Rough Riders vs. Enemy Assault Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough Riders vs. Enemy Assault Units

I don't know about anyone else here, but I think that rough riders are one of the most valuable units in a guard army. I run two or three squads of eight rough riders and they absolutely destroy marines, chaos, orks and other tough assault units. They cost barely anything and have the added bonus of attracting a lot of attention from your enemies and this allows other units to do their thing unmolested. Less than one hundred points of rough riders taking out over two hundred points of tactical space marines or honor guard is great. Terminators fall beneath their hooves. Do you guys use them a lot or just from time to time? Does anyone else use two and three units of them like I do? Just curious.

"No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I only use 2 squads max as converting anymore is kinda time consuming (A bunch 12th century hun running around the 41st milleniun is stupid as hell), but in general, I find them to be an amazing asset and adds some much needed punch to IG's HTH capability. They can easily devastate even the most talented HTH opponents. I love the guys
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

I would buy some but the models are just horrible and im not that confident about making some of my own.

I like the idea of having a squad sitting behind cover and just when the enemy get naer your fireing line out come the rough riders and kill them all in one round or tie them up for a turn or two.

You could give them carapace armour and xeno mounts for a 3+ armour save:ninja:
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do ypu get the info on xenomounts and the bonus for the save? All i see in the codex would be the carapace armor, which makes the save 4+ max.
    MvG, vindicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo, nice find and that's a great tip. I didn't even think of looking there. Thanks again.
    If terrorists ask you "Do you have a bullet through your head?" say proudly, with dignity, "No, I do not. Go fish."

Catalysts of Iron/Iron Warriors 0/0/0

Soldiers of the Forge Worlds Clan Founder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I think Rough Riders are cool as heck, but due to the hassles of converting them, I have only ever proxied.
    And in the 41st Millenium I think that there is still a place for horses on the battle field. These days, the horse is made redundent by the fact that we prefer to kill our enemies with projectile weapons... much like the IG of the future.
    However, when half of the armies in the future are quite happy to leave the safety of cover and charge headlong at the enemy, instead of just trading rounds, it changes the equation a little bit.
    A cavalry charge is something really quite spectacular, and you can just hear the cheers of the average grunt as he watches the mounted division leap over their trenches towards a green tide of an Ork advance.
    The thunder of the hooves alone should be enough to make the size conscious Orks question the logic of their own charge( did I just say 'Ork' and 'logic' in the same sentence?).
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I have just discovered the joy of rough riders and am busy converting myself some out of glade riders. I know a lot of work next time i'll go for the empire knights even with their crappy horses. although the green stuff does look good. Ive gone for a Napoleonic look as thats the army they are going with and they fit so well fluff wise.
    One question i will ask is about their equipment. if i take the lanc and pistol do i get the extra attack for the extra ccw (pistol)? im pretty sure i do but just wanted to check with a rough rider vet.

Have you ever thought of the possibilities if you dont give them lances?
    hidden melta squad for antitank!! for only a few points charge a 5 men rough rider squad in to take out tanks. noone will bother killing them if they dont have lances and they could be good for annoyance if they only cost 60 points a squad!

A

PS: Ive already posted a rough rider 400 point list up!

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I haven't had the chance to use any Rough Riders as of yet, but I can see their uses.

However, because of the horrible models and the cost of converting my own, adding Rough Riders to my army are a low priority. I'd want atleast a full squad of ten, which means atleast one or two boxes of fantasy cavalry along with some greenstuff, a box of cadian shock troops and who knows how many more random bits I'd like to add to that pile.
    Also considering that my greenstuffing skills aren't that great, I'll postpone the idea of a unit of Rough Riders for now atleast, I'd prefer to finish the models I've already got before I go out and buy anymore.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me rough riders are a priority, I've lost a couple of games becasue of assaults and I don't want to see that happening again :ninja:

However I don't really see the point of them being used for shooting... Despite the fact they can field an extra special weapon, at 8 points a model its more expenisve than an average guardsmen. I'll reather leave the tank-hunting to my hardened vets, who not only can move faster in a chimera, but can field 3 meltas at the most. Did I mention H. Veterans cost 8 points too? :shifty:

Not too sure abt the laspistol thing though. My guess is yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast