Help!! Melta gun vs Plasma gun. please advise - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Help!! Melta gun vs Plasma gun. please advise

I will be playing in an 1850 point tournament tomorrow (my first) and need some advice.

I am going to be fielding a drop pod army, that will concentrate on short-range fire and mobility. Either moving to stay out of assult range, or moving to within 12" to rapid fire if that will take out the squad, or they will not be an assult threat. I'm thinking about taking Cleanse and Purify, but even if I don't, I would like to know what you think about taking plasma guns, or melta-guns in these squads. Plasma guns have a longer range, but "get hot' Melta guns are stronger, better for poping vehicles, but are only 12".

What is typically better in a squad like this? the plasma or melta? or take half with one, and half with the other?

Thanks for your help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

Take "cleanse and purify" and "Never Despair" as your traits. This way you can deploy in the 3rd turn and extend the number of turns to 6-7(depending on game length) always choose to go 2nd as well. this way you'll get 4 turns of shooting/combat in a 6 turn game and your opponent will get 3.

As for weapon type, I'd personally take both in a squad meant for anti-elite units along with a vet with a MC plasma pistol and p.fist, and a melta & flamer in units for anti-troop (no big vet sgt needed here).

How many pods will you be taking? and what will you be feilding? these things are very important to army layout.
    :ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering you're drop podding and talking about trying to stay in 12" to rapid fire, I'd go with meltaguns. Plasmas could rapidfire, but that substantially ups your chances of frying your own men. And 24" stantionary range doesn't matter if you're always moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

If you are going for tank busting you will have to get into half range for the meltas to get that extra d6. If you are wanting to pound the snot of of the other person go with plasma. Yes you have a chance to lose one from the get hot rule but it is a kill. I would go with plasma.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Generally if it is shooting you want, Plasmas are better, as you will get twice as many shots in close range, or you get twice as much distance.

2 Meltas are good for an all-purpose Assault squad made up of 10 Marines and a Vet Sgt with Power Fist. Very nice squad indeed!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

i'v always been a fan of the meltagun. its more all purpose, becuase its high str and ability to move and shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO meltaguns are defenatly right up there, sure they got short range but they pack a nice punch.

I use Cleanse and purify myself and the squads i set out are plasma melta for anti tank/elites and melta flamer for anti troop. Works a treat for mobile fire platforms :yes: .

SON'S OF TERRA......... Your defeat, its the emperor's will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you might want to do is make say two squads with melta guns and maybe two squads with plasma guns. If you're drop poding melta guns are a must. Other than termies and dreads, nothing you can drop pod has a really effective ranged anti-tank gun. I've won games on the second turn because my melta guns blasted the main vehicles. Now some armies plasma is better but don't neglect your melta guns because they can be real game winners.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I also do Cleanse and Purify and drop pods. I put 2 meltas in most squads. It is also an assault weapon. I routinely drop down by tanks, step out and POP them with 2 melta shots. If I only take one melta it ALWAYS misses!! Take 2 squads with 2 melta and a squad or two with 2 plasma.

PS I LOVE drop podding!!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

For drop pod armies, ignore the fool who say Plasma is better.
    1st turn of deployment, your Plasma will act as a Meltagun (1 shot at 12"), but weaker and with a chance to kill yourself. Meltagun is logically better too. Because if you're podding, tanks will be in that 1/2 range to get the bonus. While plasma can take out up to AP13, Meltaguns can PENETRATE anything. They instant-kill Marines, and wound Wraithlords easily.

Plasma is bad for mobility too, when moving, it still fires like a weaker Meltagun. Who cares about Rapid Fire when you either:
    1. Have to wait another turn after deepstriking to use it.
    2. Have to move all the time to get a shot.
    Same goes for range.

Ta-daaa!
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast