GK's & drop pods - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK's & drop pods

Allright, i've done a thorough search through the forum and haven't been able to find something that answers my question so hopefully you guys will be able to help.

As i haven't played for about 4 years and recently got back into things, i did not realise drop pods were so readily available for use. What i'm wondering is can a DH army use drop pods, and if not...a nice and detailed explanation as to why not.

So far i've been informed that they can't, but i'd like some reasoning behind it.

(by DH i mean basically pure GK)

Fear the awesome wrath of The ANZAC Clan!!!

Aussie Bogan: Beer Drinking, Steak Eating, Thong Wearing Maniac!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

The simplest reason as to why a grey knight army cannot use drop pods is that under the transport option for grey knights, drop pods are not mentioned at all.

The same reason that grey knigts can't take rhinos.

The same reason they can't take chimeras

Grey Knights don't have transport options (Unless they climb in a land raider)
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Is there any reason fluffwise why grey knights couldn't use drop pods when pretty much all the other space marine chapters can?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly what Tenozuma said :yes:
    Fear the awesome wrath of The ANZAC Clan!!!

Aussie Bogan: Beer Drinking, Steak Eating, Thong Wearing Maniac!

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

207 (x5)

Flufwise it might simply be that GK's never opperate in the same kind of numbers or for the same purposes as the rest of the marine chapters. GK's are dispersed all over the galaxy in small forces for rapid response to Chaos incursions. Marines are more general purpose and most chapters operate in larger numbers than GK's for the purposes of attack, defending, or taking entire planets.

You have to think of the required support associated with a drop pod assault. I imagen it would take a large class of ship to house and launch drop pods. Large vessels mean screening and support vessels, which basically means an armada of sorts. This is fine for marines as when they show up it is typically in a large force to do something on a large scale.

GK's are elite and operate in much much smaller numbers. Their purpose is to get to a hot spot fast and either burn it out or failing that to declare Purgatus on a planet. GK's would more likely operate on individual small and fast ships. With their small numbers and small ships it seems more convienient to have a teleport room that can zip off a company of GK's to the stronghold of an enemy. (Course thats entirely based on a really really big hill of pure conjecture, others probably know the exact fluff reason why GK's teleport rather than drop pod)

An interesting side note is that GK's only attack where Chaos shows a strong presence. Thus they only teleport where there are strong disturbances in the warp...and since teleportation and Faster-Than-Light travel in the 40K universe all happen in the Immaterium (Warp) you have to wonder at the wisdom of using teleportation in an area where its medium is in extream disturbance. You would almost think GK's would have the opposite doctrine and use ONLY drop pods to make their attacks since the warp really cant mess with a drop pod on its way down to a planet. You would also think that the ideal GK recruit would be no kind of pyscher at all, but rather something closer to the Culexus Assasin which is a being which has absolutely no presence at all in the warp. So i guess at the end of this post I have no answer for you at all, merely more points to ponder, but since I wrote this post and dont feel like wasting my time by deleting this I will add to your questions my own.

Qestion 1.
    Why do GK use teleportation as their main fast attack method when it is so vulnerable to the warp and chaos?

Question 2.
    Why are GK's psychers, a very vulnerable thing to be around chaos and the warp (yes i know all the training and no GK has ever fallen to the warp ect ect). But wouldn't it be easier if the GK's were beings with absolutely no presence in the warp at all and thus had no vulnerability to chaos possesion in the first place?
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Nice one UB, that works for me. I remember the days when GKs were so powerful (1250 points for five and all five were level four psykers) and they could teleport themselves using their psychic powers anywhere they wanted, and were totally immune to psychic interference by warp entities. I think GW have conveniently forgotten these abilities and tried to simplify the new GKs, but have neglected to specify how tasty these boys are fluffwise now.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

It's probably because GW is altering/ignoring fluff to match the new game abilities of the army.
    When they update the army's codex old fluff is left behind.

They really need one of those neuralisers from Men in Black...*flash*...

"Grey Knight models have always looked like this, they could never teleport themselves using psi powers...ignore all fluff inconsistancies this may cause...these have always been our prices...these are not the droids you are looking for."
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

lol, "these have always been our prices, these are not the droids your looking for" :lol:

made me laugh out loud.

But I suppose thats what comes when you get your new codex, we all know plenty of things in just about all the armies do not match the fluff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

40K is fun for what is it, but rules and fluff like this which have been forgotten, really make me want them to release 40K advanced or something and bring back some of the complexity.
    The dumbing down of psychology has really taken a massive amount away from the greyknights.

With regards to drop pods, don't you need a battle barge to do things like that? I thought that for the sake of speed, the ordo malleus didn't use battle barges but much faster ships...
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    With regards to drop pods, don't you need a battle barge to do things like that? I thought that for the sake of speed, the ordo malleus didn't use battle barges but much faster ships...
    Both Battle Barges and Strike Cruisers (the smaller SM ships) can launch Drop Pods. GK don't have any Barges, but they DO use some Strike Cruisers to get around. So you'd think that we could use Pods, right?

Well, most of their actions are on a small scale (fluff-wise). So like Bonzai said, they use fast tactics in small actions. More often that not they don't even use Strike Cruisers - they're large enough to transport an entire company of SM, and the GK never take to the field in numbers like that. Instead, they use small picket vessels (for those of you familiar with BFG, think Rapid Strike Vehicles). These do NOT have the capability for Drop Pods. And it'd be a waste if they did - fluffwise, GK operate in groups no bigger than a few squads. Hence the Teleport Attack.

Honestly, part of the reason GW doesn't give them Pods is because GK have *never* used Pods. They've always been Teleporters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast