Help beating Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Help beating Tau

ok a friend of mine uses tau and he prides himself on never being beaten yet(tis a lie i tell you) and i can't seem to beat him with my marines(or guard) and its making me mad. he was originally going to go full battle suit horde thing with 2 min size fire warrior squads, farsight, a hammerhead, and as many suits as he could cram into 1500-2000. but he abandoned that and went with 40 fire warriors, 6 suits, dropped farsight because of his hammer restriction(i hate hammerheads now power does stupid stuff to people) and took 2 hammerheads and whatever else he can squeeze in.

so i just wanna know if there is a way to beat 40 fw, 6 suits, 2 hammers and a bunch of other random tau stuff?(anyone from either guard or marines help i need to know for both)

and if my list will help ill post it

JOIN MY SQUAD IN THE SONS OF THE LIBRARIUM THREAD, I NEED TACTICAL MARINES! I PLAN TO CONVERT UP A SQUAD TO "COUNT AS" LoTD IN MY SMarine ARMY

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsauron View Post
    ok a friend of mine uses tau and he prides himself on never being beaten yet(tis a lie i tell you) and i can't seem to beat him with my marines(or guard) and its making me mad. he was originally going to go full battle suit horde thing with 2 min size fire warrior squads, farsight, a hammerhead, and as many suits as he could cram into 1500-2000. but he abandoned that and went with 40 fire warriors, 6 suits, dropped farsight because of his hammer restriction(i hate hammerheads now power does stupid stuff to people) and took 2 hammerheads and whatever else he can squeeze in.

so i just wanna know if there is a way to beat 40 fw, 6 suits, 2 hammers and a bunch of other random tau stuff?(anyone from either guard or marines help i need to know for both)

and if my list will help ill post it
    40 Fire Warriors.. I'm assuming they're static, i.e., not in transports? If so, you shouldn't have too much problem with these guys. Heavy Bolters and Assault Cannons will rip them to shreds, which is exactly what I recommend you doing.

As for Hammerheads, dedicated anti-tank units (small squads with Lascannons, probably) would probably be useful. Do not start taking tanks and expecting them to live a long time - Railguns make mincemeat out of them.

For the Crisis Suits, anything fast and assaulty will scare them. Assault Squads come to mind, but Scouts infiltrating would do the trick, too. Instead of assaulty Scouts, you could infiltrate small squads with Missile Launchers - instant kill on the Crisis Suits, and some more anti-tank if you need it.

I'd run something like a couple Tactical squads with Lascannons, Scouts squad or two with Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters, Devestators squad or two with 4x Heavy Bolters, Chaplain with Assault Squad, maybe a second Assault Squad, and a couple Land Speeder Tornadoes. Something along those lines should be able to take care of most of what this Tau list will be throwing at you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    [...]

I'd run something like a couple Tactical squads with Lascannons, Scouts squad or two with Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters, Devestators squad or two with 4x Heavy Bolters, Chaplain with Assault Squad, maybe a second Assault Squad, and a couple Land Speeder Tornadoes. Something along those lines should be able to take care of most of what this Tau list will be throwing at you.
    Excellent. That is pretty much what I would use.

Lots of AP4 goodness and strong emphasis on assault.

A Tornado once cleaned out an entire flank by itself.

I also had good success using whirlwinds. They don't need LOS (so don't care about the stealth suits) and have an AP4 weapon.
    Shut up and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landspeeder Tornados for tend to be 'feast of famine'. Either they swoop down a flank and tear everything to shreds or they get targetted by everything in range and get blown up.

Assault squads are good, drop podded dreads with heavy flamers can be nice. Bikers, especially scout bikers, could be good as well.
    May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whirlwinds would do a nice job on those FW.

Assault squads can run down and destroy those suits.

A lascannon in 5-6 man tac squads will work against those hammerheads.

Take as few vehicles as possible unless you can keep them hidden and use indirect fire (like WWs). Transports and landspeeders won't last past turn 2, bikes will survive longer than speeders.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are using a guard or space marine army, you need something that can soak up a lot of you enemy firepower whilst giving it out aswell. These can be venerable dreads, landraiders, landspeeders (if they move far the enemy hits on 6's) or terminators ar always a good bet. You also need a flanking unit, atleast one, and a few long range shooty units, as Lamenter said Whirlwinds or scout squads are useful. For guard, Heavily armoured tanks are good, as units like Stormtroopers tend to get shot up. Even guardsmen are better in combat than tau, so get your normal platoons in there!

Hope this is useful, DE.
    "The anatomy of your brain is more than your mind can handle. What?"

Current Armies

Vampire Counts - 3500 Points

Orcs And Goblins - 2000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeagle8k View Post
    [...]
    you need something that can soak up a lot of you enemy firepower whilst giving it out aswell. These can be venerable dreads, landraiders,
    [...]
    you will find that a venerable dread and even a Landraider won't usually last too long against Tau. There are simply too many S10 weapons around.

Trying to soak up damage and going the attrition way is not the thing to do against Tau. With their basic weapon having a longer range and a higher strength than yours.

You want to go in as quickly as you can and as close as you can, ideally HTH. you will find that Powerfists work quite well, too.
    Shut up and play.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lamenter View Post
    you will find that a venerable dread and even a Landraider won't usually last too long against Tau. There are simply too many S10 weapons around.
    Very true. In fact, if there were a single army that I would recommend against taking both of the aforementioned, it would be when fighting Tau. Eldar (both kinds) have that sort of effect on Land Raiders, but Tau have it without altering the vehicle's AV, and in a higher abundance (Broadsides come to mind). With two Hammerheads, I recommend against nearly any vehicles besides Land Speeders, as they're cheap and if they are taken down, it won't crush your army.

A quick aside for your Scouts, if you choose to take them - make sure to keep them in cover, as the Railgun's submunition round will make quick work of them without a cover save. Keep that in mind - the Hammerhead is equally as good at anti-infantry as it is at anti-tank, so don't think just because you have few/no tanks, you're safe from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Better to just give your Tau friend 250 victory points at the start of the game then take a Land Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    A quick aside for your Scouts, if you choose to take them - make sure to keep them in cover, as the Railgun's submunition round will make quick work of them without a cover save. Keep that in mind - the Hammerhead is equally as good at anti-infantry as it is at anti-tank, so don't think just because you have few/no tanks, you're safe from it.
    THAT is really good advice. It is easy to forget about that damn blast round, until you have one shoved up your....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeagle8k View Post
    if you are using a guard or space marine army, you need something that can soak up a lot of you enemy firepower whilst giving it out aswell. These can be venerable dreads, landraiders, landspeeders (if they move far the enemy hits on 6's) or terminators ar always a good bet. You also need a flanking unit, atleast one, and a few long range shooty units, as Lamenter said Whirlwinds or scout squads are useful. For guard, Heavily armoured tanks are good, as units like Stormtroopers tend to get shot up. Even guardsmen are better in combat than tau, so get your normal platoons in there!

Hope this is useful, DE.
    Land Raiders against Tau?
    Land Speeders are good because they're only hit on a 6+ in combat?
    Armour at all against them with IG?

Ok...

Also bear in mind that Markerlights can be used to reduce your cover save, a trio of Markerlight hits on the Scouts would have them hit on a 2+ and only get a 6+ cover save (presuming they started with a 4+) from a Submunition.

I would strongly recomend Bikers. 5 With a Veteran Sergeant with Powerfist, 2 Meltaguns and an Attack Bike with heavy Bolter can weather some shooting, and with turbo boost have covered 42" by a second turn Assault, very useful for catching elusive and anoying crisis suits. They can then go into combat with Fire Warriors, try and melta tanks etc.

Either that or Drop Pods, landing within 12" of Tau and getting the first shot completely removes their long range advantage. Even if they kill most of you a handfull of Marines can crush a unit of Fire Warriors.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast