Questions on List Building and Collecting Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on List Building and Collecting Models

I've just started 40k, I already have the Guard, SM and Core rule book codices, but no models yet.

I'm leaning towards playing either shooty marines or drop troop guard. Would it be better to plan out several army lists at different levels so I can "scale up", or just draw out a 1500 point list and start building my army from that.

Another option would be to buy one of the battle forces, then just use that as my list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Well it depends on who you play against, and if they are willing to help you build a list (i.e. 500 pt games, 1000 pts, 1500 pts). If they are, start with a 500 pts list and play a few times to see if you like the playstyle of the army you've started. After that, go from there.

I find that building your list by 500 pts is a nice round number to work with. I personally might buy a basic army force boxed set and then go from there with individual models (don't glue any of the weapons on the vehicles until you are completely sure of the layout). When I built my 1500 pt tau army, I designed the whole list, and then broke it down to a 1000 pt list, and then further to a 500 pt list. I started playing 500 pt games, and then I realized I didn't like a certain unit, so I got rid of it, and reworked the 1000 pt list and 1500 pt list to accomodate this change.

Hope it helped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Y'he Sha'is has some good points. You'll almost inevitablly find some models you bought that you don't use because you don't like them or even if you do like them they don't fit in with the rest of your army. It took me a long time to figure out how to incorporate my tech marine correctly into my army.

The thing that helped me the most was using blank bases to represent units I was planning on buying. I did have a friend who didn't mind working with me on proxying bases and other models to find out whether I wanted to spend money on a unit. It gets difficult and confusing at times so I didn't do this for tournament games.

As for what size army to start with, I find that my lists change quite a bit between 500 and 1000 pt games. So this is up to you. Once again, I'd recommend playing a few friendly games and proxying some units in.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely proxy first. Personally, I'd say if in the future you plan to play ~1500 point games, 500 might be too low to really get a feel for any list. There's a lot of units simply too expensive or too specialized to field in 500pts, but that are very good in larger games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I would go ahead and buy one of the boxed sets. They aren't GREAT, but they are good, and a very good value, and will have a lot of the basic stuff that you will use...and if you don't use it, you can always find somenoe to trade for some stuff you do use. Then build your list from the stuff in the boxed set, and (as others have suggested) use proxies. Before you spend a bunch more money, find what you like, and what you don't. Certain models will match your style of play, and other won't. Playing games using the basic stuff from the boxed set, and porxies, will give you a great idea of where you want to take your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Or...if your like me you just buy one or 2 of everything for the army and hope it all works out. I got a total of 4000 points of space wolves in less then a few weeks because I bought almost anything I though looked cool and/or was useful (keep in mind I've been playing 40k for 5-ish years now and so I basicly know whats gonna do well and not ) As for DA, Im broke at the moment so that 4000 points will half to wait for x-mas :wacko:

I'm back.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Personally, I find 4-500 pts armies too small.
    In that range, unless you bought the bare minimum plus that "really cool-looking box set", you're not accomodating too much.
    It's so hard to mesh army lists off of such a small existing force, as each unit is pretty much made to stand against everything.

I use 750pts increments, that way, you can make mix & match armies every now and again with the models, as you've gotten enough of them to be able to interchange.
    Maybe advance with an extra 1,000pts once in a while to make more changable bits.
    My army sizes (in order):
    Kill-team
    Combat Patrol 1
    Kill-team 2
    Combat Patrol 2
    Repeat ad nauseum.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have friends with larger armies, split the army in two and battle it out to get a feel for that army. If you don't like it, find another friend with a different army and repeat. It allows to figure the army out without spending any money.

I would advise against building an army from the ground if you haven't played before. Get a feel for the game, then write out a 1000pt list:yes:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

When you do figure your army out and are building vehicles... DO NOT GLUE WEAPONS IN PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use magnets. Things like vindicators, sure you can glue the big gun on there, but on a Dreadnought or a Leman Russ magnets are your best friends In one game you can play the ML/TWLC in another you can play AC/CCW. Or with a Leman Russ in one game 3 Heavy Bolters, in another Lascannons. Magnets are the gamer's greatest ally.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Amen to that. I've saved around $100 already by having convertible armies. I've got a 10 man SM Assault Squad that can go through all possible outfitting. Took $5 more. I also made a fully convertible LR/LRC with removable accessories and my Dreadnought is fully customizable as well, down to the front plate
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

+ Reply to Thread