Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Anyone that visits the Daemonhunters section of the forums will know I'm kinda looking around for another army once my Dark Eldar are finished. As I said over there, I love the way DE play, hitting hard and incredibly fast (despite the occasional frustration of vehicles that plummet out of the sky when they meet a stiff breeze). The catch is, I'm not a big fan of their fluff or models. (I started them when I was totally focused on gaming, but now I'm starting to shift a bit, and I'm getting interested in modelling and painting). So, I'm out looking for an army that I'm gonna love in all respects. The ones that strike me are a variety of Inquisition armies, but also the Imperial Guard.
I'm trying to get a better feeling for them, so I'd really appreciate if people could tell me some things:
- What initially drew you to your Imperial Guard? Why did you pick them and not something else?
- Now that you've got them, what do you love about them? Is it that occasional guard squad that wins a CC or shoots down a Tyrant, or dropping pie plates on Marines, or something else? Or perhaps it's something to do with modelling/painting.
- What are your frustrations? Surely no army is perfect. Despite everything you love about them, what bothers you a little?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
2. I am frustrated with game workshop downsizing the skill sof a human soldier by making the infantry platoon stats lower than what they should be and the Imperial Guard players at Librarium online who always downsize certain doctrines just because they are not good at playing with them.
I play both Grey Knights and Guard, but IG was my first army.
I started playing Deamonhunters because I could add it on to my IG, but it also a challenge to play. I didn't want to do another SM/CSM army.
I love IG because you have to find a way for your little weak and pathetic men to beat Aliens , supermen and other super "species". Little men with big guns, that is what it us all about.
Whatother army would have a Doctrine like "Cheminhalors"? Drugs to make us stay longer in battle, how foibeled.:sleep:
I also love Tanks and am quite the "Treadhead".
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
i play chaos/crons, but i have an old IG army and still like using them once in a while.
What drew me to them? They have character, and lots of it. They are probably the easiest army to relate to, just being one among the hundreds without much to cover your a*s. The fluff is awesome, just in general, if you find a regiment that you love the fluff of, you can really get into them.
They have numbers, and lots of em, 3 guard per 1 necron, thats nuts. Period.
Just generally i think they great, until they enemy whips out anything str6+, or when they get smacked with some heavy bolter rounds. All in all theyr great:yes:
“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” ~ Woody Allen
Tanks and no one here was playing them.
I love making holes with my Basilisk and having barbecues with my Hellhounds
Finally Question 3
Uuuhhh .... Most of my complaints are with me. My roles or my plans that don't work. oh and that I play Steel legion so my models are metal, cost a lot, and are out of print thank you very much Voysterans.
If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.
There were no SMurfs available at the time.- What initially drew you to your Imperial Guard? Why did you pick them and not something else?Yes, overrunning big nasties like Bloodthirsters with a bucket full of guardsmen is very pleasing.- Now that you've got them, what do you love about them? Is it that occasional guard squad that wins a CC or shoots down a Tyrant, or dropping pie plates on Marines, or something else? Or perhaps it's something to do with modelling/painting.Why is Cyber enhancements so costly for practically no benefit? Why can't a close combat unit like rough riders take Hardened Fighters even though a shooty infantry platoon unit can? WTF?? Why don't Ogryns have access to some doctrines? Especially special equipment. Ok, so fair enough they're too dumb to be taught new skills, but that doesn't hinder you giving them better armour or something. They could be improved to selectively take doctrines like Rough Riders. Whoever created the doctrines needs to be put down once they've given the job to someone with a slightly higher intelligence level.- What are your frustrations? Surely no army is perfect. Despite everything you love about them, what bothers you a little?
Techpriests! Why hasn't ours been fixed so it's like the space marine equivilant? Argh! It might actually be useful then.
No decent rough rider models. We're stuck with the extremely old Space hun models. It's a real shame that many gamers such as myself love them, however we refuse to use them because of the shocking models and lack of time/skill/patience to convert our own.
At least one heavy weapon in the basic infantry box would be nice boost for newbie IG players, especially if they don't have enough money to rush out and afford the costly Heavy Weapons set.
Last edited by Triumph Of Man; November 1st, 2006 at 04:24.
... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..
Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
Member of the Fluff Masters Clan
When Vostroyans were released...that was the final straw...hello vostroyan army...
2.I love that they can be anything from unlimited piles of crap, or a average number of pretty darn hardcore ppls.
3. I hate how fast doctrines can rack up the points...and that vostroyans had to be metal...but I guess beggar's can't be chosers...
-The God of all Machines
1. I like IG because they are a very well balanced force that fits well into the game. The infantry and artillery mesh well together, and the doctrines make it a very customizable army. Also, none of the units are really ridculous (i.e. no bloothirsters, wraithlords, etc.). Everything has its place in the imperial war machine. Also, unlike some other army, SM's in particular, the fluff matches the army. You have lots of average guys that overwhelm the enemy with sheer firepower and numbers.
2. I'm in college, and don't have much time to play, such is life.
3. Like Triumph of Man said, some units are not useful. In particular, the elite units are not well designed: Ogryns, Kasarkin, psychers, techpriests and commisars. So in general, a winning army has a lot of your basic troops, some vets, but most of the flashy and unique stuff will have to be shelved for a less competitve game. Guard are also one of the more costly and time intensive armies. A good IG army will probably run around $400 in model costs, and proably involve painting 70~90 guys.
"They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."