Need Help with IG Drop Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with IG Drop Army

Hey Everyone. Ive been wanting to do a drop troop army for some time now. I have finally got the models that i wanted to represent my drop troops (CADIAN KASIRKIN). Now i just would like some help with a color scheme and army list. Below is a rough army list for my drop army.

-COMMAND SQUAD MOUNTED IN A VALKYRIE
    -2 SQUADS OF TROOPS EACH IN A VALKYRIE
    -2 VULTURES FOR HEAVY
    -AND 2 DROP SENTINELS W/ MULTI MELTAS

I would really appreciate it if i could get some help with this army list. All advice is welcomed and i need it. Tell me wht you think, i know it is only a rough outline but i hope it isnt to terrible. ALSO COULD USE SOME HELP WITH A COLOR SCHEME FOR DROP TROOPS!!!!!**
    Thank you for your time

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Well for starters I think the Valkarys can only carry Storm Troopers. Well I guess you will be doing a grenadier list then? I don’t know much about the Valkarys. Well if you want to use Cadain models just use the drop infantry Doctrine.
    As for your color scheme it depends on your fluff if they are normally deployed at night then you will want dark blues, grey or black. If they are dropping in the day you might want lighter colors based on the terrain you normally plan to fight on.
    That all I have for you sorry if it’s not what you want.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Well for starters I think the Valkarys can only carry Storm Troopers. Well I guess you will be doing a grenadier list then? I don’t know much about the Valkarys. Well if you want to use Cadain models just use the drop infantry Doctrine.
    As for your color scheme it depends on your fluff if they are normally deployed at night then you will want dark blues, grey or black. If they are dropping in the day you might want lighter colors based on the terrain you normally plan to fight on.
    That all I have for you sorry if it’s not what you want.
    Yes valkyries can only carry storm troopers, but I think he is playing Elysians because otherwise, only storm troopers can ride in a valkyrie.

You must have connections or something, having 3 valkyries, 2 vultures and multi melta elysian sentinels. That would up to what, $900 plus infantry cost. Could u post a pic of the elysian sentinel, I have never seen one, is it a simple cadian pattern with a switched weapon or what?
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; November 27th, 2006 at 01:58.

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow you are one loaded SOB man. Color Scheme wise it helps to have a good frame for what type of world you want them to be based from. I like the artic colors I've been using for my guard army, they are really simple and really effective. ( Space Wolf Grey flak armor, white pants, shadow gray cammo, over black, for the camo on the rank and file guardsmen. The Storm Troopers, were just space wolf gray carapace, with codex gray over black, for the cammo. Simple effective.) Since you have a bunch of flyer's I recommend looking at pictures of modern day planes, and attack helicopters to give you a general idea of how they should be painted. I would recommend grays and black, for a decent fit all color scheme. If your situating your regiment on a desert world or an artic world your going to want to adjust your colors accordingly of course.
    Cool army by the way, I wish i had the cash to play something like that it would be loads of fun.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

So happy to see that I am not the ony one. playing these guys

Color Sheme Wise: Me personally, I use color shemes from a video game called F.E.A.R. The ground teams have olive/green camo with white pads. Airborne teams have blue uniforms/dark blue armor/white pad colors. And lastly, the HQ and retinue members have DARK red uniforms/black armor/white respirator masks from forgeworld, and white pads.

Army List: I am against spending more then half of your available points on flyers. They are expensive, especially the valkyries with their cost almost the same as that of a standard russ. I would mostly focus on simply droping as many units into the battle using deepstrike as possible to save as many points as you can. If you are playing grenadiers, I would ONLY give the valkyries to the two troop grenadiers that you must have for the force organization chart. Every single other squad should probably be dropped in using deepstrike, since valkyries are too darn point expensive, and even though nothing will ever hit them if you play smart, they wont be killing enough to pay for themselves. Vultures are a whole different story since all they do is fly and shoot.

HQ
    Usually kept as cheap as possible, many equip theirs with master vox so every drop squad can function independently, however since you are playing grenadiers, Ld should be too much of a problem. If playing drop infantry platoons, then vox is probably the best choice
    Do not equip with heavy weapons if you plan to drop them in, they wont be able to fire the turn they arive, I suggest flamers/plasma guns, melta guns are too short ranged in my opinion to be used by such high ranking officials.
    I am also against HW teams since they cant fire the turn they deepstrike and considering the fact that you have sentinels and vultures to provide firesupport, I think it will be sufficient to keep you alive in battle.
    ELITE
    Storm trooprs deepstriking, best choice by far since you dont need to waste points on valkyries. These usually have great ability to deepstrike behind enemy line, and unload plasma/melta shots into the rear of your enemy's most precious vehicles and of course catch his men in a crossfire. Other then that, hardened veterans can proove extremely effective, especially since they can carry 3 special weapons and a sergeant who can have a plasma pistol. A full squad can fire 6 plasma gun shots and a plasma pistol at opponents 12" away using BS4, or melta guns for armor busting. Yet with 5+ armor they will fall casulaty to any AP5 standard rapid fire weapons unless equiped with carapace, which I actually use on my drop vets if I may add.
    TROOP
    I am guessing grenadiers, if I am not mistaken they can be given valkyries so fitting the 2 grenadier units into them is a good idea since they cant infiltrate or deepstrike. They can be equiped with pretty much any weapons since they wont have to roll for scatter, the only thing thats sometimes difficult is having the valkyrie survive the shooting phase before unloading troops in a certain location.
    FAST
    Sentinels can ONLY be droped by valkyries with fuel tank upgrades, so I would suggest simply deepstriking them or using them deployed since they get a free move that you can take advantage of. Instead of fuel tanks you can equip valkyries with some basic weapons which might come useful through out the battle. Other then sentinels, tarantulas can also be droped by valkyries with fuel tanks yet from what I read, you will not be using them. However with multimeltas, this will put you at a disadvantage since its range wont let you fire at the enemy without exposing yourself to danger, and elysian sentinels have normal sentinel armor which is fairly easily peneterated.
    HEAVY
    Vulture, gunship that provides heavy support. I suggest auto cannons over lascannons when facing opponents that dont rely too heavily on armor, dont forget you are immune to ordnance and barrage weapons when you are in the air.

The entire or most of your army is going to be arriving the second or the following turn, which puts you at both advantage and disadvantage. Its like a dark eldar WWP, it can either really help you or simply make you loose very quickly. It can hlp, since you can deepstrike units with good accuracy once the opponent moved, and even at better accuracy when your valkyries drop your grenadiers where ever you want. On the other hand, you have absolutely no idea which squads will come out of reserves so the entire game is pretty much one big guess. However once they do, the flyers will come back every turn on a roll of 2+ which is fairly good for making attack runs unless you are in VTOL mode, which puts you at a disadvantage against long ranged weapons which will be fired at you using normal fire's BS rather then hitting you on 6 during normal attack runs. And be very careful, the armor of a flyer is very thin and you dont want it to be your replacemnt of a russ in fire absorbing.

Flyer bombs dont truly inflict a whole lot of dmg, yet the pinning that the cause can be pretty useful if used correctly. Also bombs are fairly expensive, and in my opinion should only be used to bomb only the most dense of the infantry formations, they also lack AP value needed to penetrate power armor. Since the flyer can appear anywhere you wish on the battlefield, you will have a great advantage in snipping out enemy armor since the opponent can never know which side of the tank the attack will ocme from. On a normal basis, only guard, eldar and tau player will even have a chance to take down your flyers, and once you learn how to use them, they will bring nothing but benefit and glory to you, other then feeling special as no one around you possesses such a rare and expensive piece of equipment from UK...

Have fun
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; November 27th, 2006 at 05:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

ok if people have IA1, then any chimera can be replaced with a valkyrie.
    also vultures can be taken as HS
    Sentinels with MM are from IA3 which also contained elysians army list based on the 23rd but inthat case stormies are elites only, so unless this is IA4 detatchment 99 lists, which I dont have but again I think stormies are elites, then this list is codex IG with IA1 and 3 options

My Elysians:

Do a lot of damage, but in my experiance, carapace armour is rather a waste, and valkyries are a complete nonesense, they fit fluff but are too easy to take down.

Below is a tactica I wrote which should help:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...op-troops.html
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Yeah I'd advise giving a quick read over Cher's tactica. He's got some good points in there.

Some advice, if you're not doing a strictly Elysian list, and just doing a Guard list with doctrines and IA1, I say for elites, get 3 vet squads loaded out w/ either 3 melta or plasma and give them shotguns. Also give their sgt a plas pistol and power weapon/fist. Reason: these guys will be landing close and fairly quickly. You want maximum AP busting shots right away...heck you want max shots of anything right away. And since you'll be close, having the lasguns 24" range is pretty much nulled, so giving shotguns is better overall. Plus, with shotguns, you still maintain the ability to charge. So in the end if all your shooting doesn't kill/break the enemy, you'lve prolly weakened them enough that your guardsmen can finish the job with a charge.

Other than that, Cher's tactica covers A LOT and has plenty of good advice. Any other advice I can think of is covered in there so read it.
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

+ Reply to Thread