New to Space Marine, What should I buy?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Space Marine, What should I buy??

Hey Everyone,
    I am new to 40k and want to start a space marine army. I have the codex and rule book. I will probably buy the space marine megaforce to strat with. What else is good to have?? I am going to start my own chapter and am still working the details, but I want to use the two traits No mercy, No respite and trust your battle-brother. Any input on how to make a chapter and what to start buying will help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, we need to know what style of play you like. Do you want lots of shooting, lots of assault, a mix of both? Fast, lightning blitzes, or a stationary wall of death? Do you want a lot of basic troops, or just a few elite killing machines?

If you tell us what kind of army style you would like to have, then we can give you some help on what army to buy! :yes:
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Id buy another Assault Squad (allowing you to field a unit of 10) and another combat squad (again, another unit of 10) Fielding a 5-man Assault Squad is a bad idea, and mounting a measly five Space Marines in a Razorback is kinda pointless. I think you can reconfigure the Razorback to a Rhino pretty easily and quickly. Though many players here dont like either a Razorback or a Rhino. Other than that, though, Jakester is very much correct, its all about style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow701 View Post
    Well, Id buy another Assault Squad (allowing you to field a unit of 10) and another combat squad (again, another unit of 10) Fielding a 5-man Assault Squad is a bad idea, and mounting a measly five Space Marines in a Razorback is kinda pointless.
    In addition for a balanced list, bitz order parts to make the razorback into a predator or a whirlwind. A drop pod from forgeworld or scratch built is ideal for a dreadnought if you have the resources and how you configure it. Finally 1 or 2 landspeeder tornados are versatile and are used in many space marine armies.

Now if you want to specialize in a certain field than the megaforce may not be the best purchase for you.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like a more aggressive army with a little bit of shooting. This is what I will have in a month or so. 15 tactical marines, scout sqaud with sniper, 2 assault squads, command squad, commander, chaplain with termaniator armour, razoback, pedator tank, and a dreadnought . So, what should I use from this and what else should I buy??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like a more aggressive army with a little bit of shooting. This is what I will have in a month or so. 15 tactical marines, scout sqaud with sniper, 2 assault squads, command squad, commander, chaplain with termaniator armour, razoback, pedator tank, and a dreadnought . So, what should I use from this and what else should I buy??

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I wouldnt buy the mega force.

Go to ebay, and buy an army of space marines, youll get a much better price.

After that, buy only what you need.

I suggest a chaplain with jump pack, 10 man assault squad with 2 plasma pistols and 10 assault marines, 8 man dev squad 4 Missile launchers, 2 six man lascannon/plasma gun squads. 1 LST, with assault cannon + HB. This is about 1000 points i think.

And a solid core force, for just about any space marine army.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    I wouldnt buy the mega force.

Go to ebay, and buy an army of space marines, youll get a much better price.

After that, buy only what you need.

I suggest a chaplain with jump pack, 10 man assault squad with 2 plasma pistols and 10 assault marines, 8 man dev squad 4 Missile launchers, 2 six man lascannon/plasma gun squads. 1 LST, with assault cannon + HB. This is about 1000 points i think.

And a solid core force, for just about any space marine army.
    Anybody order some VANILLA :shifty: around here :w00t:
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Boring but effective.
    Can't deny that it's effective...

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Ok, rather then tell you what you should buy, I'll try to run through the various units, and their pluses, minus and any relevant things you should know, so you can make an intelligent decision on what to buy, and not waste money.

HQ's

Master / Captain. A good low-point HQ. In fact, the only low-point HQ SM's have. Best HQ unit for smaller games if you want a more rounded HQ. Also a good solid choice for a shooty force, as the extra leadership to everything is nice.

Chaplain. THE choice for an assaulty army no matter the point limit. He is more expensive then the Master, but because he comes with a power weapon an invul save, he is incredibly point efficient. Plus, you just can't go wrong with Litanies of Hate. But there are certainly way better choices for a shooty force.

Librarian. Excellent HQ choice for adding spice to your force, or against psychic armies like Eldar. However, he can quickly become a huge point sink. It can be tricky to keep him effective, while keeping him affordable. A really good choice for a shooty army that wants an assault element, or against MC's as his force weapon will make short work of them.

General. If using terminators, the Librarian with a termie command squad is probably the best if using the Assault Cannon. Chaplin is the best if going with assault Termies, although you certainly don't need his extra CC punch, as they will rock pretty much anything they assault anyway.

ELITES:

Techmarine: His special ability is almost useless, but he can be tooled up to be a beast in CC. However I think most people agree that there are units that can do what he does, for less points.

Terminators: Assault Terminators can be difficult to use. It's usually best to avoid CC oriented units that only move 6", it is difficult to get them into combat without getting them shot to hell. And with their high point cost, most people agree that Termies of all kinds are only truly effective once you hit 1850 or even 2000 points. However, if you know the amount of ap2 or better weaponry your opponent will have on the field will be limited, then these guys can be game winners. Shooty Terminators, remembering the idea that they are awfully expensive for 1500 point games, rock with 2 assault cannons.

Dreadnoughts: There are 2 normal configs. The 'Hellfire' and 'Assault'. Hellfire Dreads have TLLC and ML. Make him venerable, give him Tank Hunter and have a decent vehicle that has a str 10 (with re-roll on a miss) and a str 9 weapon. But for the same points you can have a predator with more shots, and better armor. The Assault variant is Assault cannons and DCCW (dreadnought close combat weapon). Excellent configuration, but like the terminators, he moves slow, and with a limited range on his weapons, it can be easy for your opponent to limit the amount of targets he has. This config is best used with the Heavy Flamer and stuck in a Drop Pod.

Veterans: These guys can be good given a very specific battlefield role, however there is usually nothing they can do, that a tac squad cannot do for less points.

TROOPS:
    The Tac squad is the backbone of most SM lists. Lots of good ways to use them, in lots of different configurations.

Scouts: There are 4 configurations for scouts, I will deal with them all separately.
    1) Snipers. Good on paper, but most people agree that they rarely perform as well as they should. But can be good against MC's.
    2) Bolters. Personally I would rather have a tac squad, but a lot of people like scouts with bolters.
    3) Shotguns. If you crunch the numbers, these guys will always under perform compared with a unit with bp/ccw
    4) bp/ccw. The best config in my opinion. But make sure you can support them with other units.

FAST ATTACK:
    Assault troops: Great unit, but make sure you field them in numbers of 8 or 10. Anything less and your opponent will shoot them to uselessness before you reach his lines.

Bikes: Great unit, but expensive, and can be difficult to use effectively. It almost takes a list designed around them to really utilize them properly. But if done right, they can be a lot of fun, and very effective.

Attack Bikes: Same as above.

Scout Bikes: I have never used them, or seen a list that used them. There only real purpose is to get a first-turn charge, but they are not very effective in CC, so why?

Speeders: Excellent unit. One that you can use to great effect in almost any list, in both of its popular configurations. Assault Canon, Heavy Bolter, or Mult-Melta. Personally I like to add Heavy Flamers to my Multi-Meltas, it works really good for me, but it breaks a cardinal rule, which is 'don't mix battle field roles in one unit'

TRANSPORTS:

Rhino: or as it is commonly referred to: the rolling coffin. Some people can use it to great effect, other cannot. The biggest problem they have is it can be difficult in a SM list to have enough tanks to draw fire away from them. And Drop Pods are usually a much better choice.

Razorback: Same as above.

Drop Pods. The best transport option the SM's have in the opinion of most people (me included). A really fun unit to use, and one that gives you lots of tactical possibilities, but best used when you design a list around it, or used vary sparingly.

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Devastators. Excellent unit if used right. Tons of firepower, can soak tons of firepower and still be effective, but movement is very limited. Use the rule of thumb which is: one bolter marine for every heavy weapon marine. So you usually field these guys in units of 6 or 8, with 3 or 4 heavy weapons. Also, your best to leave Plasma Cannons and Lascannons to 5 or 6 man tac squads, as they are just too damn expensive in a Dev squad.

Predators: Great unit. Nice firepower. You can take lascannon sponsons for some extra AT firepower at the expense of movement, or take Heavy Bolter sponsons for good horde control.

Vindicator: Great unit if used correctly, however this unit will attract most, if not all, of your opponents firepower. So use it with this in mind. Vindicators are twice as tough to kill if you give them Power of the Machine Spirit, and since their weapon is ordinance, the poor BS of PotMS does not matter.

Whirlwind: Excellent unit. The only guess range unit the SM's have, and also their lest expensive HS choice. Keep it cheap, stick it behind some terrain, and don't move it. Not a great unit in all lists, but one that you can use effectively in quite a few.

Land Raider: In either of it's two configurations, they are just too damn expensive to use unless your playing games over 2000 points. If you take them with a bit unit inside (which is really the only reason to take one) then it's just too high of a percentage of your points at anything less then 2000. If it survives you will win, but if it is destroyed you will lose. But, it still something that you should pick up eventually, cause they look cool, and you will use it in big games, but there are certainly other things you should have first.

There you go. I hope that helps you make some sound decisions when deciding where to spend your money.

-Sinjin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast