Useless Imperial Guard? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless Imperial Guard?

Just a quick thread. I watched a game at my local GW store, a guy was using Imperial Guard, he only took Guardsmen and well, they seemed useless. He couldnt field anything else as it was a low points game, i dont want people asking me about the game, i just want to know your experiences with standalone Platoons of Guardsmen.

Thanks!

-Ash

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I can't see how they were useless, considering a typical Imperial Guard army is made up of 75% Infantry... they are the backbone of most IG forces, with their special and heavy weapons and vast numbers of troops they are able to field.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, thats what i thought until i watched this game, but he just couldnt seem to so anything usefull with his Guardsmen, due to low BS and low Strength. Have you had better luck with them? What do you take in 1000pts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Oblivion View Post
    Yeah, thats what i thought until i watched this game, but he just couldnt seem to so anything usefull with his Guardsmen, due to low BS and low Strength. Have you had better luck with them? What do you take in 1000pts?
    My ideas are almost purely infantry, with only Sentinel support, and I just can't see how those Guardsmen were useless. The Lasguns, when in a sufficient amount, can do a fair amount of damage. Their BS isn't horrendous - it's merely average. The true strength of the Guardsmen are the heavy and special weapons, and their vast numbers of troops to overwhelm the enemy.

I'm not positive on how many men I'd have in 1000 points, as I like to take Doctrines such as Light Infantry, Sharp Shooters, and the likes, so, they tend to be slightly more expensive than your average Guard Platoon.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they werent useless as such, but he got massacred, do you count that as useless? Basically, can an Imperial Guard army win without the big guns, like tanks, and the heavy weapons? Also if i were to start an Imperial Guard army, i dont want to use Ratlings, Riders or Ogryns. Some people say to use a Codex effectively you should use all aspects of it, obviously in this case i dont want to, do i have a chance or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Well they werent useless as such, but he got massacred, do you count that as useless? Basically, can an Imperial Guard army win without the big guns, like tanks, and the heavy weapons?
    Considering the fact that one of the biggest and best reasons to even have an Imperial Guard army, besides the tanks, is the sheer number of heavy and special wepaons.. I'd have to say no. Most armies, in fact, in this game will lose against another if they do not have heavy weapons along with them.

Also if i were to start an Imperial Guard army, i dont want to use Ratlings, Riders or Ogryns. Some people say to use a Codex effectively you should use all aspects of it, obviously in this case i dont want to, do i have a chance or not?
    More than a chance. Most IG players don't use any of the three, and in fact sometimes count Ratlings and Ogryns (especially Ogryns) as being "useless" in the sense that it is very, very difficult to find a situation where the points spent on them will be worth it in your game.

If you take a browse through the lists in the Army Lists subforum, you'll see that most people don't use those three units very often.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i have just had a quick look, one guy took 10 Ratlings and was advised to drop them. One last question, on average how many heavy weapons do you take in 1000pts? If you know off hand, what are they?

Maybe it was just a bad first impression of Guardsmen, he must have been unlucky, because even i thought that many Lasguns should pull something off!

Thanks a bunch Lost!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Yeah i have just had a quick look, one guy took 10 Ratlings and was advised to drop them. One last question, on average how many heavy weapons do you take in 1000pts? If you know off hand, what are they?
    Typically, one per squad, especially in standard Infantry platoons, unless I want them to be very, very mobile.

Maybe it was just a bad first impression of Guardsmen, he must have been unlucky, because even i thought that many Lasguns should pull something off!
    That's what it seems like to me, that, and he may not have had a rock-solid army list in the first place. If you just have a bunch of plain ol' Guardsmen, you won't get very much done.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    That's what it seems like to me, that, and he may not have had a rock-solid army list in the first place. If you just have a bunch of plain ol' Guardsmen, you won't get very much done.
    What kind of stuff can you do to Guardsmen to make them not so plain? Do you mean extra weapons or the Doctrines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

What kind of stuff can you do to Guardsmen to make them not so plain? Do you mean extra weapons or the Doctrines?
    Both, actually.

Sharpshooters is a great add-on for Guardsmen, especially those with special and heavy weapons.

However, special and heavy weapons should always be included in your squads, in my book. They are the main firepower of any Imperial Guard army, and definitely achieve things when aimed at the enemy.

The heavy weapons I tend to throw in the most are the Heavy Bolter, Autocannon, Missile Launcher, and Lascannon. Plasma Guns are the "main" special weapon of most IG armies these days, so that they can effectively combat MEQs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast