Transport vs. Deep Strike/Drop Pod - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Transport vs. Deep Strike/Drop Pod

Well, basically as the title says. Which do you think is more effective between transports in deep striking.

For an assault army? A shooting army? In general?

My initial thoughts are that transports would be better for assault, and drop podding for shooting style armies.

Reason being, is because transports you can position better to assault the next turn, and many times assault sooner. Upgrades can help keep your transport alive, and with the Land Raider you can assault straight out of the vehicle. If you're not in the Land Raider, then you can disembark behind cover and then assault, or block your squad with your transport.

For shooting, drop pods, because they will not be damamged after they arrive on the field. They can also shoot the turn they arrive, but cannot assault.

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

There's a whole lot of debating to be made on this subject yet before it's resolved.

I prefer Infiltrating & Deepstriking myself. But Transports are helpful too... Rhino rush, rhino wall, etc.
    If you want a lot of Termies to come at once, normal Deepstrike them, but it's rare for them to survive that long without the Drop pod.
    That and the Drop pod ability to land anywhere you want it to, so you can just deepstrike it into objectives and take up a chunk of space, etc.

The only Transports I fully endorse are the Land Raiders, and even then not in small armies.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

A Drop Pod will always put you roughly where you want to be on the table top, is completely unstopable and cannot explode in your face to Pin you and cause casualties.

A Rhino is remarkably good at pinning/killing your own troops.

In either case you can't assault from either vehicle allowing your opponent to manouver in response, a Land Raider (Crusader) can get you there but costs a bomb and is vulnerable to several weapon types.

Overall I prefer the cheaper 'Pod, but don't use either to get to combat.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Depends on the vehicle makeup of your army. If you have nothing but Rhinos, and no other big, shiny, noisy rolling things for the enemy's big guns to shoot at, kiss 'em goodbye. I've learned this the hard way. Rhinos aren't called "rolling coffins" for nothing.

OTOH, if you have a line or preds, land speeders, land raiders, or another brilliant plan to distract the big guns, Rhinos can sneak into place quite nicely and they are handy for placing between two pieces of terrain as a "roadblock." Just better make sure the Rhinos don't get your enemy's undivided attention. Never a good thing. Crack like an egg, they will. Bottom line: They are support and transport units, NOT front line machines. Save that for the IG Chimeras and the like.

As for drop pods, I'm building some now from scratch, cuz I'm sold on 'em. Allows a virtually guaranteed safe Deep Strike drop, as opposed to teleporting in, which can get, well, messy. Also allows you to DS almost your entire army without using traits, if you really wanna do that. Only trouble with 'em is, your units better have really good guns, or very thick armor, since they can't move or assault when they arrive, making them a sitting duck for a turn. Terrible idea for all-CC units (assault termies, for example).

If you're applying the true (IMO) SM mentality of having an overall, take-all-comers strategy that works for most of your units, then infiltrate is prolly the way to go. Still not good enough to get you into assult on the first turn, but darned close. Use traits to get your whole army deployed AFTER your enemy. Kinda fun to sit there smugly with your side of the board empty while your opponent tries to guess where you're gonna land.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Infiltrate is an assault armies best friend.

Deep strike is only for termintors.

Drop pods are best used for shooty armies.

Rihnos are dead, they have little or no use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the way i see it, if you buy a rhino, you pay more points nthan a drop pod, for less armour, and the chance that its not going to get where it wants before it goes boom. from turn 1 the rhino is a target, whereas, the drop pod only becomes a target, when it has acheived its purpose. drop pod all the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Infiltrate is always a better vehicle than a rhino. They really nerfed my beloved mechanized coffins. I still use them in extreme cases, but not for a cc squad. I might use it for a squad that has to get somewhere quick and might have decent cover, like in CoD, and maybe to block LOS or something... but not its intended application...

I hardly ever have points to spare for a land raider... esp when what I put inside is usually very expensive itself. It can turn into a 500 pts+ unit!

I find drop pods to be good for short to medium range shooty armies. Their ability to respond quickly to an annoying situation is priceless.

But I always prefer infiltrate, unless I can protect my rhinos.
    I'm an American, religious, male and a proud Republican. You have your beliefs and (gasp) I have mine. Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    To be "owned" in a game or otherwise is to be miserably defeated by an opponent or an opposing team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

My rhino's have never let me down when I use them; roadblock rush is very effective when your carrying fifty odd marines decked out for close combat while you also have land-speeders, predators/vindicators, and dreadnoughts shooting at the enemy and making themselves look like better targets.

(In a drawn out game that goes far beyond six turns though, the army gets slower and slower as more of the rhino's are take out; but unless your up against a dedicated shooty army that can pop upwards of five vehicles a turn you should have enough speed to last half the game compared to a droppod army that gets where it needs to be and thats it for that pod.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with the type of army u mentioned, darkreever, is that it's a pretty BIG game. if u need "fifty odd marines decked out for close combat (fitted in rhinos) while you also have land-speeders, predators/vindicators, and dreadnoughts" that's gonna be quite a large game.

while i do agree taht ur method is sound and seems lots of fun:w00t: , most of us simply dont have the time (or models!) to play games of taht scale.

just my 2 cents, no pun intended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

You can easily make a 2000 point army with forty nine tactical marines decked out for close combat, with two melta guns and a fisted sergeant in a rhino with smoke and extra armour, led by a captain with two dreadnoughts, three land speeder tornadoes, and a pair of predators.
    (Those ten man squads cost 263, the nine man unit which would then have the captain would be 248 with a 101 captain making it the most expensive eleven units in your entire force.)

I'll admit that requires a bit of money to make, but thats by no means an extremely high point army...

(Though that is nine treads and three skimmers being fielded; containing fifty space marines ready to pop important units and left-over armour.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast