or should I just use Kasrkins or storm troopers for the storm toopers? Being a space marine player, I haven't really done that much of what I'd call true converting, but I want to spend a lot more time on this army now that I have one finished to play games with, so getting into some conversions, if that's what the cool kids do, wouldn't be out of the question.

Last question (for now anyways) a lot of the special characters in the Guard codex don't say anything about "___fill-in-the-blank____ can be used in a Cadian/ Catachan/ etc. force of at least 1,500 points," just that they "may be used in an Imperial Guard army of at least ___such-and-such___ points (with the exception of Creed and Kell)." Again, as a SM player who created his own chapter using traits, I'm used to NOT being able to field special characters, so is it acceptable for me to use a special character, for example, Ibram Gaunt even though I'm not playing as the Tanith First and Only?

I'm still working out the fluff for my army, but I like the idea of them being relatively old and established since I took Aspire to Glory as my SM drawback and I want my Guard army to play, look, and well, be different than my SM army. The Mount Carmel 33rd are also cityfighters and I plan on tailoring this army to perform well in Cities of Death (to a certain extent, I mean, I don't want them to be unplayable on a normal table) and painting/ basing them to reflect this. With all that in mind, I've chosen the following doctrines to represent my army-

Storm Troopers
    Veterans
    Sharpshooters
    Iron Discipline
    Cameleoline (actually, it's just they're really used to finding cover in cities, but Counts As cameleoline)

I've read the doctrines FAQ on here (as well as the rest of the IG FAQs), so I think they'll be acceptable. What do you all think? Based on the brief amount of fluff I've given above, do you think this is cool?

Any general advice for a new Guard player? Units that are great in CoD, stuff to stay away from, etc.?

Also, I gotta ask, which is it? Two Basilisks and one Russ or two Russes and one Basilisk?

Last edited by DEADMARSH; August 24th, 2006 at 08:29.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I'm at work, so can only check the forum sporadically, hence only have time to answer your first question:

First off, and most importantly, I'm in love with the Steel Legion models, but I don't want to play Steel Legion (or Death Korps). Will I get hassled for using SL models in a non-SL force? For the record, I don't plan on painting them in the SL (or DKoK) colors.
    You can field them as whatever you feel like! Well, in my mind, anyway. For a reference, you should check out the awesome deathkorps of krieg army shown in a recent white dwarf, lots of steel legion models were used in that. I know you say you dont want to play death korps, but i'm just using them as proof that you dont have to stick to whatever it might say on the box they come in.

In the guard codex, there is even a reference to some styles of successful and/or famous uniform/armour regulations being copied and repeated throughout the imperium, which basically provides an excuse for you to use any I.G models and paint them however you want. So long as you stick with WYSIWYG, if you want to play in tournaments etc... I personally dont see any problems.

P.S I can absolutely understand your love for the steel legion models, I think they're really awesome, and i've mentally toyed with a similar idea to yours for quite some time now.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I myself have an army that comprises of entirly steel legion models. Well, except for the storm troopers.
    I have my own fluff for them and despite them looking similar to the steel legion regiment, they are completely seperate (from another planet) and are therefore painted differently.

I use the kasrkin models for my stormtroopers. This is because they wear rebreathers and I figure that if the environment is inhospitable enough for my line troops, then the elites would need the rebreathers too.

You can use the characters as long as you meet the minimum points conditions stated in the codex and any other conditions that are stated.

For city fight, I would suggest 2x Basilisks and a Leman Russ Demolisher.

Oh, and welcome to the Imperial Guard++salut++
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a really stupid question, but here goes anyways.

Who benefits if I give a J.O. in my platoon command squad iron discipline? Squad A, B, and the platoon command squad or just the platoon command squad?

Ditto for sharpshooters and cameleoline. Do I pay the point cost on a per squad basis or a per unit basis? I guess I should clarify that I think a "unit" is the platoon.

For example, if I want both squad A and squad B in Platoon 1 to benefit from sharpshooters, do I pay twice or once?
    We all carry on,
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH
    Who benefits if I give a J.O. in my platoon command squad iron discipline? Squad A, B, and the platoon command squad or just the platoon command squad?
    Anyone within 12" of the officer that's using the Officer's leadership for his leadership tests(Iron Discipline on your officers are some of the best points you can spend)

Ditto for sharpshooters and cameleoline. Do I pay the point cost on a per squad basis or a per unit basis? I guess I should clarify that I think a "unit" is the platoon.
    A unit is one squad and you pay doctrine improvements for each squad separatly.

Keep in mind that cameleoline is a special equipment doctrine, so either don't give it to anyone, or you'll give it to every squad that can have it.

For example, if I want both squad A and squad B in Platoon 1 to benefit from sharpshooters, do I pay twice or once?
    Twice.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

You rule man. Thanks!
    We all carry on,
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,