Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Can anyone provide some advice and tips on beating a Death Guard army with Space Marines? What to take in the army list, say 1500-2000pts, and what tactics to use? Thanks!
well it dpeneds a lot on your style and your opponents, but I guess I can give you some general pointers.
If he plays a pure (?) Deathguard army, then pretty much all of his models will be at least T5. so don;t expect too much performance out of your S4 weapons. If he has mostly Marines, then that T5 is combined with a Power Armor. So he gets good saves also.
DEpending on his style his HQ could be anything from a relatively cheap Lieutenant to a fully kitted out Lord with retinue (possible Kult Terminators) or a Demon Prince or even a greater Demon (even though I haven;t seen one of those in ages).
His special rules say he cannot take heavy weapons, only special weapons with basic models. He can use normal wepaon options on the vehicles.
In addition to this his all of his models are fearless.
My suggestion is to try to shoot at him as much as possible. You have the advantage of range. So use as many high strength and high AP weapons as possible. Plasma Guns and Cannons (Devastatorsquad with 4 PCs) work very well, as does the Vindicator. Landspeeders work quite well.
Try not to get tied up in HTH. They won;t run away and their high T makes it hard for you to get mch done. In addition Chaos excels in HTH (especially with the manreaper,t hat you are boiund to find on some models). Your characters might get instant killed by his Plague swords.
And just in case, you might want to invest in some CC terminators with Lightning claws as a shiled in front of your troops. You said you plan on a 2000 points army, so you should have the points.
Shut up and play.
Plasma and Powerfists.
Both ignore his increased toughness and kill him just as easily as a normal CSM, Vindicators can do the job and Dreadnoughts do ok.
Which particular units/tactics cause you problems?
I would think with all of the T5 marines with 3+ saves floating around you'd want a fair share of Missile Launchers. Perhaps a Devastator Squad with 4x of them, or just put them in some smaller Tactical squads with a plasma gun.
They won't be able to do that much to his HQ or Elite termies, but they aren't supposed to. Take other weapons for that. You can be sure that most Death Guard armies will have around 14-21 Plague Marines. Missile Launchers are great for them.
Also, the Death Guard are pretty mobile. They usually infiltrate and don't hold back due to heavy weapons. To counteract this mobility you might want to consider some Grey Knights or Terminators. You can even have the Termies take Cyclone MLs which they can move and fire. Try to keep them out of range of his plasma guns or meltaguns and you're golden. The GKs can pack a LOT of shots and have high strength when charging to counteract his high toughness. Also, if you pack them with a special weapon like the psycannon you can really tear into any Plaguebearers he might summon.
Hope that helps a bit
At 1500pts my opponent's list is generally like this:
- Statured lord with terminator armour, manreaper, flight, maybe strength as well
- 1 squad of 14 plague marines, 3 squads of 7 plague marines each
- 2 squads of at least 7 nurglings each
- Predator with AC, las sponsons, all the chaos trimmings
- Another Pred as above or Dreadnought with twin las
Sometimes he infiltrates the marines, sometimes not. His nurglings tie me up in combat for at least a couple turns while the rest of his army walks up to me. If his lord reaches me I can usually say bye to that squad. I try to shoot as much as I can, but they are indeed tough to crack! Last game his lord soaked up fire from 2 tac squads with plasma guns, a dev squad firing 2 missile launchers, a dread with AC and 2 LSTs before dying. At this point I have no clue how to counter nurglings let alone still be able to beat back his marines and lord.
- For the Lord, I'd just try to instant kill him with a lascannon or power fist. Deal with him quickly, because he can hurt you BAD with a Manreaper.Originally Posted by ebiniser
- That's a lot of Marines... hm. Sounds like you need to use a lot of plasma to thin out his numbers a bit. If possible, try to hit one of his squads with several of yours at a time so that you can bring enough numbers and shots/Attacks to bear to bring them down in a single turn. I'll have to suggest Battle Sister allies, as even one volley of bolters and flamers with Divine Guidance can put some serious hurtin' on such small (in the case of the 7 man squads) units. Just make sure that you're ready to be charged afterward. Be prepared. Give your Veteran Superior an Eviscerator or something so you can continue to pound him even in the assault phase.
- Land Speeder Tornados work wonders on Nurgling Swarms. Their assault cannons and heavy bolters are the perfect weapons to thin out the Swarms, as are power fists. Any strength 6 or better weapon should be helpful, as you can instant kill his swarm bases with a single shot (provided he fails his invulnerable save).
- The Predator(s) and Dreadnoughts can be brought down easily enough with concentrated firepower, but were I you, I'd ignore them altogther. They're quite likely armed with anti-tank weapons, so the best thing to do is to just not give him any tanks to shoot at. The only vehicles you should be taking are Land Speeders and Rhinos (don't shoot me. I like to use one or two ((depending on points)) as mobile walls).
Nurglings are T3, if I remember correctly. so everything at S6 or above is an instant kill weapon. They are swarms, which makes them take two wounds from template weapons. So flamers and assault cannons work quite nicely, as do Plasmaguns (and Powerfists).Originally Posted by ebiniser
as for the restoupsi. nasty combo. shoot him with Lascannons and Plasmacannons. Assault Terminators should work quite well. DO not forget that he cannot claim the extra Manreaper attacks if he is fighting one of your independent character models.Originally Posted by ebiniserplasma, and lots of it.Originally Posted by ebiniserLascannons. and lots of them.Originally Posted by ebiniser
So there you have it. Gor for two devastator squads. one with Lascannons, one with Plasmacannons.
Have Plasmaguns in you 2 Tactical squads as well. That way they negate the T5 of the regular models and also take care of Nurglings.
If you have the points go for a Vindicator also, as the game will be fought at close quarters anyway, the lack of range won't hurt you. maybe you can even take a shot at his Lord.
Close Combat Terminators might work, you might even be able to have them attack his Lord. Especially if you put a Chaplain in there,
Shut up and play.
Against Death Guard, I suggest Plas cannons.
They'll instant-kill Nurglings, hit with the blast radius (to hit more), and wound even those T5 bastards on a 2+. They'll be able to glance the Pred front and Penetrate the Dread. Penetrating both if you have Tank Hunters.
Have one in every squad you can and fire away. Watch him melt away.
And before the usual 'uuur, overheat' argument comes up (as it is prone tp doing with ICs and Cannons), the wound from overheating will only come 5.5% of the time. That's one in twenty. You can live with it, can't you?
Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
Thanks for the tips guys! Better overall tactics and dice rolls on my part would help, too :yes:
Try and make use of Plasma cannons as much as possible, the high strength and low ap, as well as splash damage jjust hurts deathgaurd to the bone. Other than that, general shoot and evade tactics will help and try to take a few assault cannons (gotta love the rending )