Mechanized "V" for Mech Sisters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Mechanized "V" for Mech Sisters?

I've been tempted to try out this idea for a while now. It's basically a V formation for all your rhinos/immos (if you run a mech sisters list). Basic tenet is you start all your sisters/celestians/dominions/etc in their transport at the beginning of the game. Then you cram them into a V formation in your deployment zone like this:

I
    R R
    R R

KEY:
    I = Immolator
    R = Rhino

This formation assumes you have at least 5 units with dedicated transport. It would also work best (IMHO) if you got first turn. Furthermore it requires pinpoint distance measuring when you first move. The goal would be to have around 4-6" distant between all vehicles and have the vehicles be appx 2" out from one another. (So the 1st Rhino would be 4-6"back from the Immo and 2" off to it's side and so on down the line)

Anyway the basic idea is, on your turn you rush this formation up max distance and then have the lead vehicle pop smoke. Now I prolly need to re-read my BRB again, but if they stayed in this formation wouldn't the enemy be forced to target the closest unit (in this example the Immo) which would basically leave the rest of the transpos free from shooting for a turn? Which would mean on the next turn you could close the gap even further and prolly be right on top of the enemy? IDK this seems in my head an awesome idea, and I'm tempted to try it, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried this or if this is even feasible.

If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Durendal View Post
    I
    R R
    R R

KEY:
    I = Immolator
    R = Rhino

Anyway the basic idea is, on your turn you rush this formation up max distance and then have the lead vehicle pop smoke. Now I prolly need to re-read my BRB again, but if they stayed in this formation wouldn't the enemy be forced to target the closest unit (in this example the Immo) which would basically leave the rest of the transpos free from shooting for a turn? Which would mean on the next turn you could close the gap even further and prolly be right on top of the enemy? IDK this seems in my head an awesome idea, and I'm tempted to try it, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried this or if this is even feasible.
    No, because they are all vehicles, your opponent can take priority checks to target other vehicles, which are likely to carry your larger Celestian and Battle Sister's squads.

If you gave every transport smoke, then they'd be equally protected, but you can't force your opponent to only hit the front vehicle.

Good thinking, though, well thought out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Put an Exorcist in the center.

______I_______
    __R______R___
    R____E______R

After the initial 12" move it won't be able to fire however if you have smoked them all it has a good chance of getting to turn #2 and it will likely have range on most of your opponents units. (Of course they'll have you in range too. )

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Thanks guys.

Yeah as of now all my vehicles have smoke. I figured if it could work then on turn 2 the rest of the vehicles could pop smoke.

Guess if I tried this I'd have them all smoke on turn 1

Thanks again!
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run something along these lines. I always run 4 rhinos (2 cels, 2 sobs) and lately have been using an immo as well. What I generally do is to run two rhinos out on turn one and turn them back end to back end with a slight angle towards the enemy and pop smoke. Think of a "Y" with a lower angle and the open end facing the enemy.I run the other two rhinos and immo hidden behind them. Then on turn 2 if I still need to push farther swap places with the back rhinos to let them now block los and pop smoke. Basically, you need a glance 6 to hurt the smoked rhinos. A lot of times I will run a sera squad behind them also to give them cover.

I wouldn't run your immo out in front but hide it behind. It is a feared tank for some reason and becomes a higher priority. I also would not bring up your exos because I like to fire mine but mor importantly, I want them to take any anti-tank fire allowing the rhinos and immos to get into positions.

One thing to be aware of is that a higher armored vehicle (anything with fa 12) can push through your wedge. I once had a guy run his LRC through my rhinos as they have to give way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Just FYI the formation we have been discussing in military jargon is called a Wedge.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

+ Reply to Thread