Whirlwind vs. ML Dev Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Whirlwind vs. ML Dev Squad

I've been working through some changes in my list and I've noticed that I can drop one of my 4x ML Dev Squads for 2 Whirlwinds. I've tested them out in two games so far and have had mixed feelings about them. The list is for a league starting up in a couple of weeks and I won't really have time to playtest the whirlwinds before it starts. The rest of the list is take all comers with a mix of long range and CC models.

So I'm curious as to what other people would choose and why? Should I stick with my two 4x ML Dev Squads or switch to one 4x ML Dev Squad and two Whirlwinds.

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always of the mind that more soldiers on the field will survive, and be more versitile in the long run. The whirlwind can do great, or it can do nothing, where as, I have always found a use for 4 Str 8 shots a turn, and 8 more marines. Just my two cents, good luck! BoS
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I think it would depend on terrain. You will get more firepower out of the Dev squad, but if you play on a board with a fair amount of terrain, then your Dev's are probably not firing on the best target, or *eek!!!* actually moving for a turn or two. In which case the Whirlwinds are a vast improvment. If you typically play on tables with sparse terrain, or against opponents less then capable of using terrain then stick with the Dev's.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

You have to face the facts that most people are going to be playing space marines or other MEQ's, and whirlwinds aren't exactly proficient at killing MEQ's. therefore, i'ld stick with the devestators
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it what type of army are you playing? A shooty, cc?

If shooty, If you have alot of firepower from your other squads and enough anti-tank weapons I would put in 2 Whirlwinds. Because you can lay mines on your guys to help protect them from cc armys. And if your playing vs another shooty army you can bombard thier army and hope to pin some of their squads.

If your playing a CC army. I wouldn't take the Whirlwinds. Because you won't really be needing the mines. And if you shoot the other missiles(the ones that do damage,can't remeber the name atm) you might hit your own guys while their assualting.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found whirlwinds greatest strength is that they force your opponant to react, they have to expend resorces to take them out or suffer the barrage each turn.

They tend to survive a few turns while they are hidden and if placed away from other troops can stretch the opponants attack.

of corse in an escalation the effectiveness is vastly reduced as they wont be shooting for at least two turns,this is why i dont take my two to any tournys.

Oh yes and they can also move twelve inch on the final turn to contest/claim objectives if this applys.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by BringerOfStorms View Post
    I am always of the mind that more soldiers on the field will survive, and be more versitile in the long run. The whirlwind can do great, or it can do nothing, where as, I have always found a use for 4 Str 8 shots a turn, and 8 more marines. Just my two cents, good luck! BoS
    I agree with BOS. More marines is always an advantage. On the other hand, if you are getting bored with the same old thing, give it a try. Whirlwinds perform their job well, and are more mobile if they need to be.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Hiding keeps your units safe, there's a quote in the BGB to the effect that any unit, no matter how well protected will become a casualty if seen.

1 ML Devastator Squad and 2 Whirlwinds will give you better anti-horde than two of ML, and the enemy should only have a finite number of light/medium vehicles.

ML Devs may be somewhat better anti-MEQ, but don't discount Whirlwinds, alot of SM players don't space that well due to the complacency Power Armour provides and though 4+ cover may halve the effectivenss of ML, it won't to Whirlwinds.

I'm not a ML fan, but two Whirlies seems somewhat unfluffy, a Chapter doesn't have that many and two for a half company is a bit much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings View Post
    I'm not a ML fan, but two Whirlies seems somewhat unfluffy, a Chapter doesn't have that many and two for a half company is a bit much.
    I am not sure what you are basing this upon...I think a big, well funded chapter like Ultramarines could certainly field several.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Some certainly, but 2 per company would mean about 20 total, and 2 for a Half company sized force is too much in my opinion.

Then again, I also don't like Whirlwinds at all, SM should be launching ASSAULTS on key positions, 'Podding onto enemy command centres etc, not sitting behind a hill/wood and pounding like IG.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast