Im a bit confused - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ealing in Middlesex in London in England in Uk in Europe in North H'sphere in World in U'verse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a bit confused

Hi

im thinking of starting a imperial guard combat patrol force which will eventually increase to 1000pts or more. Generally they will be fighting in cityfight instead of normal battlefields. i kind of like the idea of them being a lightly armoured urban force so im wondering

what to take
    what to not take
    useful doctrines for cityfight

and by the way are sentinals a good idea?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Well, for a city fighting force I recomend Light Infantry, as it will help you move around faster. Some other doctrines would be Close Order Drill, since your men will be packed into the tight streets anyways.

As for units, Stormtroopers, Rough Riders, Basilisks and Hellhounds are great. The stormtroopers give you some better firing power and better armour (Which helps when you get assaulted), plus they can infiltrate. The rough riders are there for Counter Charging. Close Combat is going to happen in city fight, whether you like it or not so it's good to keep something that can counter that close at hand. Basilisks are great because with all those buildings blocking LoS it's good to have something to batter the enemy with even when they aren't in view of the rest of your army. Laslty is the hellhound. The flamer on the hellhound ignores cover saves, so all that cover won't help against would be attakcers.

As for sentinels, they could be pretty good. Give them Heavy flamers and scout them ahead, or Deepstrike them with the Drop Troops Doctrine.They also make good counter charge units against enemies with S3 or lower.

Ealing in Middlesex in London in England in Uk in Europe in North H'sphere in World in U'verse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also there are tons of space marines at my Gw so is another good idea just to field loads of guardsmen as i will always be outclassed 1 on 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda101 View Post
    also there are tons of space marines at my Gw so is another good idea just to field loads of guardsmen as i will always be outclassed 1 on 1
    Depends what you mean by loads..

Personally, I think the strongest guard armies I've ever faced with my marines (admittedly chaos so a little different) are the ones with no tanks, few doctrines and massed infantry squads. It's just incredibly difficult for a smaller force to kill that many guys in the course of a battle.

An alternative marine fighting technique might be to load up as much as possible on the tanks.. A demolisher might be nice in cityfighting, and its gun will kill all kinds of marine units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take all infantry with cloakes. Over 150 guys in a 1500 point game with 3+ cover saves in ruins. Trying to chew through that is not easy.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    I take all infantry with cloakes. Over 150 guys in a 1500 point game with 3+ cover saves in ruins. Trying to chew through that is not easy.

A-men brother!

Cameolelene is the Cat's A** at City Fight.

A Hellhound or two is also loveley!!:wub:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORTARS! Everyone seems to forget about them. They are amazing, since they can fire over buildings, and cause pinning. Get 3-6 of them and just pound the enemy to bits! The only problem with mortars, is they cant really do anything against people inside a building. However, anyone caught out in the open can easily be smashed to pieces by them. Just stick them on the top floor of a tall building, put a couple guard squads on the lower floors to protect them, and you have a nice fire position (unless the enemy has some artillery :wacko: )
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

1.)
    Tanks- Hellhounds, Basilisks
    Infantry- Load up with Mortars and flamers (Flamers will be nice for overriding cover, but plasma guns might be better for marine killers)
    Special Units- A pair of Veteran Squads tooled up with Plasma Guns will own against Marines
    I'd take as little extra units as possible

2.) Anything with horrible long range. You don't need it.

3.) Camoline-3+ to 4+ saves would be a godsend for Gaurd
    Light Infantry- Being able to move quickly is awesome
    Special Weapons Squads- This may be the one time that having flamer squads will be good
    Iron Disicpline- Not running is always good
    Close Order Drill might work.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

+ Reply to Thread