1000 pts 180th Cadian 'Stalking Tigers' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pts 180th Cadian 'Stalking Tigers'

1000 pts 180th Cadian 'Stalking Tigers'

---HQ---

-Junior Officer w. Honorifica Imperialis, Power Weapon, Iron Discipline
    Squad - Plasma gun, vet.medic, vet.standard bearer, Die-Hards, Vox which is a
    Master-Vox = 109pts

-Mortar Support Squad = 80pts

-Anti-Tank Support Squad, 3 Missile Launchers, Die-hards,
    Sharp-Shooters = 110pts

---Elites---

-10 Hardened Veterans, 3 plasma guns, die-hards, Vox = 125pts

---TROOPS---

Platoon 1

-Command - Jnr. Officer, Vox, Vet. Medic and Plasma gun, Die-hards,
    Iron Discipline = 76pts

-Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma gun, sharpshooters,
    Die-hards, Vox = 100pts

-Squad 2 - Heavy Bolter, Plasma gun, sharpshooters,
    Die-hards, Vox = 100pts

-Remnants Squad - 6 Guardsmen, Plasma gun and Vox, die-hards = 56pts

Platoon 2

-Command - Jnr. Officer, Vox, Vet. Medic and Plasma gun, Die-hards,
    Iron Discipline = 76pts

- Squad 1 - Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher, sharpshooters,
    Die-hards, Vox = 103pts

- Squad 1 - Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher, sharpshooters,
    Die-hards, Vox = 103pts

This list is 1013 pts at the moment, so if anyone could find a way to free up any points,
    i really wanted a commisar to go in the command squad, i've done guard before and it
    doesn't feel right without it. This is a fairly standard imperial guard firing line,
    and utilises the cadian doctrines, although not all of them.
    Any help/comments would be great, so if this list does something terribly wrong,
    just say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Claymore equipped guard? Dont be absurd. They are getting frag grenades and six feet of string instead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly this should probabaly be in the "imperial guard amy list" forum

A mod will probabaly move it sooner or later.

Secontly i typicly like to see atleast a little bit of armour in a 1K list, some people would say not to go too be as they become a fire magnet. But i like a leman russ in 1K.

However your name being "stalking tigers" i could understand if you didnt include tanks because of fluff (or other personal reasons)

I also dont like morters, they can be fun i suppose but not overly effective.

Im not sure that your vox network is 100% needed as youll be deploying most of your troops withen 12" of a junior officer, and probably withen 12" of your commander.

Ditching the vox network could easily make you up aprox 60ish points, droping the morters would get you another 80, this goes along way to a leman russ, or basilisk, or the commisar you mentioned.

I would also probably drop the medics to make up points, unless you wanted them in there for fluff or realizm
    -Where Were You The Day They Stole Your Inocence?

-It Was About Time To Dig A New Well Anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be in the army list section, boyyo! xD

As for the list, you may want to check your math. Your Command Squad should cost 137 pts, not 109. So you're actually 41 points over. Let's see how we can rectify that.

As for freeing up some points... Drop the Voxes. You barely have more than 2 squads per officer and two of those are only 6 men strong. Unless you're going to be moving them about, just leave them in formation and keep them under the leadership bubbles. If we drop all the voxes, including the master vox, that frees up 65 points (almost a whole squad) and clears your deficit down to 24 points to play with.

I'd either drop the remenants squad or find the points to bring it to full strength. It's kind of useless as anything other than a throw away squad. If we drop it, we have 80 points. Points enough to buy two Commis if you wanted? But wait, let's see what other fat we can slice away.

You have sharpshooters on all four of your line squads. Now, this is a great doctrine, but the points you spend on those sharpshooterrs would, statistically and tactically, be better spent on more men and guns. Sharpshooters is wasted when most of your guns are Lasguns, since more hits doesn't neccessarily mean more wounds. More shots or more accurate shots? I'll go with the more shots, since that comes with 10 extra men. On heavy weapons squads, sure, sharpshooters is both useful and fluffy as each hit is pretty likely to be useful. If we free up the sharpshooters, we can get back 40 points, which gives us 120 to work with now.

Die-hards isn't a great choice, in my opinion. When Guard get into closecombat, they're going to die, unless you're fighitng Tau, Grots or other Guard. The problem with Die-Hards is it only is effective in Close Combat. Now, granted, we suck in close combat and giving a boost is useful and Die-Hards isn't that expensive, but when distributed across the whole board, we're using up 50 points. Now, we already have a HIJO, a standard and potentially a Commi. That's LD 10 with Rerolls, ignoring the modifiers for being under half-strength. To me, that's plenty of Leadership potential. If we take those in with your other points, we get 170 points to play with.

Having cut away the fat, let's examine what remains and see if we can shave anything else off. Going from the top to bottom the things I'd consider dropping are: The Medics and The Mortar Squad. Let's start with the medics. Now Medics can be useful, in specialized squads. Basically anything with 2-3 plasma weapons and a medic is useful. However, all your medics are in squads where there is only 1 plasma weapon. At range, that's a 1/6 *2/3 = 1/9 chance of your medic being useful. In Rapid Fire, that's 1/3 * 2/3 = 2/9 a chance. Hrrm, for 11 points and only being useful 1/9-2/9 of the time, that seems kind of wasteful. My suggestion would be either drop the medics, or add enugh plasma to make it worth the while. Second, is the Mortar Squad. Now, the Mortar can be useful, but for the the same points, you could have 3 heavy bolters. Let's compare. 3 Mortars, 3 shots, 3 blast templates. Don't need LOS. Sounds okay. However, 2/3 of the time you'll be scattering and if you roll more than a 1 on the scatter, you WILL miss your intended target and if it's better than 4, so will every other blast template. Remember, that the first blast determines where the rest of them scatter from. You're much more likely to be unlucky and scatter into nowhere than you are to be completely ineffectual with the heavy bolters. Heavy Bolters on the other hand, get 9(!) shots, which will give you 4-5 hits. Heavy bolter has the edge on Str. and AP as well, so I'd go with the heavy bolters.

So, let's assume you've followed all my suggestions thus far and decided to drop the Medics. With this, we've freed up 203 points. That's more than 1/5 of your allowance on upgrades and units that are probably not going to be very effective. So you have 203 points and all your core choices are still covered. With the remainder you could get your Commisar and a Russ with Heavy Bolter Sponsons and Hull. Or your Commissar and roughly two extra line squads. Personally, if I wanted a Commissar, I'd get the Commissar, get a Basilisk with Indirect fire and give the Vet squad a Lascannon. If after all that, I had a few points, I'd try to upgrade those missile launchers to Lascannons.

Alot of this is personal opinion, however, I feel you've made alot of choices that while possibly fluffy, were wasteful. Remember the Guardsman golden rule, "When in doubt, throw more men at it." ALA Dawn of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

i thought that it was good to say "more boys less toys"

and ya, this belongs in the army list section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, thanks for the advice , i probably wasn't thinking when posting this on here.
    The reason that i've gone for no tanks is not so much the naem 'stalking tigers', or any personal preferences, but beceause i've sen so many an imperial guard player og down the lines of 2 leman russ and two squads of grenadier stormstoopers, hence the exclusion of any save above 5+. WIth this army i was hoping to play Guard the way that they should be played. In hoardes. Every one i normally play is marines, apart from one guy hwo has a tau armoured detatchment, who i will suck against.

I will post an updated version in the army list section some time.
    Last edited by Equilibrator; September 2nd, 2006 at 09:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Claymore equipped guard? Dont be absurd. They are getting frag grenades and six feet of string instead.

+ Reply to Thread