lil help figuring out what i should do - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lil help figuring out what i should do

I currently have the following but haven't painted any so i could still do a bit of modding to the models.

These are just the models i have currently.

HQs

1 Terminator Chaplain
    -Stormbolter and the mace thing

1 Grey Knight Terminator Captain
    -Force Weapon(or whatever they get) and Stormbolter

1 Space Marine Captain/Commander
    -Sword and Combi-Melta

Elites

5 Grey Knight Terminators
    -1 has the Flamerthing on it

5 Terminators
    -1 has sword/stormbolter, 2 have powerfist/stormbolter, 1 has powerfist/Assault cannon, 1 has stormbolter/powerfist and missiles uptop

1 Vern Dreadnaught
    Assault Cannon and the fist

Troops

10 Tactical Space Marines
    -Sarg with pistol/chainsword, 7 with bolters, 1 with flamer, 1 with rocket launcher

10 Inquisition StormTroopers
    -Sarg with sword and hellgun, 7 with hellguns, 1 with flamer, 1 with gernade launcher

10 Scouts
    -4 with sniper rifles, 2 with sword/bolt pistol, 1 with heavy bolter, 1 with rocket launcher, 1 with bolter, 1 with shotgun

Heavy Support

Vindicator

Whirlwind

I really dig all the Crusade and Inquistion stuff and would like to follow that path. I mean I already have the mix of stuff but i could definatly sell some stuff off. I am just looking for some tips on what direction i should go with this. I like a balance a few guys up front hacking people apart with smaller guys shooting in the back like the stormtroopers and scouts. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

From the looks of what you have, you don't have enough Grey Knights to justify allying them in the first place.

The IST's are crap in a SM list because they simply can't compare, either they're filler or a means to get a Chimera.

I'd focus on your Space Marines, develop a nice strong base for them. Then when you feel confident in the amount of stuff you have for them, then worry about allies.

GK stuff is expensive, but SM stuff is cheaper. So, I'd worry about them first. You need deep pockets to run Grey Knights.

I didn't even consider allies until I got to about 2000-2500 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would start by removing the flamers from the tactical squad and from the storm troopers since it wont get much flaming action. Secondly I'd drop the missile launcher from the space marines since it sounds like you want to be up front with these guys and you wouldnt get much shooting done then.

Most important of all; don't mix combat roles too much, looking at the scout models, you could get a 5 man sniper squad out of them, where one of the scouts has either Heavy Bolter or Missile Launcher. The other 4-5 scouts are pretty much useless with the configuration they have now. Decide what you want these other 5 scouts to be doing, if you want them to be fire support also, opt for bolters + Heavy Bolter / Missile Launcher (depending on which one you stuck in the sniper squad). Or if you want to be more assaulty with them you could go for 5 bolters, or with the regular 5 man BP/CCW setup. Decide what you want to do with these guys.

Apart from what Adrian said your body count is very low, and the army is very HQ/Elite/HS heavy. I'd try to get rid of 1-2 HQ choices and 1 Terminator squad and put in some more marines. And even though I love your tank choices, there isn't really anything in there that is anti-tank. Playing an army with the models you have would definetely pose a challenge since every wound you take is very pricy.

Good luck with painting, hope everything works out for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so should i just sell the IST? should I sell the GK or are they worth saving for later? get more SM and scouts to fill in the mess I have? What fast attack should i shoot for? do i need more just regular SM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I wouldn't sell my mini's, you never know when you could need them.

However the only thing I would get rid off right off the bat would probably be the terminator chaplain, I would prefer a jump-pack chaplain in an assault marine squad (your future Fast Attack perhaps).

I also wouldnt use a combi-melta on the commander either, I'd rather stick a stormbolter on him but if you can find a use for the melta go for it.

It's hard to tell you what to get rid off and what not to. However I can tell you that whatever you do or aim for you need another tactical squad. Either if you kit them both out to be shooty or assaulty.

That IST unit, if you could kit them out with just hellguns perhaps they could aid an assaulty tactical and both squads could be advancing while a shooty tactical and 5 man scout squad give fire support. (or if you get both tacticals to advance and drop the IST completely) I'm not familiar with storm troopers or their abilities though, neither with the requirements to be able to take allies.

I would recommend you to try to make an army list and post it in the forum so we get an idea of what you want your force to look like, how you want to play and so on. From the miniatures you have right now (+ that tactical) I think this would be a good starting base:

HQ:
    Commander - PW, Storm bolter

Elite:
    Dreadnought

Troops:
    10 Space Marines - plain bolter, power fist
    10 Space Marines - plain bolter, power fist
    5 Sniper Scouts - Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support:
    Whirlwind

At this point I think it would be far too expensive to throw in a terminator squad or the vindicator. For Fast Attack choice with this list I'd consider a Land Speeder with multimelta unless you feel like investing in a devastator squad with missile launchers for heavy support. Mainly because you need something to be able to take out tanks.

Try to make a list and post it, more people will probably help out then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Templar

Yea so I have been doing some studied and Black Templar seem to be pretty freaking awesome and exactly what i want to play. Big guys and little guys working together to wreck shop. I am definatly rolling BT now. I am currently in a finacial postition where i am need to sell some models to get more. I got 2 sets of tacticals coming in i am thinking about making 1 CloseCombat. I also fixed my models so that I have 5 CC/pistol scouts. I currently have my IST, GK, GK captain, and Whirlwind(because BT can't use it) on ebay because i just can't afford to be more of this plastic crap without selling some. I hate games workshop because they make me spend so much damn money on this addiction! I will slap that stormbolter on the commander. I will sell my term Chaplain and get a jumpy one as well as a jumpy squad and a dev squad (I hate Landspeeders) I am going to keep my Term Squad and probably make some of my new tactical Squad be CC and join them with the CC Neophytes. So here is a possible list, I probably wouldn't use all of this at once but what i am thinking i would have.

HQ

Jump Chaplain
    With the Jumpy troops

Commander
    Stormbolter now

Elites

5 Terminators

Vern Dreadnaught

Troops

30 Initiates
    10 Powerfist or CC/pistol

10 Neophytes
    half snipers/CC-pistol

Fast Attack

5 Jumpy Guys

Heavy Support

5 Dev
    Tank Killers

Vincicator

This is all the stuff I am keeping and planing on getting the dev, jumpy chaplain, jumpy squad, any other suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread