Librarium Online Forums banner

SM Tanks

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  magnet_man 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im just wondering... You could modify a rhino, magnatize i should say into other tanks such as the razorback, pred(s) and whirlwind. right? By what i mean is that you could change the turrets and main gun around.

Thanks, Tim

#4 ·
And of course the Land Raider is quite different.

I would recommend buying a predator and then picking up the razorback sprue by itself. This will get you 90% of the parts (don't have a predator so I don't know if anything else is missing). Also, if you want to make an LRC go to a LR you can. In a preivous thread I posted pics on how I did that.

#5 ·
That is correct.

i have done that consistently, All my rhino chassis' are able to be converted into any type with no exception (safe for a vindicator). I even placed magnets for the options like smoke launchers and such.

What i did was buy a predator and an extra sprue to ba able make the second set of weapons.
I need Rhino, i go for a razorback, as it can be made from that set for free.
I also got me extra sprues for razorbacks for that same reason.

For my landraider i got me a LRC type and got an extra sprue for the lascannon sponsons,
Costed me 70euro ( 60 for the raider, 10 for the sprue and a very small extra on magnets) opposed to 110 for both the landriaders.

For a whirlwind, you only need one sprue, no real need to buy a box.

If you examin the models a bit you can easely find out what you need for the conversion.

A few strong magnets (rare earth types are strongly advised) some metal spacers, a small drillbit and some superglue and you can start.

@magnet_man. The predator box holds everything you need to make a rhino out of it. Or a razorback if you have the sprue. It however has the same problem as with a razorback; there is only one suspension part for the sidesponsons available. so or you make the guns exchangable, or you get a second sprue for a second turret and sponsons.

#6 ·
@magnet_man. The predator box holds everything you need to make a rhino out of it. Or a razorback if you have the sprue. It however has the same problem as with a razorback; there is only one suspension part for the sidesponsons available. so or you make the guns exchangable, or you get a second sprue for a second turret and sponsons.
Thanks for the tip. This is going to be one of my projects soon. I have a rhino/razorback that I did up recently. I used the website Battlewagon Bits to get the missing pieces to swap out the Lascannon and HB turret (unfortunately it's a US site). So I imagine they'll also have the necessary bits to finish up the other models.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I believe if you just buy a predator you can make it into a rhino easily. The rhino bits are a subset of the predator. What I do when starting a project like this is look at the gamesworkshop website. They show the parts list for the majority of their models and you can see which sprues go with what model.

For example here is the Predator Parts list:
Predator Parts Link
Hatch Sprue Land Raider Sprue C
Space Marine Rhino Hull 1
Space Marine Rhino Hull 2
Space Marine Predator Turret Sprue
Space Marine Predator Sponsons Sprue

Rhino Parts Link
Hatch Sprue Land Raider Sprue C
Space Marine Rhino Hull 1
Space Marine Rhino Hull 2

As you can see the rhino is contained within the predator. A similar comparison with the whirlwind shows that there is only one extra sprue to make a rhino into a whirlwind and it costs $12 US to buy it straight from GW.

EDIT: One thing to note is that while two different upgrades maybe offered on the same sprue (i.e. Razorbacks TLLC and TLHB) there will generally be only enough parts to mount one of the upgrades. In the Razorback case there's a pivot mount bit that's missing. This where you need to find a bits store so you can assemble both parts and have them swappable.

#12 ·
Alright, I was looking through the bits needed for a Predator. To make the predator convertable between the Autocannon and TLLC turrets will require a bit of work and purchasing extra bits. The easiest thing to by the looks of it is to go ahead and purchase the Space Marine Predator Turret Sprue from GW along with the Predator box set. The bits site I go to has the individual components needed to make the different turrets, but all the parts together costs the same as a single sprue from GW. Perhaps someone who has experience with the Predator can tell you how to make the turrets convertible without purchasing extra bits.

To make the sponsons swappable between the Heavy Bolters and the Lascannon will require the purchasing of these bits:
Weapons Mount Sponson Bits 40k Predator
and then I recommend you look at a post I made a couple months ago about making the sponsons on my land raider swappable: Link

The whirlwind turret bits look pretty simple to swap. Looks like it just fits into the collar on the rhino top piece. You can either purchase the sprue from the bits site above (Link) or directly from GW. Since GW charges so much for shipping, it might actually be cheaper to buy the sprue at the slightly more expensive bits site and you end up saving money from shipping (or just order from GW if you're lucky like me and you have a game store near by that has free shipping on bits).

Now I'm not sure if you want to make this also convertible into a Razorback. If you do all you have to do is get the sprue Space Marine Razorback Turret Sprue and then buy these bits.

I know that's a lot of information, so take a peak everything, try to figure out how you would approach each conversion individually and then feel free to post any questions or PM if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.