Do Plasma and melta guns make the other weapons seem useless? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Do Plasma and melta guns make the other weapons seem useless?

Hi,
    I wonder what uses flamers and grande launchers have as i find it hard to see a role were one of these two weapons would be more useful then just taking a plasma gun.
    For its cost a grande launcher sould be a better then it is as for only 2 points more you get a gun with better strength and AP,now you cant really make the launcher any better as then it would just be another plasma tybe weapon.

So what are the flamer and GL better for then just byeing a plasma or metla? Nids are to fast to flame and the plasma can aslo act as a tyrant or other armoured nid killer. The GL may kill tau fire warriors but what about all the kinds of battle suits? And any marine type army needs plasmas as the other weapons will rarely get any kills at all.

Yes the plsama gun overheats but killing a few marines is better then killing none at all with the other weapons so how can we make cool weapons like flamers and grenade launchers more useful or do you find ways to use them over plasma guns right now?

"Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Most of the other guns, the way I see it, are there partially from a fluff standpoint. Here on the IG boards you'll see the same handfull of members saying plasma all the way but as far as fluff goes theres about one plasma gun for every platoon or two of men. Same would go for meltaguns, but its more like two for every platoon or two.

They are supposed to be rare, old, and very hard to maintain so they go to the most elite warriors first...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Flamers and Grenade launchers are best used in City Fight or Cities of Death. They have shorter range but because your enemy is so tightly packed they get fried or blasted. Of course I field mostly Grenade launchers and my only flame type weapon is the Hell Hound.
    This is manly a personal thing but I don’t like frying my own men with there weapons my only plasma weapons are two in one of my Storm Trooper squads and the sponsors on my Demolisher. I let my infantry deal with the light to medium stuff wile I let my heavies deal with the heavy stuff.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Whilst i would be one of the first to say 'YAY! Plasma all the way!", all of the special weapons available to guardsmen have their own strong suits.

I like to sometimes put 4 grenade launchers in with a junior officer, sure its expensive, but they can fire up to maximum range on the move, and the potential for 4 blast markers against low toughness enemies is awesome (such as small nids, eldar guardians, tau, other guardsmen). Basically, what I like about them is their high range assault shooting ability, and the fact that they can help to take out hordes (frag) AND light vehicles (krak). Lots of versatility there!

As for flamers, most people would advise against them, but their strength (in my mind) lies in 3 things - That you dont have to rely on the guardsman's avg BS to hit
    - That you can hit many models in one shot, if positioned well, which can be equal to (or even better than) a high strength low ap shot.
    - That although you want to avoid close ranged shooting and combat, often if your oppenent is any good, you will not have a choice and will be forced into such conflict. As such, its good to be prepared.
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; October 11th, 2006 at 07:31.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by KOS-MOS View Post
    Hi,
    I wonder what uses flamers and grande launchers have as i find it hard to see a role were one of these two weapons would be more useful then just taking a plasma gun.
    For its cost a grande launcher sould be a better then it is as for only 2 points more you get a gun with better strength and AP,now you cant really make the launcher any better as then it would just be another plasma tybe weapon.

So what are the flamer and GL better for then just byeing a plasma or metla? Nids are to fast to flame and the plasma can aslo act as a tyrant or other armoured nid killer. The GL may kill tau fire warriors but what about all the kinds of battle suits? And any marine type army needs plasmas as the other weapons will rarely get any kills at all.

Yes the plsama gun overheats but killing a few marines is better then killing none at all with the other weapons so how can we make cool weapons like flamers and grenade launchers more useful or do you find ways to use them over plasma guns right now?
    Yep, that's pretty much the way I see it. I'm not going to take Grenade Launchers when plasmaguns are so much better.

Coming to flamers though, inducted Seraphim with twin hand flamers and divine guidance are very useful. If you want some flamers in your army, either this unit or a deepstriking suicide special weapons squad (with obligatory demo charge) are the way to go.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I agree with Cadaver Junkie about the grenade launchers. Used in mass they really come into their own.
    And when in a JO squad, you have a bit more mobility than the average IG squad. This squad makes for a really versatile squad.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Well if I was taking an inquisitor with a retinue of warriors, I wouldn't give them plasma guns, it'd be either flamers, melta guns or grenade launchers because they are assault weapons and there is nothing more annoying than wanting to assault someone and not being able to because you shot a rapid fire weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know how some people use those big speedbumps of conscript squads? Why not slap in a few flamers? You wouldn't have to rely on the BS2.

"Look Livley!"

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

You know how some people use those big speedbumps of conscript squads? Why not slap in a few flamers? You wouldn't have to rely on the BS2.
    Couldn't agree more. Nothing could be much more fun than a 50 man conscript squad with 5 flamers. Well, maybe if you add a commissar in there as well!

Great for cities of death battles (apart from physically moving so many models around through buildings), they absolutely come into their own then. Use them with an ammo dump when you want to hold a building against all comers!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

The only other weapon I will use is a Flamer. Other than that I run with 3/4 Plasma, and 1/4 Meltas. All Meltas being in drop squads or tank busting/assault Grenadier squads.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast