Is it sportsman like to drop doctrines? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Is it sportsman like to drop doctrines?

Here's a question for you guys...

I've got my doctrines all picked out that works with the fluff of my IG force, but I'm having a hard time coming up with what I think will be a competitive list having to operate around my doctrine selections.

Is it at all sportsmanlike to take doctrines for the same army in higher point games but not the lower point ones?

I realize there's nothing in the rules keeping me from doing it, I just don't want to be unsportsmanlike.

I know I roll my eyes at the dude who plays space marine traits and shows up with a different pair of traits every week, I don't want to become that, y'know?

So, to be specific, would it be lame if I didn't take cameleoline in small games, but then added it in bigger games?

We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Not unsportsmanlike at all really, but what is isn't good for small games, usually isn't good for big games either.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Why would cameleoline be power gameing? You need to give it to each squad in your army so your looking at around 100 points for a 1000 point army and not all of your squads will be in a position to get into cover.

Drop troops works well for vets but if you give it to a lot of your squads then a large part of your men will not be in your gunline and it may take up to 2 turns for them to show up and thats a long time to go with out 4 or more squads.
    Its not really possible to make a cheese guard army like you can with armys like marines as were only human.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

It probably matters to whoever you are playing really. If your opponent does not mind then sure go ahead but if your opponent does care then respect his wishes and do not drop or add a doctrine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

How is it unsportsman? It is part of the imperial way, its like saying that its wrong that a witchhunter uses faith points or a tyranid uses mutations. It costs to use it, and half of the time they maynot make be worth their points.

As for changing.. you would be a fool if you didnt change it. Change it per army per size per enemy etc... unless you were playing a tournament then you keep it the same the whole way through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

This is all I have to say
    Learn to adapt or learn to be a humble loser. I mean you would change your set up based on your enemies set up. You would change the direction your troops move to counter enemies attempted to flank you wouldn’t you? If you dont use or use your Doctrines depending on the treat you’re only being a smart commander using the same tactics over and over won’t get you any were. Besides some Doctrines are more useful in higher point games.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Cool. Thanks for the feedback guys!
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

See one thing I would not want to see my opponent do if he was playing with IG and I was playing with some Xenos race like Orks(like I would ever play with an army of idiots) is him changing a doctrine like xeno-fighters (I do not have codex in front of me) where he would gain the upper hand over me just because I have an ork army and then see him change it again if I play him with a 'nid army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO warhammer40k's reason for being so successfull is the variety of how to equipp troops and adapt them to your opponent's strategy and tactic. So if you are given the possibility to change your list to get a better chance of winning there should be no question about it. This is how the game works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

116 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by LordVelhelmVonMarrius
    See one thing I would not want to see my opponent do if he was playing with IG and I was playing with some Xenos race like Orks(like I would ever play with an army of idiots) is him changing a doctrine like xeno-fighters (I do not have codex in front of me) where he would gain the upper hand over me just because I have an ork army and then see him change it again if I play him with a 'nid army.
    Thinking ahead for once GW has that one covered, as I recall Xeno Hunters has the distinction of being the only doctrine you can't switch around whenever.

Back to the real topic however, if someone gives you trouble just change the name of the army, Gods know I've played 'Green Ultramrines with White Terminators' quite a few times.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast