Infantry Only? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infantry Only?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Infantry Only?

Has any one made a solid infantry based army with no tanks in it whatsoever. That means running seraphim instead of dominion squads and retributor squads instead of tanks or penitent engines which i dont think are really worth it. Those that have run armies based on infantry only how well do they work? I thought about putting in an exorcist or two but infantry just seems better to me even if they dont move across the field at the speed of light. I can still throw in plenty of anti tank between retributor squads and other various units. I want to keep my army Pure Witch Hunters. So how well do they work?

Last edited by Pathofskulls; November 25th, 2006 at 00:01.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Yes I have for a laugh. If i remember correctly I made a 1500pts infantry army just because I couldn't be bothered to pack my tanks. So not a single armour in sight....not even exorcists. It had stuff like inquisitors and storm troopers along side Sisters of battle.

The army did quite well. The first few turns were bleak as can be expected, with purely bolters, flamers and meltaguns to get me through the fight I suffered a few casulties while charginf up the feild without a care in the world. You will probably find that with that number of power armour on the feild the opponent just won't have enough firepower to kill of sufficent numbers to stop you from doing you mid-short ranged shooting. (I wasted a few points on Retributors with half multi-meltas and heavy bolters just to fill out points)

Seraphim will save the day, as will jet pack Cannonesses (hehe A squad of drones deep striked right on top of my Cannonesses Head and wiped them all out...off topic but apparantly if this happens the squad troops deep stike onto are gunned down....thus the death...but my cannoness didn't even carry a pistol lol). The extra mobility will prove very useful in knocking out tanks and ambushing infantry squads as well as provide a constant threat your opponent has to think about while he tries to monuver his own troops away from ambushes that will probably lead to less fire directed at you foot troops.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

All footslogging - I've tried this too.

It works not too shabby, if I may say so. As Heiromyo said, the first few turns can really hurt, and demoralise you. However, if you get enough Sisters into range, you should have a nice time.

However, this army seems as if it could be very nastyly taken out by Mech Eldar, DE, or Mech Tau - the lack of manouvability is often a problem because its hard to get the melta's to the enemy tanks fast.

Try and use 20 strong sister squads, I've not tried it myself, but it seems it could work - the sheer amount of power armour and bolters is nasty. And you keep the special weapons nice and protected.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I wouldn't use squads as large as 20. You don't get a bulk buy discount on sisters, and squads that large would be difficult to manouevre and get all the bolters in range of an enemy. It may protect the special weapons but it would also mean that you have fewer of them. The small number of squads you could get would also reduce your faith point total. Overall I'd go for squads of perhaps 14 in an all footslogger army list.

Footslogger armies would I think do best against static or slow shooty armies, such as some marine and chaos marine armies, foot guard, foot eldar, Tyranid Godzilla lists, necrons. Any army featuring lots of 6" move troops relying on shooting over cc. I think it would fare badly as others have stated against fast armies, either in cc or shooting. Armies that are oriented to cc but slow-moving don't really exist, or at least not in the hands of any player with an ounce of sense.

+ Reply to Thread