Help with tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with tactics

Hello all,

I'm having a few problems with my Daemonhunters, mainly against my housemate's Adeptus Arbites army.

His army is basically -

Inquisitor Lord - CC
    Daemonhunter Inquisitor (as allies) - Shooty build (2HB, Psycannon, Plasmacannon)
    4 Squads of inducted imperial guard with various hvy weapons
    2 Squads of arbites (ISTs) no transport.
    1 Immolator & a Dominion squad kitted out with flamers.
    1 Eversor Assassin
    2 Deathcult assassins.

Anyway. My army is a BC & Retinue, 2 squads of 10 grey knights, 2 IST squads in chimeras, 1 shooty inquisitor, and a dreadnought.

My problem is: At the start of the game, I have very few units around because of the deepstriking (this granted, though, I suppose.) But this leads to my inquisitor being shot to pieces and usually the dreadnought taken out on turn 1 unless I deploy it in cover. The chimeras usually get shot to pieces too, and the ISTs don't generally get far, either.

If I put lots of terrain around the board my units tend to last longer thanks to the cover, but my grey knights tend to hit the buildings instead.

Once my Grey Knights come down (assuming they don't hit troops/buildings and die) they tend to really hurt the enemy, but I'm often left without any firesupport and about half the time they die.

The best thing to say would be I need help in preserving what I have on the board in terms of tactics and maybe optional equipment. Am I doing something horribly wrong?

Thanks in advance.

p.s One quick question, in the ISTs, can 2 models take a special weapon (i.e 2 plasma guns) for 10pts, or is it 10pts per plasma gun = 20pts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Special weapons cost your per each weapon you take. So if you take two -- and with ISTs you should always take two -- you have to buy it twice. Your chimera squads should, if you build them at full squad strength with 2x plasma guns and with the normal kit on the chimeras, cost 213 pts.

You seem to have identified the problem yourself: too few targets on the board at the start of the game, and dangerous deep strikes because of heavy terrain. Therefore, you shouldn't insist on deep striking your FAGKs. Keep them Fast Attack, but deploy them on the board at the start of the game and march them around. Use the storm bolters to thin your opponent down.

Also, are you giving your GKs special weapons? That is generally not a good use of points, as you are making your GKs more expensive only to rob them of their +2S bonus and True Grit ... and usually an additional GK model you could have had, too. Keep them vanilla. You'll get more kills from the stormbolters and additional high-strength melee attacks.

How is your dread equipped? Based on your opponent, I'd hazard that you'll get the best performance out of an AC/DCCW dread (infantry suppression) or a PC/ML dread (low-T/low-Armour Save horde). I'd go for one of those builds if you're using something different.
    Last edited by number6; November 29th, 2006 at 14:22.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

howdy! um quick question, you pay per gun, 10 pts a pop

looks like your m8 has just got a nice match up against you, really. not unbeatable, but on the screen i'm looking at he has got the meat (guard), fire power (guard, immolator, dominion- ouch), inquisitors (sorta cancels out, you both got 'em...), and them darn IST with plasma (i use pure, pure GK and quite jelous IST get what i cant ) that are adaptable for anything in your army (dread, Power Armour GK, tanks etc).

you have PAGK, termies, dread, chimera's, the 'cancelled' shooty =I=...... and some IST's. lots 'a expensive models there. firepower yeah, but lose a chimera + squad n you will feel the lack of dice pretty heavily.

firstly, go cheap on your wargear. chop off everything, see what models you can fit into the list and then consider what wargear you *really* need- prob not much i imagine, excluding plasma for IST ect.

secondly, i always found deep strike a problem with daemonhunters. i dont use it- but then again i dont use termies either..... do what i do and go all out, deploy everything but termies, just that he outnumbers you in turn 1, and has sufficient capability to take you piecemeal (especiallt ur vehicles). i love doing this to ppl when i play guard, and your mate seems pretty static, so.....

go for a orbital bombardment, try disrupt the area where he sets up the guard 'batteries' with their heavy weapons- if you get them moving, they aren't firing- good news and a good start.

keep keep your vehicles hull down, hug cover. make him struggle with 'em and he'll either focus more at them or change to another target.

remember his assassins are seperate units- any of your units can target them with priority tests. shoot the eversor! you should know by now he's nasty, and explodes when he dies

i gtg, i'll post in morning. sorry Chief

edit: oh and tell us your points value... and do you have other mini's to use too? mabey will save us suggesting to do something you cant haha
    Last edited by jONESIE; November 29th, 2006 at 14:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by visible_noise View Post
    Hello all,

I'm having a few problems with my Daemonhunters, mainly against my housemate's Adeptus Arbites army.

His army is basically -

Inquisitor Lord - CC
    Daemonhunter Inquisitor (as allies) - Shooty build (2HB, Psycannon, Plasmacannon)
    4 Squads of inducted imperial guard with various hvy weapons
    2 Squads of arbites (ISTs) no transport.
    1 Immolator & a Dominion squad kitted out with flamers.
    1 Eversor Assassin
    2 Deathcult assassins.

Anyway. My army is a BC & Retinue, 2 squads of 10 grey knights, 2 IST squads in chimeras, 1 shooty inquisitor, and a dreadnought.

Give your shooty inquisitor auspex. that way whenever his assassins try and infiltrate, you can mow each one down. (for each infiltrating unit, you get to use the auspex ability which makes short work of assassin usually)... so if the auspex works to you're advantage, since you get a free shot at them, like i would say 50% of the time, you get to shoot at them. so that should slim the chances of getting your prized shooty squad overrun by assassins. Honestly if i were your opponent, that is the first thing my assassins would go after.

next is your FAGK and termies. DON'T deepstrike them. you'd be better off walking them all up. you would provide more targets that are scarier for your opponent then just the dreadnought, which as i would have thought from reading the list, and from what you've said, will get torn down fast. so if you walk those 25 or however many grey knights, you will stand a better chance of 1. not loosing your shooty squad to assassins. and 2. provide more targets for your enemy to shoot at, which in turn can allow you to last longer. Not to mention, you are saving on the points cost because you dont have to worry should a unit deepstrike into cover and die, because you wont be deepstriking.

if you dont already have plasma guns on your ISTs.... give it to them right away ! lol If your chimeras have anything other then Multilasers, then change it back to multilasers. against the list your playing, heavy bolters wont really do much more then multilasers will, so go with the highest strength for ur turret. and but a bolter on your hull. that way as you're driving up, you have some fire power. then you can unload, and blast some units with plasma (preferably those pesky sisters dominion squad)... also a point i would like to make is also to consider multimeltas to try and take out their immolator as soon as possible. that way those flamers take longer to get to you and are not as useful as they were before.

if you do the above mentioned things, while using the terrain and such to your advantage, you should notice a big difference in how the game pans out. your biggest worry id say is those assassins. they can tie you up for a decent amount of time allowing the inducted IG to get a few more key shots off. biggest advice with those is take auspex on ALL your units. IE. take auspex on your justicars and BC of the grey knight squads, and on your shooty inguisitor squad. that would really really dampen his spirits. because before the game even started, you would have at least 20-40 stormbolter shots firering at one or more assassings, plus the shooty guy shooting. that is on average 58pts he looses before the game starts!!! for only 8 points for you. (the points of the three assassins averaged is 58, since you should be able to take out at least one or more with all that auspex, i just did a simple average). and that one or more missing assassin off the start would really hurt the plans your enemy has. i mean, 4 units get 3 shots each, that is 12 rolls in total you need at least 12-18.... so roughly if they just do the 18inches away, then 25% of ur rolls should be good, thus 3 units should get to fire on the infiltrators. that is enough to kill at least one or two. though somethings you can roll really badly. but i think you get the point of how useful the auspex can be against those assassins.

good luck man. and happy hunting! (let me know how it goes!!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by jONESIE View Post
    go for a orbital bombardment, try disrupt the area where he sets up the guard 'batteries' with their heavy weapons- if you get them moving, they aren't firing- good news and a good start.
    I don't really have all that much to add - everybody else has raised very good ideas... I'm just chiming in to second the Orbital Strike idea. With that many targets on the board (4 x IG, 2 x IST, Dominions, Inquisitors and retinues) and with most of them needing to stay still, the Orbital strike can be nasty indeed.

Since you play him often, you've probably got a good idea of how he likes to deploy his troops - this is the key.

Pick a (preferably large) terrain piece that you think he'll deploy a good chunk of his troops close to (roads and rivers are awesome, as you can drop the shot anywhere along the whole thing), and with any luck you can have Ordinance blasts raining down over his rather large and easy to hit Guard formations! He'll either stay put and shoot, hoping he won't take any direct hits (which are gonna hurt), or move away to avoid losing massive chunks of infantry (losing a turn of shooting and he might still get blasted with a good scatter!).

Best of all, you can go ahead and cheap out here - if you're just looking to blow up some guard, you hardly need to pay extra points to get the S10, AP1 monster - though it could be handy if you manage to drop it on those Sisters...
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice

I've tweaked my list around a bit, and everything has more of a clear cut purpose, too. As for the dreadnought, I'm sticking with CCW/Heavy flamer and either plasma cannon or assualt cannon, since he only has the one immolator, which I can glance on 5 with an assault cannon anyway. I've taken an orbital strike too, either lance or barrage, not sure until I work out my points. Either should work well.

Thanks again everyone for the help

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by visible_noise View Post
    As for the dreadnought, I'm sticking with CCW/Heavy flamer and either plasma cannon or assualt cannon, since he only has the one immolator, which I can glance on 5 with an assault cannon anyway.
    I'd take the AC over the PC in this case, then, as the higher rate of fire and rending will prove to me more effective than the lone PC. Also, why take a heavy flamer when you can have an incinerator, instead?
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swapped my list around, got an incinerator now.

Also, I agree the AC would be better, and especially since it's 10pts cheaper.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes your first problem is quiet simple just try and footslog it so that your important units dont get shot to pieces (but by all means dont put your GK's at risk for that reason either)
    Chaos is a decison not a life

+ Reply to Thread