Welcome to Librarium Online!
OK, so maybe this has been discussed before, but I just figured this out today, and I think it's awesome!
Sure, a SHP and BA Honor Guard are very very expensive, but consider this: SHP w/ an exsanguinator and a SP w/ narth/reductor. That means two failed armor saves are ignored per turn! Furthermore, the exsang can save more lives in the unit based on the SHP toughness. And of course, the narth/red has other benefits to boot. Now that's survivability.
However, it comes at a cost. Roughly 600pts. But my question is, with two armor saves completely ignored, and the ability to ignore more failed saves; would it be worth it? Would you consider deep striking or even running these guys up the battlefield with jumppacks?
Here's the breakdown:
- Exsanguinator, JP, BP, PWR WPN, T.Honors, Iron Halo
(This guy will also allow re-rolls for missed to-hits on a charge)
BA Honor Guard: 417pts (I could have tooled them up further too)
- 10 Vet Assault Marines
- 2 ea Marines w/ melta guns
- 1 SP w/ narth/red, PWR WPN & CCW
- 1 Standard Bearer w/ Company Banner, PWR WPN & CCW
- 1 Vet Sgt w/ T.Honors, PWR FIST & CCW
- 2 ea Marines w/ PWR WPN & CCW
- 3 ea Marines w/ BP & CCW
Your opinions, comments, or even personal experiences.
With a squad that tooled up one of three things will happen:
1. The squad will jump all over the place and rip the entire opposing force to ribbons
2. The squad will be the target of every high strength AP3+ weapon you opponent has, pie plate, template, and blast plate. Since you get no saving throws to fail (since they are AP3) the gear does nothing the squad dies hideous overkilled deaths.
3. The squad becomes the primary target of every weapon the opponent has AP3 or not. You may ignore the first two missed saves but it won't save against the rest you'll lose...
Squads that beefy either rip through armies like a buzzsaw or attract so much fire they are wiped out by turn 2. Usually the latter, though it *might* survive for some time in 2000+ point battles simply because there will be so many uber-killing squads of death it's hard to prioritize which one will die that turn.
May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.
super tooled up squads are rarely worth it...but they're so much fun!! What I would do with a squad like that, is drop the Iron Halo (shouldn't be a squad left to attack back) and give him a Grail, so you have double the chance of consolidating into another squad. The idea being that if it's your assault phase you consolidate into a squad (hopefully one you can take out very easly without charging) and at the end of his assault phase you consolidate into a good position to charge the juciest target.
It might work if you were doing a non-deployed list, all Drop Pods and Deep Strike. That gives him only 1 turn of shooting before you're in his face.
You better hope you get the first turn and are able to assault a squad in the first turn, or else your gonna have a deadly surprise of Ap3+ shotsa at you. Anyway thats a whole lot of power weapons, at str 5 and I 5, (I 6 for the SHP) on the charge, you better hope your opponent's army is tightly packed together.
"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!