Assaulting Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assaulting Tyranids

I'll be going against a couple tyranid players soon and I need some advice.

Here's a quick look at what I'm fielding. I don't have a clue what they have yet. This is a 'take on everyone' list so no changes will be made.

Chaplain
    2 dreads, AC, HF, w/drop pods
    2 assault squads
    2 Drop pod squads with 2 meltas each
    2 tacs with plasma cannon and plasma gun
    2 tacs with lascannon and plasma gun
    2 whirlwinds

So my question is, what should be the role of the assault squads?
    Who should I aim them at?
    I don't think trying to assault genestealers is a good idea, but maybe go after warriors since the probably have the same int.
    Biovores, zanthropes, and lictors would make pretty good targets, right? TMCs are out of the question.
    Maybe I'll hold them back a little and use them as a clean up crew.

I know how to handle them with my Tau, but I'm still a noob with my SM list against Tyranids.

Any and all comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Otsego View Post
    I'll be going against a couple tyranid players soon and I need some advice.

Here's a quick look at what I'm fielding. I don't have a clue what they have yet. This is a 'take on everyone' list so no changes will be made.

Chaplain
    2 dreads, AC, HF, w/drop pods
    2 assault squads
    2 Drop pod squads with 2 meltas each
    2 tacs with plasma cannon and plasma gun
    2 tacs with lascannon and plasma gun
    2 whirlwinds

So my question is, what should be the role of the assault squads?
    Who should I aim them at?
    I don't think trying to assault genestealers is a good idea, but maybe go after warriors since the probably have the same int.
    Biovores, zanthropes, and lictors would make pretty good targets, right? TMCs are out of the question.
    Maybe I'll hold them back a little and use them as a clean up crew.

I know how to handle them with my Tau, but I'm still a noob with my SM list against Tyranids.

Any and all comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks.
    Well, if you're not into changing your list, you're in for a rough ride. Drop Pods aren't really the best against Tyranids, since you usually want your guns on the battlefield from turn 1 onward, so you can start cutting them down as they come.

However, landing behind the advancing swarm and shooting them in the back has its advantages. Firstly, say you land turn 2. The Tyranid player has a choice. He can either turn some of his units around to deal with your recently arrived units, or he can ignore them and take a bunch of shots in the back.

The Assault squads, though... probably best used for counter-charging once the 'Nids reach your gunline. If they're lead by a Chaplain, they should have an easy time carving up the smaller Tyranids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Drop Pods arent all bad, foot slogging you get off a single volley at over 12" before being gaunt assaulted. Drop Pods at least ensure a turn of rapid fire.

Assault Marines can do well against Warriors, though 3 shooty warriors are a bit of a waste of a charge and Genestealers are to be avoided. Counter charging the small Gaunts can have impressive results especialy with Furious Charge.

If you've got a Chaplain and you're facing a fairly weak MC it can be worth a charge. A Chaplain led Powerfist will net you 3 Hits on the charge, add a couple of Plasma Pistols and 6 Power Sword attacks and you can take a HT with the loss of 2 men easily.

Nasty 300pt Carnifices with thier multiple attacks, T7 and others are really to be avoided unless wounded. Plasma Pistols for the odd wound are a godsend.

If your Dreads can Genesteler Hunt, the Whirlwinfs thin out the ga(u)nts and the deep strikers respond to melta gun HT's or Bolter Gaunts and your shooty Tacs pot the odd wound off an MC then your Assault Marines will have a wealth of achievable targets.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

If the assault squads you are fielding have flamers you can easily wipe out entire broods ina one turn.

I even do this against genestealers since the two flamers can possible kill the majority of them (even when they have those annoying 4+ saves) After that you can probably mop up the remains of the genestealers with the assault but if you can, try to have a small tactical squad to clean up the mess with their bolters.

Monstrous carnifexes are overated against a chaplain+assault squad. Assuming you tooled out the chaplain (mine has lightning claws and all)....you can easily deal 2-3 wounds on a charge if the reroll to wounds favor you. And furious charge means your assault marines wound on 5. This will work on hive tyrants also but you will probably lose some marines due to his high initiative. (shooting the tyrant first is obvious...don;t want to have it survive the assault phase)

Last thing....if you consider adding infiltrate to your tactical squads (not really changing your list) a rapid-fire bolter squad can easily rip most nid units apart.

(careful deployment though....close enough so you can move and doubletap 12 inches but not close enough to be assaulted by the hormagaunt *tricky, usually depends on terrain)....try to get second turn if you do this so he takes a turn to move closer.)
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop pods are actually really good. They draw fire and troops (sometimes) away from your main force, and, because the tyranids have to stick together (mostly) because of synapses, this is a real b***h...

In laymans terms: It hurt their heads...:tongue:

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i think your list is pretty solid, you start off with the units on the table at turn one, the nids start charging towards the hail of bullets, loosing hopefully a bit.

Turn two comes along and all the sudden they're being shot at from both sides (once again hopefully) you should have gained the inititive and can wipe them up.

your assault squads??? probably use them to take out gaunts while your other units firepower takes on the more dangerous thing (stealers and MC's)

Just remember one thing that always works well for SM against nids "concentrated firepower" (actually come to think of it, that just works for marines period.)

Thats my two cents.:wacko:

SON'S OF TERRA......... Your defeat, its the emperor's will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Talonis View Post
    Personally i think your list is pretty solid, you start off with the units on the table at turn one, the nids start charging towards the hail of bullets, loosing hopefully a bit.

Turn two comes along and all the sudden they're being shot at from both sides (once again hopefully) you should have gained the inititive and can wipe them up.

your assault squads??? probably use them to take out gaunts while your other units firepower takes on the more dangerous thing (stealers and MC's)

Just remember one thing that always works well for SM against nids "concentrated firepower" (actually come to think of it, that just works for marines period.)

Thats my two cents.:wacko:
    Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, that's the idea of how it should go, in a perfect world anyway. I figure the dreads can go stealer hunting since they will negate any save they get with their assault cannons and heavy flamers. The fire line will target big stuff. The WW will drop mines in front of his main force. By the time the pods come in they will be on the mine fields and having to make a tough decision.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm starting to get a clearer picture of how it should work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Otsego View Post
    Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, that's the idea of how it should go, in a perfect world anyway. I figure the dreads can go stealer hunting since they will negate any save they get with their assault cannons and heavy flamers. The fire line will target big stuff. The WW will drop mines in front of his main force. By the time the pods come in they will be on the mine fields and having to make a tough decision.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm starting to get a clearer picture of how it should work.
    To be honest, I can't see mines helping you all that much... They're only triggered on a 4+ after all, and even the 'lil 'Nids will get to take a save against them. Maybe you'll find Vengence Missiles to be better?

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

I agree, Vengeance missles pay off instantly. And besides....if the genestealer brood is coming and you don;t roll a scatter they pretty much all die. But oh NO! You picked mines! They are now getting taking an S6 hit with a save! instead of taking an S5 with none.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr_the_AzureWind View Post
    I agree, Vengeance missles pay off instantly. And besides....if the genestealer brood is coming and you don;t roll a scatter they pretty much all die. But oh NO! You picked mines! They are now getting taking an S6 hit with a save! instead of taking an S5 with none.
    Unless they have extended carapa..thingie

Point taken though, I might make the switch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast