Librarium Online Forums banner

Please no more tanks, I beg you no more

3K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Badruk the Mighty 
#1 · (Edited)
First time posting.

I have recently stated playing Daemonhunters and have been really enjoying them. However i am soon to be facing a real problem, one of my friends have suddenly gone tank crazy and for an army with little to no long range weaponary i have a feeling i am about to suffer an utter defeat (another friend recently took him on a week ago and he's still picking up pieces of his mutliated men).

To give you a small taster of my pain. In a 1500 point army (he plays IG) he has 2 leman Russ's, a Baslisk, 3 sentinals, 2 customised light tanks, the list goes on. At 72" i am in range of 2 battle cannons and a earthsaker, at 48" some 20 lascannons. :O

I would like to use my GK but I fear that they wont make it within 24" of his line before being blown away and i have my doubts concerning deepstriking, i have had very mixed results in the past.

Melta weaponary would help but that requires me to close him down which seems questionable. The only option i can think of is either dropping my grey kinghts altogether to bring in some space marine armour and devestator squads or meeting him at his own game and piling my troops into landraiders and taking a few dreads. I am also thinking of employing a callidus assassin to infiltrate his heavy weapon teams and an orbital strike on any entrenchments.

However i still feel i am hiding to nothing from the vast amount of insta-kill high strength weapons he has to play with, so any advise on this issue would really be appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Your friend doesn't seem to be a good sport.

One of Deamonhunters real disadvantages is out lack of hi strength special weapons.

I recommend three Dreads with Lascannons/ML combos, and a couple of IST squads with Metla Guns.

#3 ·
Well.... Let me tell you, you just don't get used to it. My best buddy plays IG and favors armies like your friends. I've face numerous tanks, including a baneblade. I've lost half the games, managing to draw the rest. And then only through sheer luck.

Come to think of it, I've won one, where I was completely decimated except for my GM who managed to hide for 2 turn while in possession of the winning marker... How heroic.

Again, yesterday, I've drawn a firesweep in COD. Ok, I was unlucky when my BC and retinue DS'd directly on a wall, killing the 326 pts units (in a 2000 pts game). My reszerved started arriving at turn 3 and 4 (the termies on the fifth only to die). Yet only my friend's greater back luck helped me managed the draw.

Truth is, against tank heavy forces, it's very challenging (read not very fun) to play a mainly (or pure) GK list... Little or no anti-tank, easy prey for AP3 ordonnance... Yet, the GK models and fluff are soooo cool :w00t:

I'm going to try radical soon, and will give you knews!!!!

Phil

#4 ·
I'd agree with Diggums with regards to the dreads. You might take a LR (prolly not crusader here) for the TLLC's, but with 20 or so LC's stacked against you... well, AV14 can only take so much. I also think your idea of an orbital strike is a good one, since it can threaten a good amount of area (especially if you pick a road or river... remember the terrain piece it's keyed to can be of any size) and can hopefully get him to shift his artillery. I'd recommend the Melta Torpedo, due to the new rules regarding blast template weapons being cut to half strength if the hole isn't on the vehicle. The extra D6 on AP rolls will come in handy if you get lucky with your scatter rolls. I also think deep striking is likely to be your only chance of getting in range of any of his troops with your grey knights.

One popular choice for anti-armor would be to ally some Seraphim: a smaller sized unit that can utilize terrain as much as possible on the way in with dual inferno pistols on 1 or 2 models, and/or melta-bombs.

Another anti-armour choice is inducting a few IG platoons for their Lascannons (give him a taste of his own medicine =D). I've never gone that route myself, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness when your opponent is dropping ord. templates like nobody's business, but it may be worth a go.

Good luck friend =)

-H

#5 ·
try deepstriking a few squads of 5 man storm troopers w/ 2 meltaguns right behind one of his tanks. also, like said earlier, max out on dreadnoughts w/ tankhutting weapons and just concentrate on getting rid of those lemen russ's.

#6 ·
Unfortunately you cannot deepstrike inquisitional storm troopers, however what you can do is deepstrike two inquisitors with psycannons and terminator armor. It will give you 3 shots at strength 6 at the rear/side armor of a tank. It may not seem like much, but it will take the basalisk down, and then draw fire from the other tanks because you should be able to use your targeted tank as cover from normal units and if they can't see you they can't move to shoot you. Use your third elite slot for either a calidus or eversore--either will dominate IG heavy weapons platoons. Have two cheep melta stormie squads in chimeras that aren't meant to get shot down, but not until they take out the sentinals. If the sargents have tp homers you can then bring in your GKs by them, making sure they don't land outside of cover; Telesquads out of cover are meat for one battle cannon--however if you dump them on the back armor of a russ it is likely it wont be able to shoot for a turn so if you don't have cover go for rear armor. You can also bring a lone BC with a psycannon for his 3 shots at one tank.

It is a very hit or miss strategy, but I think it is our best chance (using only our codex) to battle the tank heavy armies.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the advise. I was already of thinking of taking 2 stormtrooper sqauds with 2 meltagun's apiece and the one dread, but I am begining to think an extra one will be at the very least needed and possibly a melta torpedo strike.

I never even considered deepstriking a lone inquisitor or BC behind his armour and let them open up with psycannons, to use your HQ in such a way sounds almost so ridiculous that its got to be done. I wonder how long my BC will last afterwards, 1 turn maybe, got to be worth a go.

#9 ·
I never even considered deepstriking a lone inquisitor or BC behind his armour and let them open up with psycannons, to use your HQ in such a way sounds almost so ridiculous that its got to be done. I wonder how long my BC will last afterwards, 1 turn maybe, got to be worth a go.
The real trick is that people will be confused at why you wasted your HQ, when you infact are getting a huge bargain if he kills anything...he will only cost 91 points and could drop a tank that costs atleast 125...then he is also in position to take fire away from your point heavy units, and if they don't shoot him they have a 36" range gun that can move and pop tanks in their backfield as well as a single guy who can eat up squads of guardsmen.

Sometimes I think about dropping 3 terminators with 2 psycannons back there, but I just start to think that might be too spendy, but it gets you double the shots, and if you can stay out of sight of the line squad lascannons you really are in good shape for the rest of the game. The only problem that it is 3 times the cost of the inquisitor for twice the shots, and only one more wound and it uses the same slot.

#10 ·
**Sympathetic wince**

Ouch... that's rough, man. Definitely one of the worst armies for DH to face. It's not necessarily totally unmanageable, though... (just so close to totally unmanageable as to be essentially the same thing... :wacko: )

After all, if my all infantry GK list can hold a full blown IG Armoured Company list to a draw (I had just started, didn't have Dreads and such yet!), your mixed forces ought to be able to make something work.

Working from my own experience, your only viable hope is to get in as close as possible, as fast as possible, and pray like crazy that the Shrouding rule likes you that day. Your troops stand their best chance assaulting thin side/rear armour or using Meltas up close, and unless your friend has a pretty good reckless streak to him, he's not likely to risk dropping Ordinance THAT close to his own assets.

TLLC/ML Dreads are definitely going to be your best friends here, and that Melta Strike could very well work wonders with the right placement and some luck. Anything to thin out the Pieplates-O-Doom landing everywhere.

Remember my GK vs. Armoured Company example? My salvation was having AWESOME luck with Shrouding and scatter in the early turns so I got into assault range mostly alive, then it just degenerated into GK's chasing Russes across the table, hacking at their weaker armour. Once I was in that close, I just had to survive the Sponson fire, as the Battle Cannons were mostly out of the action at that range. It ended up being a Draw due to almost no casualties on either side. :O

#11 ·
I'd go with Diggums advice and play 3 TLLC/ML dreads, deployed in cover, if possible, and fire away. Also take a squad of seraphim dedicated to tank hunting. I'd want this squad relatively large to make it survivable, 8+ models, say, with 2x inferno pistols and a VSS with an eviscerator.

Also, for your 2nd HQ, take an allied flying cannoness! Jump pack, cloak of st aspira, maybe mantle of opheila and/or rosarius, inferno pistol and eviscerator. Sure, she's a non-scoring unit, but you can do some real damage as a largely untargetable IC, and she'll give you 2 extra faith points to help power your seraphim, who will probably be needed to invoke 3+ invulnerable saves once or twice to survive their runs up to enemy armor. (IMHO, the flying cannoness, powered by faith, is the single best model in the game. She's the daemon-prince killer extraordinaire that makes our GMs look like little weak crybabies. And even fully equipped, she's usually cheaper than a GM! :yes: and :()

Finally, take an eversor. Yet more points for a non-scoring unit, but -- and it almost pains me to say this -- you can use him as a 1st-turn tank-hunter, too :wacko:: he's got melta bombs!

So, 3 dreads, seraphim, cannoness, eversor, that'd give you 6 solid anti-armour options.

Of course, you can never have enough suicide IST melta hit squads against heavily mechanized foes....

Good luck, no matter what you do. Let us know how it goes.

#12 ·
I recently played a 4k pt game against IG Armored Co. and did rather well, the first 2 turns went better than I thought they would have, Shrouding saved 2 squads from a whole mess of battle cannons. At turn 3 2 squads of 10 PAGKs and my HQ came into play, my HQ hit and the other 2 sqds did also, between those 3 things and my Eversor I tied him up long enough for 4 other squads of PAGKs to get into him, once I got into h2h with melta bombs I started to work my way down the line of tanks and by turn 5 it was basically over. Large sqds and a bit of luck is what I chalk it up to.

The list was all GKs, no IST.

#17 ·
Dude, I think it would be fun to play an armoured force...
We are their superiors, we have the equipment to out class them.

Everyone has made great points, if they are a force that isnt moving (that means your hitting instantly) make sure you use that Melta Ordanance Blast, it should always hit something, instantly kill any men and if nothing spread the fear and make them move (meaning they will be scattering 2d6".

Also dont forget the chainfists on IST Vet combined with the unit having 2 plasmas and then they can also have krak grenades..

I rate dreads, but I tell you what, if you only have two dreads as your armour they will be destroyed before you know what to do with them (I know thats what I would do with all those lascannons)

I'm excited for you, Good luck.

#27 ·
Wicked... so its like a power fist that can destroy vehicles... so does that also mean your initative is 1.
Exactly correct. Sadly, you can only put 'em on models in terminator armor.

is it possible to give him a psycannon AND Bolter-meltagun ? that way he can fire off the three str 6 shots and fire the meltagun? i searched all thru my rulebook on that. and couldnt figure it out. like i know that since he is an IC he can carry 2hweapons in 1hand. but can he carry 2 2h weapons, 1 for each hand? and if so, if they are both shooting weapons, can he fire them both?
First off, a model is allowed EITHER: 1) 1 one-handed weapon and 1 two-handed weapon, OR 2) 2 one-handed weapons. So no, you can't give him 2 two-handed weapons.

Second, you cannot shoot two guns with one infantry model in the same turn. There are exceptions to this rule (Tau Battlesuits, the CSM character Cypher, etc), but in general, this cannot be done.

#28 ·
First off, a model is allowed EITHER: 1) 1 one-handed weapon and 1 two-handed weapon, OR 2) 2 one-handed weapons. So no, you can't give him 2 two-handed weapons.

Second, you cannot shoot two guns with one infantry model in the same turn. There are exceptions to this rule (Tau Battlesuits, the CSM character Cypher, etc), but in general, this cannot be done.

ok that is what i thought. i wasnt sure though, hence why i asked. thanks mEGALOMANIAC. like usual, you always have good advice.

#33 ·
If a model has terminator armor, it MAY Deepstrike, IF the mission allows it. The entire unit in question must have terminator armor - you cannot give it to an Inquisitor Lord and have his whole retinue Deepstrike.

If a Grey Knight model has terminator armor, it MAY Deepstrike in ANY scenario, whether the scenario specifically allows Deepstriking or not. Again, everyone involved must have terminator armor to do this.

#36 ·
Ahh, cool beans. My mistake. I thought that it was a Daemonhunters-wide rule and not GKT specific. Thanks for clearing that up!

-H

#37 ·
What I'm interested in is how your Imperial Guard opponent gets these "baneblades" and "customized light tanks." I don't see anything about them in my Imperial Guard codex.
(The reason I'm interested, of course, is because I too play a tank-heavy Imperial Guard force and I want to know how to get these extra tanks.)

#38 ·
What I'm interested in is how your Imperial Guard opponent gets these "baneblades" and "customized light tanks." I don't see anything about them in my Imperial Guard codex.
(The reason I'm interested, of course, is because I too play a tank-heavy Imperial Guard force and I want to know how to get these extra tanks.)
Forgeworld armour books have the baneblade. Its a cool tank, but to play with forgeworld armour rules you have to agree with your opponent before hand at most places/tournaments. Custom tanks can be found in imperial armour books from forgeworld and in special imperial lists (tank company). I think he might also mean that these tanks just have a lot of upgrades.

#39 · (Edited)
Daemonhunters shouldn't have that hard a time with armor unless you are playing pure Grey Knights, but pure Grey Knights is going to have trouble with most things. Induct some Imperial Guard. Stick your Grey Knights in the Fast Attack slot. Even if you don't want to Deep Strike them, put them in your FA so that they set up last.

Check this out, by the way:
6 Rough Riders
Meltabombs

If you kill a single vehicle you've gotten this squad's points back. They're fast, too. Take two of these puppies and charge someone's tanks.

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
Alex 319 raised a point earlier which I thought I might add on

The Bneblade has already been well covered by mEGOLAMANIC.

Forgeworld armour books have the baneblade. Its a cool tank, but to play with forgeworld armour rules you have to agree with your opponent before hand at most places/tournaments. Custom tanks can be found in imperial armour books from forgeworld and in special imperial lists (tank company). I think he might also mean that these tanks just have a lot of upgrades.
Anyway note that, its very unbalanced to include one in under a 2,500 pt army.

But customised viechles are far less problematic and much easier to do. Using the VDR (Vehicle Design Rules) you can design whatever custom vehicle's you desire and normally you will be allowed to play them seeing as you have to pay through the nose for them. A vehicle with Landraider stats would cost 278 points without power of the machine spirit. I have a VDR transport which though I use infrequently, I have not once been forbidden from using. Its cost 85 points , with no extra wargear, which is hefty as its only got 10 armour, and a stormbolter (basically a rhino). However it is able to transport 10 troops and counts as a fast vehicle, meaning it moves 24" a turn, and I have found it very useful for loading IST's into to take objectives as fast as humanly possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.