Is It Worth Putting A PF on A 5 Man Scout Squad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is It Worth Putting A PF on A 5 Man Scout Squad?

Ok I'm in a dilema where i'm about to finish my last scout model, and i begin to ponder, should i buy more cc scouts or keep a 5 man cc scout squad with a powerfist. I play Blood Angels, and yes i know the tactics and all for a powerfist but is it a good idea for a small 5 man scout squad, or should i increase the size to a reasonable amount? Also is 8 man scout squad a good size?

Any thoughts or idea appreciated

-Sorrowsky

"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Well over all scouts arent that good.
    But it also depends on what army you are versing in order to choose what you want with them.

If you are versing a pretty good shooty army I would go with eight of them. Blood angels good at close combat is why I say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would go with more scouts. 5 is too small. if they infiltrate and are caught they could be wiped out in 1 turn of enemy shooting and that would waste the points sunk into the powerfist.
    Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Unless you have a good idea how to get them in CC as soon as possible, I wouldn't. Oh, and another note... what are you going to equip the other 4 guys with? I'd suggest at least give them a BP + CCW.. just saying :yes:

edit: Well, I don't know... a larger squad. Scouts get shot up quite easily anyway. So more scouts means more cannon fodder. But then again, it depends on what your opponent is playing. Against IG I think it'll be usefull, but MEQ or so... meh
    Last edited by Chaoschrist; November 22nd, 2006 at 05:46.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Your best bet is an 8 or 10 man squad. But 8 is typically what i field. However, a single scout squad isn't worth much. I would advise you take at least 2 squads of 8, each with powerfisted sgt. This allows you to get 16 models up close and personal, with some huge assault kick once you pull of a charge. Just start the scouts outside of LOS and 13 inches away. Then hope you roll 1s for the squads rage roll, and hope for a first turn charge. Anyway they have more uses then just a first turn charge, which is rare anyway. They distract the enemy and pull shots off your death company and assault squad which is extremely useful. They can also tie up squads that your assault marines/death company would ordinary need to wait on engaging, such as demon princes, or squads with no anti assault power, like devastators.

They work best when you have a lot of assault marines/death company. This divides your enemies fire power a lot. And allows the scouts time to tie up things. The best thing about them is the furious charge. They are pretty inexpensive for a unit with infiltrate and furious charge, in fact that a steal. Make sure you give them bolt pistols and ccws.

For more help, post an army list in the army list section.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; November 22nd, 2006 at 09:13.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I often, for one reason or another, find myself with a different opinion then Forged, but here we are in 100% agreement. In a general list, Scouts may not be the best choice. But with BA, especially if you are assault heavy, they rock. They are a serious CC threat, so if your opponent does not shoot them, they will rip up his softer squads. However, every shot he does put into them is one less shot going into DC and assault marines. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't for your opponent.

So used like this, you want them to look as scary as possible, so you absolutely want a Power Fisted sergeant, and unless you got really poor DC rolls, and REALLY need the power fist in your DC, I would say don't choose him as a member of the DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I personally like Scouts, they make for a great backup unit to your heavy hitting assaulters and can disrupt the enemy's lines fairly well on their own. Remember, they aren't terminators, so you have to use some skill to hide them from enemy fire. They work best for ==Me== in a counter assault role, but for BA they can infiltrate and form a two pronged attack with your speedy DC and other units.

8 Scouts is the minimum, I'd prefer 10, all with bp/ccw, frags, and a PF Vet. That's 27 S5 I5 attacks on the charge for BA, backed up by 4 PF attacks. That many attacks means death for any non-MEQ and causes serious pain to most MEQs.

Go scouts!
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

It often comes down to your likely opponnent. As an IG player I had a memorable game against a Scout-themed army, my Hellhounds were hilarious.

As for 5, it's too easy to get down to the Sgt. People will see the squad as an easy chance to kill off a very expensive, poorly protected Sgt.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:yes: I agree with silverwings. 5 is too small a squad and too tempting a target . You need 8 or 10 scouts to make this choice viable
    Lord Maxton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a word, NO. I'd max out the squad befor putting a Vet sarg and PF in the mix. IMHO all ways increase squad size before adding stuff.
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast