True Grit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True Grit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True Grit

Is true grit really worth the points you pay for it as a trait and what are the benefits. If I understand it right your marine will always have two attacks "charge or being charged" so is it worth 3 pionts per model

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it. You can make some of the coolest looking models with true grit. Also its great for a static marine army like my small ork hunter marines. Youll get the attack even if they reach you lines and charge youll get your extra attack and for the most part more orks die to extra attacks then SM do. Pluss countercharge the other ability you can take is sick.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

That really depends on who you ask, and what type of army you are trying to field.

Personally, I don't think True Grit is worth it. Cause for every 5 guys that have it, you could have an extra marine. And while the ability to have an extra CC attack is nice, you still can't charge after firing your bolter.

The only way that I personaly would find True Grit to be usefull, is in a short range shooty army, like maybe a Drop Pod army, where you don't want to be in CC. The true grit might dissuade your oppenent from charging you with units that are not designed for CC, and would give you a small boost if he charges you with units that are.

But the bottom line is....bolters are still a rapid-fire weapon. Which IMO makes True Grit a waste of points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Remember, you also get counter-attack, although it can be as much of a curse as a blessing sometimes.

It does make the squad much more capable in CC. My eldar opponent is very fond of unleashing shuiken death with guardian defenders, and then charging. This normally would be quite a problem for a marine squad (30ish shuriken shots after casulties, then 15ish guardians charging), but with TG/CA I can generally out-fight them, and live to see another day.

Overall, I would say no, it probably isn't worth it's points. If you are going purely for competitiveness, it isn't worth taking. While you can do some interesting things with it (add to a shooty army for instant counter-charge squads; give to an assault squad for a mobile, unexpected close-range support squad etc), it doesn't really justify itself.

It is, however, a very cool trait to use for fluff purposes. Want an army filled with crack, hard-as-nails marines, able to dish it out in cc in the same way they can in the fluff? Representing veteran members of a depleted chapter? etc.

As Sinjin says, it is also useful for squads in drop-pods (which is where I use it on my marines), because it means that the shooty squad in the middle of the enemy army is not also a squad that is weak in cc.
    However, for the cost of giving it to a ten man squad, you could have got a vet. sgt + power fist for them, which is probably enough, depending on who you are playing.

The best way to use it in a competative list would be to make a shooting list, and put it on a large tactical squad with vet sgt+power fist, a heavy bolter (cheap, but effective at medium range) and probably a plasma gun. This unit then becomes the counter-charge unit, designed to block up wholes in the line, or jump on any enemy who reach your lines.
    Put them in the center of your army, and bob is your uncle.

However, as I said, I don't really see it as a competative trait, and there are definately better ways to spend your points in a tournie list.

-t.

edit: spelling.
    Last edited by minus_t; August 31st, 2006 at 17:16.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment I've got 2 traits: see but don't be seen and I keep on forgetting...sorry I'm new to space marines the one where all tac squads can replace there heavy for another assault weapon like Plasmagun or flamer. I think this combo works well I have only played two games so far with this combo. The actual reason why I chose its because my army specialize on jungle warfare. So true grit looks to be a waste of points. What trait is the best then or is there no one which can be singled out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment I've got 2 traits: see but don't be seen and I keep on forgetting...sorry I'm new to space marines the one where all tac squads can replace there heavy for another assault weapon like Plasmagun or flamer. I think this combo works well I have only played two games so far with this combo. The actual reason why I chose its because my army specialize on jungle warfare. So true grit looks to be a waste of points. What trait is the best then or is there no one which can be singled out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

if there was 1 'best' traight, I think most people would agree that it is Cleanse and Purify. It is certanily one of the more usefull, and most used. And see but don't be seen is the one that lets you infiltrate right? good combo.

I don't have the codex here in from of me, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a better complemenery trait to Seen, then C&P. Maybe the one that lets you take tank hunters if you find yourself against a lot of armor, or Take the Fight to Them if you you are infiltrating as close as possable, and running into CC.

But if you are shooting, I would say you have a pretty good combo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well al models have bolters and are armed with plasmaguns, plasma pistols and meltaguns so the aim is not to charge but rappid fire any thing that moves. If it is going to work only time will tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well al models have bolters and are armed with plasmaguns, plasma pistols and meltaguns so the aim is not to charge but rappid fire any thing that moves. If it is going to work only time will tell

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Hey man, press "submit post" one time only. Then be patient, this is a big database after all...

As a user, I advocate the True Grit trait.
    Sit there and justify running up to the enemy and rapid-firing and Meltagunning like crazy, then when the enemy charges me I charge instead, gaining terrain and powerfisting with the Sarge (he looks awesome).

Possibly the most useful trait there is apart from the 2 heat guns or 6 dreads traits...
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast