Librarium Online Forums banner

A Day at the Job

656 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Lord Yossanrion 
#1 ·
What range of campaigns and missions do Inquisitors take on?

I'm sure that they don't always lead a large force into battle, I'm just looking for hooks to use to write fluff for my Inquisitor Samantha Valerio (a little bit of background fluff here, if your interested)

Just how much is an Inquisitor expected to do? And what would probably be the larges force that an Inquisitor would lead?

#4 ·
As something different I dug out my old, old Space Marines and built an Inducted force around an Inquisitor. To give it a good flavor the army did include a small force of Repentias and some Penitent Engines. It was fun to play! :)

#5 ·
Inquisitors are people who are given missions from the higher ordo council (A council of Inquisitor Lords of a particular ordos...may it be Hereticuis, Xenos or Malleus)

An Inquisitor may have many methods of doing these tasks. Some like the rough and tough method of Inducting entire armies of a local planet or use their own personal armies (May even own his own space vessle) and just pound in on his quarry with no heed to Innocent lives. Others choose a more secretive method of blending in with communities and go about their business while obeying local laws with a special band of trusted collegues, these guys can reveal their authority to the local forces if they ever get hassled.

Anyways....mission wise. It is typical for an Inquisitor to be issued missions like hunting down an Individual who's in legue with chaos, a traitor with valuable information (Secrets of the Imperium for example) or they could be assigned to find certain items and artifacts. It is rare that an Inquisitor will be called on to deal with campaigns as this is the job for the regular armies.....but they do on the occasion if there is certain hidden interests involved.....such interests may be the reasons mentioned above in addition to certain secret research than the ordos may be handling that cannot fall to enemy hands.

Dan Abnett writes some very good novels on this particular subject...you may be familiar with the Eisenhorn Trilogy or the Ravenor books. These are very good stories to go into if you're interested on the subject.

#6 ·
Inquisitors aren't actually assigned missions by their superiors, as an Inquisitor has no superiors. There is no one between any Inquisitor and the Emperor himself. An Inquisitor Lord is not an Inquisitor who has authority over other Inquisitors but one who is acclaimed for their great experience and prestige, a 'big man' among Inquisitors. Inquisitors take on cases according to their own inclinations, interests and concerns. No one, not even a High Lord of Terra, can actually order an Inquisitor to do anything. Inquisitors operate outside the law as complete independents who can do anything and everything that they deem necessary to safeguard humanity.

#7 ·
Well, a typical 'Inquisition' would follow this format, more or less:

1. The problem is noted. Inquisitor Valerio receives a disturbing report, notices something is missing or wrong, finds a strange artifact, has an agent go missing...something that makes her start looking. No battles, but may be related to the aftermath of a battle; for example, the IG deserter was throwing lighting from his fingers when he was tracked down.

2. Reconnaissance. Valerio sends out small strike teams, gathers intelligence, and researches the extent of the problem. Battles could be fought over rescuing a friendly spy, defending a library that contains important documents, 'extracting' an enemy for interrogation or, if Valerio isn't careful, to preemptive strikes by the enemy before she learns too much.

3a. Both sides are aware of each other. The gathered information is acted upon, people start vanishing, the enemy is isolated. Battles could take the form of raiding safe houses, pursuing quarantine violators, suppressing riots, and causing/preventing sabotage.

3b Environmental factors. The Genestealers have already started a civil war, the Tzzentch cult is putting pressure on the planetary governor, the indigenous life is hostile, Valerio needs to earn some favors, some third party tries to take advantage of the situation. These events aren't directly related to the Inquisition but must be taken into account. Battles could be anything, against anybody.

4. The purge. Good potential for big battles as Valerio exterminates the enemy to the last organism; the enemy is desperate and will do what it takes to escape or take revenge.

5. Resolution. Followup to make sure the enemy is completely gone. Battles could be anything from killing off loyal but tainted Guardsmen to (if #4 went badly) Exterminatus. Possible unintended consequences from #3b. Perhaps something is found that leads Valerio to her next target?

Hope this gives you some storytelling ideas.

#8 ·
From what I read of the fluff, Inquisitors do everything from the 'Black Hawk Down'-style vicious skirmishs that we know and love from typical 40k, to 'Law & Order' style police-work (without warrents, or civil liberties). Or whatever the police-prodedural dramas they have where you are in real-space.

Or Bourne Identity, James Bond type of stuff - behind the scenes but vicious.

#9 ·
What range of campaigns and missions do Inquisitors take on?

I'm sure that they don't always lead a large force into battle, I'm just looking for hooks to use to write fluff for my Inquisitor Samantha Valerio (a little bit of background fluff here, if your interested)

Just how much is an Inquisitor expected to do? And what would probably be the larges force that an Inquisitor would lead?
Well... that depends.

The Inqusitor will pretty much do anything to accomplish his goal. So I'd say pretty much any mission or campaign, bar anything that the DA are involved in (Fallen anyone?), and anything that other Ordos don't want them involved in. And that leads to trouble.

Some =][= (more so DH ones) would lead forces into battle, but WH aren't so inclined too. I'm guessing the size of the force that the =][= leads could be proportional to his/hers rank. i.e. Inquisitor X leads an IG regiment, High Inqusitor Lord Y leads an IG campaign. That is most likely out of proportion, but you know. In my impression, WH =][= tend to lead small bands of deovted followers, taking out specific targets, and not many big battles. When they do battle though, I'd guess anything the =][= deams appropriate/is able to use stealthily/is able to trust.

An Inqusitor is expected to do anything to do their job. Which is... anything they deem nessacary, I guess. More specifically, infiltrating traitors, and exposing them would be a large part, as well as screening/puring Imperial organisations.

Well, the largest force... I know DH =][= Cortez had a retunie of 1000's... so I'm guessing as large as they want. Though pratically, I'd say no more than about 500 (?) under the =][=
's personal control. Other wise he might be attached to a force, and be the nominal head.

Hope that helps. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.