Im noob just want feedback on this method for killing tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im noob just want feedback on this method for killing tau

Im not sure if this is good or bad because Im a noob I would like some feedback on this post.
    For killing some TAU when playing as SM would it be a good I idea to deepstrike 2 terminator squads (one with 2 missle launchers and one with 2 assult cannons) and 2 squads of marines with meltguns and plasma guns behind a TAU force? I would use infiltrators with a teleport homer to home the terminators deep strike. I would use one terminator squad to get rid of a hammerhead and one to kill some suits. Should I deepstrike something else or take something out? I would also appreciate other statergies for taking on the TAU.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by The (real) Guy View Post
    Im not sure if this is good or bad because Im a noob I would like some feedback on this post.
    For killing some TAU when playing as SM would it be a good I idea to deepstrike 2 terminator squads (one with 2 missle launchers and one with 2 assult cannons) and 2 squads of marines with meltguns and plasma guns behind a TAU force? I would use infiltrators with a teleport homer to home the terminators deep strike. I would use one terminator squad to get rid of a hammerhead and one to kill some suits. Should I deepstrike something else or take something out? I would also appreciate other statergies for taking on the TAU.

Why do you capatalize Tau? *shrugs*

Deep Strike is a decent way to get in amongst the Tau, but you better make sure that you can take away their mobility on the turn you land or the one after, or they'll just fly away, totally avoiding your Deep Striking troops. Deep Striking Assault Marines might be helpful as well, since they won't have to spend quite as long being shot at jumping up the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem for most players is two fold, getting close to the Tau and then getting them to stop firing at you with their superior weapons platforms.

The first problem is getting close, Deep strike works, however they can easily move out of range, so you have to overwhelm them with fire. This strategy would work even better if you can have two devestator squads to help you eliminate whatever you are focusing on with your DS terminators and marines.

To take out firepower the key is overwhelming his tanks with your guns to the point where on turn one and two all of his tanks are gone. YOu can't achieve this without lots of guns, or without someone with a melta gun/bomb nearby a tank. (My idea would be DS your marines next to a tank and melta gun the hell out of it). Then the next move is to deal with crisis suits and broadsides. if you have lots of tank platforms I would suggest taking out the broadsides first, if you don't then ignore the broadsides (they are worthless against single models because they can't submunitions blast their rail guns absent a tank). Focus on the crisis suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for capitalizing Tau. So do I need more than a terminator squad with 2 missle launchers(with tank hunters ability) to take out the tanks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll need more heavy firepower than that if you want to win. Otherwise the Tau will simply mop you up with better firepower. The key is taking out tanks with your own melta, lascannon, and rocket weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

A pair of Tank Hunter Cyclone ML will most likely not kill a Hammerhead in one volley. 2 Shots gives you 1.33' hits, glancing on the side armour on a 3+ gives you 0.88 glances.

1/3 of the time that glance will only impede the Hammerheads movement/shooting, taking the gun off is as good as killing it but destroying/immobilizing it is hard.

A couple of Melta's wouldn't go amiss. Deep Striking is no way to get into hth with Crisis suits. They can move 12" away on the turn after you deep strike, this will automaticaly put you out of charge range. Melta/Plasma weapons on the turn of arrival will be excellant.

A Terminator Squad with Tank Hunter and two Assault Cannon is flexible, you can rip through Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits and with 8 shots glancing on a 5+ on Hammerhead side armour you're doing 1.7 glances per turn on average on the big tank compared to the 0.88 of the Cyc ML.

Assault Cannon on balance may simply be preferable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault cannons, on balance, are not the best weapon for tau tanks. Its when they get that 6 to penetrate that they suddenly skyrocket into amazing damage penetration. Likely you will get 6 out of 8 shots to hit with the ass cannon, so you should at least get one six if you roll for penetration with the assault cannon. Then you are getting penetration results. Unfortunately smart tau players also always move their tanks, thus making them always glancing, removing the favor of an assault cannon. Additionally they can re-roll imobilized results once per shot. However, the assault cannon will be great against crisis suits for two turns (when the suits will probably be out of range at this point).

Silverwing is right, DSing near a crisis suit is poor deployment, mainly because the crisis suit will move out of assault range and then mop you up with fire. You should only use this tactic against tanks, even then the returns are diminished because most likely the tank will have moved, giving you only glancing hits.

A great key for Tau is to target their poor leadership. A librarian goes MILES against a Tau player. Fear of Darkness makes their leadership -2, putting them at 8 or 7 and then 5 in some instances. Fury of hte ancients is great for pinning tau firing lines too. Whirlwinds also work wonders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I play tau I try to alway keep one squad tied up. I will usualy put a tele homer on a chaplin with a 6 man assault squad. He gets into combat and brings in the terminators. I hope that when I do this I can block firing arcs with the combat and terrain.

The thing you need to worry about your plan is what happens when the termis do not come in. What would happen to your force if your termis didnt come in till turn 4. Also what will happen if one comes in on turn 2 and has nothing to support it. Crisis suits will eat up termis if there are enough of them. Like Remiyo said you need to have enough supporting fire that you can hold out.
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Personally, I use mass infiltrator Meltaguns & Multi-meltas, followed up by mass deepstrikers. Using cover to it's best advantage like we should all know how to do.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

The best way to eliminate tau is to get them where they can't get you. Close combat.

Case in point: When a unit of Crisis suits dropped next to my Devastators, I was forced into a dilemma. Either shoot and risk missing, thus letting them shoot me. Or hit them in CC, denying them their strength.

I chose to go into CC. One, my devastators hadn't done much at that point, and two, it was the most reasonable thing to do.

The one thing that ALWAYS gives Tau a pain is Terminators. I play Dark Angels so I take them more often, but I highly suggest it to any marine player. Their assault cannons chew through their armour, and a unit of terminators paired with a basic marine squad in CC will tear through any Tau unit with ease.

Bottom line, hit the Tau in hand to hand combat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast