Starting The Ig - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting The Ig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the cadians come out I'm going to get them, however I'm pretty tight on my budget. Anyone got any suggestions for good core units?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your on a budget, don't collect imperial guard. even when the new cadians come out. budget people should go to space marines, or belive it or not, tyranids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you want to collect them collect them. For core units well, infantry platoons with lascannons and armoured fist squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get caught up in all the tanks, that will come, get soild Infantry Platoons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help. Im looking to start and Cadian army when the plastics are released. What advice can you provide in terms of squads and armour, being relatively new to the game. My brother has a 1500 pt slaanash army so what would be best to fight that?

Thanks

Cadian wannabe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know....my current plan for the Cadian Tactics is kinda just overwhelming the enemy with them....they can get real annoying in the battle when the opponent's gotta kill all of them to get to the better units!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't really seen the cadian list yet but i am getting it today; however, with the standard IG army i find that numbers are useful although with the new assault rules (that once a unit is wiped out all units within 6 in must pass a leadership test) I have begun to shift towards using more elites especially ogryns check out my 1850 pt list. I don't normally take heavy weapons in the normal infantry squads because in order to fire you can't move. And one last note they are redoing the IG codex so don't buy so much all at once get maybe 4-5 cadian troop boxes and paint until Sept when the new codex comes out. As for the tanks they all have their uses but for SM i would use a demolisher and or a vanquisher (to take out those nice land raiders)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i might just do that....yeah...but i think that GW should just give some details about whats going to be in it. Cause if i start a Cadian Army i have to buy the IG Codex and the EoT Codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against slaanesh, which Im assuming will comprise mostly of marines, daemons and the occasional vehicle and/or big daemon, then your bestest friends in an IG/Cadian army will be the grenade launcher, the plasmagun and the flamer. IG stength lies in their easy access to huge amounts of cheap heavy weaponry and in the tactical flexability of their squads. I havent read the new cadian rules yet but I imagine theyre not a far detraction from the current IG list. I would suggest that you capitalise on your numbers (slaaneshi armies will have far less troops) and go for a 2 line defensive army. The first line should be IG squads armed with flamers and a heavy bolter or autocannon in every second squad. at each end of this line place a sentinel armed with a lascannon or multilaser (these can be used to take out vehicles by manuevering to have a LOS to the rear armour, tho lascannons dont really need to worry about the armour). This first battle lines job is to move forward in the first turn and then to kill as many of the enemy as possible... and then most probably to die. For this reason do not equip them with heavy weapons such as lascannons or missile launchers as these are expensive and will be wasted. The second line is the heavy firebase line. All the squads here should have heavy weapons (remember that you can shoot through your own troops but the enemy cannot shoot through them, so this keeps your expensive and dangerous heavy weapons safe&#33 Your command squad containing your commander and a commissar should be equipped with power fists and close combat weapons and plasma guns. These are a unit breaking hardcore assault unit. They will make a big hole in anything... dont believe the Imperial Guard naysayers! Keep them near the back of the army, possibly with a chimera equipped with two heavy flamers, altho keep them out of the chimera until the turn before you wish to assault with them as their leadership will be needed. When you figure that its time to assualt with them, load them into the chimera the turn before you wish to assault - then the following turn gun them towards the enemy, jump out, spray with plasma spitty death, then assault with your commissar and commander (and the vet sergeant if you took one). You should be able to take out just about anything with this, but dont spring the trap too early as this will leave the unit marooned and then shot up in the next turn by your enemy.
    In this second line should be all your tanks. Leman Russ' are fantastic, but Id suggest not bothering equipping them with sponson weapons as it wastes points and you should be using the battlecannons whenever you can! Extra Armour is a good upgrade to take. Hellhounds are a good tank against most armies except I believe that their automatic fallback rule would be useless against Slaanesh armies... not sure on that one - its always a good idea to read a copy of your enemies codex! Basilisks with the indirect fire option are brilliant - noone can hide! Id like to take 2 of them if I have the points spare. Also dont forget the leman russ exterminator, as this tank is fantastic at bolstering a line with anit-infantry support and is cheaper than a leman russ in points. if you can stretch the points go for a chimera (again with 2x heavy flamers) FULL OF OGRYNS! Equip them with 2 hand close combat weapons and charge them in at the same time as your command squad. The platoon command squads should be equipped with heavy weapons and should hang around and try to make sure that noone runs away... the aim of the 2 line defence tactic is to stall your enemy with the first line and make sure that the enemy never even reaches the second line. Remember to use all your guns every turn if you can and if the enemy gets within assault range of your second line.... dont charge the enemy! Shoot them, cos thats where IG strength lies, and 100 or so rapid-firing lasguns and 20 or so special and heavy weapons will tear huge holes in any enemy force. Remember to use lascannons on tanks and terminators, plasmaguns on power armour and terminators, multi lasers on daemons and light vehicles (if any are to be found in a slaaneshi force), heavy bolters on power armour, autocannons on tough enemy troops and flamers on anyone who gets close enough to fry. Missile launchers and grenade launchers are great cos they have an anti-infantry and an anti-tank capability, so keep them sfe at the back and use them against the greatest threat at any time.
    Practice makes perfect and you will develop your own tactics with time.
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Maireann croÃ* éadrom i bhfad - A light heart lives longest

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast