Help out a WH40K n00b plz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help out a WH40K n00b plz

ok so i got into warhammer a while ago and now i relised that i need a certain mount of points to get certain leaders so i have a question. does this army obey the rules and if not what do i need to get?
    i got :
    the starter squad that comes with the paints (4 normal SM and 1 sargent)
    a pack of 5 normal SM guys
    a pack with 9 normal SM guys and a sargent (one of the normal guys is holding a bazoka thing and one is holding a flamethrower thing)
    i forgot the name but it ends with naught i think (its a big guy that has 4 different arms and can use 2 of them at a time)
    and my leader is a normal librarian

as you can see im a n00b. i dont even no the names. plz tell me what i should get next and im geting the battle for (insert name here) which is this pack with SM and triannids.
    please excuse my n00bness

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member I am the Monkey King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off: Welcome to the Librarium.

I'm thinking you have altogether 16 normal marines, two sergeants, a marine with a flamer and a marine with a missile launcher, and a librarian. And presumably a Dreadnought. You might want a commander instead of a librarian at for small games as they cost a lot less points. After that some more marines and maybe something like a land speeder (or two) or assault squad might be a good idea.

We're all noobs at one point, so don't feel bad about it.

I'd advise against buying lots of points-worth of models just so you can use the special characters (who can only be taken in big armies). They're a nice little addition to a force, not something to base your entire collectiona round.

Oh and a bit less web-speak wouldn't go amiss. Just friendly advice
    Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I would follow the link in my signature first.

Second i would get the space marine codex (if you dont already have that)

3rd id make an army list, start with what you have, then what you want.

Your point total should be 1500, as you get more experanced add more points. Eventually you;ll have a force that can play the full range of normal games hopefully - 1000-2000 points.

Finally deside weather you want to have a themed army or a compedative army, sometimes both can be achieved, but its rare, and more difficult.

So once you get to step 3, making an army list, id make a new tread, and post the army list in the army section.

Please format your squads like this:

HQ-

Chaplain reclusiarch, 122 points;
    Jump pack, bolt pistol, frags, Terminator honours;

(no need to list things that come free, although you can)

Troops-

Tactical squad, 6 marines, 115 points;
    4 bolters, 1 lascannon, 1 plasma gun;

Tactical squad, 10 marines, 200;
    8 bolters, 1 melta gun;
    1 Veteran Ssgt, Powerfist, bolt pistol;
    Frags;

(list any skill, suck as furious charge, in the line with frags)

Thus:

Squad name, Total # in squad, points;
    # of basic weapons, # of special weapons, # of heavy weapons;
    # of veteran Ssgts, wargear selections;
    Squad upgrades; (such as grenades or skills)

If any of the following are 0, do not list them. Example, do not list Veteran Ssgts if you dont have one.

Good Hunting,
    Forged.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; October 29th, 2006 at 08:39.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats right dreadnaught! ok so i just want a simple army. i dont want to spent a fortune. so i should get assult squad or a landspeeder. im getting that pack with like 10 marines and some triannids so i am getting a bit more marines anyway. what exactly should be my leader?
    Last edited by slick_25; October 29th, 2006 at 08:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing to do is decide what style of army you want to play. Basically, static shooty, mobile shooty, assaulty or a balance.lanspeeders and bikes would go with mobile shooty, assault squads with assaulty (i'm sure you guessed that) and devestator squads with static shooty. Personally I like all three.

Leader-wise, its hard to go wrong with a jump-packed chaplain accompanied by an assault squad, but librarians have a great many uses and commanders are far cheaper.

I'd go with ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's suggestion that you buy the codex first though. Unless you're wanting to be Dark Angels and are really poor, in which case waiting til spring might be an idea.
    Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx

ok so i think i will go with assulty and use a commander as a leader. does that mean i can still use my librarian in battles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have two HQ slots in a standard battle, so yes you can have both on table at once, its not generally a good idea in less than about 1500 points though, as it lessens the number of troops you can have. And with marines more troops=easier game (for the most part).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so do HQ - points and everything else + points?

sorry for so many questions :blush:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More questions=more answers=more knowledge.

Questions aren't a bad thing. However I don't actually understand this one.

Therefore i shall use the classic method of explaining the entire principal and hoping your confusion is covered by doing so.

Everything costs points, fancier things cost more than normal ones. This allows for fair battles, because both armies have the same number of points and therefore theoretically should be evenly matched. HeadQuarters units like librarians and commanders are fancy therfore they cost a lot of points.

Does that help at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno. ok so here is a easier way to understand the question. is there a way to up my points? and how many points do i have to spend? maybe i should just go buy the codex and read, read and read till i know what im doing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast