Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Well I just recently began playing 40k (as a result of getting a job at a hobby store), and started with daemonhunters.
anywho, just a few daemonhunter related questions that i hope can be cleared up for this nub...
1. Grand Master's retinue of Terminators can be deep striked?
2. Grand Master's retinue can or cannot include a brother captain?
2a. If it can not, couldn't you just create a regular elite squad of GK Terminators and then just have the GM join it? I ask because this way you can effectively field a unit of terminators with a grand total of 3 psycannons (i think, which brings me to 3.).
3. The Unit leader's equipment does or does not count towards the limit on X weapon (ie up to one Terminator may have an incinerator or psycannon, does that mean that if the Brother Captain is equipped with a psycannon, then you may not have any of your regular terminators equipped with one?)
i'm just trying to load psycannons out the wazoo here...
also, i was thinking of expanding my army but do it by including sisters of battle/witchhunters. is it possible to add an exorcist to a GK army? what must you do to include an exorcist? couldn't i do somethng like add a WH HQ or something?
Last edited by INQ; October 7th, 2006 at 20:46.
1) Yeah, they can deepstrike. All GK Termies and GK heroes can always do it, as well as any GK teleport squads.
2) Nope, no Brother Captain for you. You could take an Elite squad and attach the GM, but: a) it's more expensive, b) it takes up an HQ and Elites slot that could often be better used, and c) I believe there's some subtle differences between retinues and joining a different squad.
3) The equipment limits are for the squad in general, the leaders can take their own equipment separately. think of it as the squad can get this stuff, and the BC has his own personal Psycannon.
Just FYI here, but loading up on Psycannons isn't necessarily a great plan. They're great guns, especially on Termies, but every GK army is always operating on a serious points budget. By the time you've got Termies, and a BC, and a GM, AND multiple Psycannons, you're sinking huge points into a unit that's all too easy to lose to a few bad rolls. If you're taking PAGK's too, your points are burning up at a phenomenal rate.
I believe the Exorcist is a WH Heavy support choice, so no, you can't take it. The Codex has a section that outlines exactly what you can and cannot take.
First off, welcome to the fold Brother! Im sure you wil find the Daemonhunters to be a rewarding force to play, and all that kinda stuff...
To answer you questions:
1. Yes, you can deepstrike a GK Grand Master and his retinue. (Look under Terminator Armour in the wargear section of the codex, pg19)
2. You can not include a Brother Captain in your Grand Masters retinue, but you can join your GM to a terminator squad led by a BC .
3. Wargear and equipment does not count to the limits on squad upgrades like psycannons and incinerators, so yes you can upgrade a standard termie to have a psycannon and then still give the BC and GM psycannons from the wargear list for a total of 3 psycannons in the squad.
On a side note, i am personnaly none too fond of Grand Masters, as they tend not to be worth thier points over, say, another 3 regular termies or 2 brother captains, or 5 regular Grey Knights...
 looks like wraith beat me to it
hmm alright, thanks. i did notice how i got chewed up by a shooty army (IG). but once i succesfully deepstriked, even though most of the terminators in the retinure (all but one) were instantly slaughtered, the GM alone took out half his army. So i'm kind of inspired to to keep em. Also psycannons worked great, but the template deaths hurt.
One thing to note about joining your GK Hero -- BC or GM -- to an Elite choice of GKTs is that you can't deep strike them together. An independent character can only join a squad that is on the table. Can't join them ahead of time, unfortunately! That means two separate reserves rolls, and a good bit of luck, to get your GK Hero and your GKTs to join up. So just don't do it. Essentially all you're getting is a more expensive GKT out the deal anyway (in the form of the Elite's BC), and that really isn't a bargain anyway.
On the GM, there can be no doubt that he's a righteous butt-kicker. However, the DH armoury has no insta-kill proetection. Send him up against a marine squad with a power fist and he could bite it just like that. For nearly the same points outlay, you could take a BC and two GKTs. This gives you the same number of wounds, but twice the attacks and three times the shots. All you are missing is the force weapon, but with so many additional attacks you won't ever miss it.
ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014
Yeah, my Daemonhunters lists are tight on points enough to buy a huge points sink like that. I think that adding some more firepower or models is better.
I'm an American, religious, male and a proud Republican. You have your beliefs and (gasp) I have mine. Deal with it!Originally Posted by Wikipedia