Space Wolves Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -8 (x0)

    Space Wolves Question

    I'm a longtime player who took a break... anyway I have 2 questions about the "new" rules... and how they affect the Space Wolves

    (1) Venerable Dreadnoughts: I heard that the Space Marines don't get the +1 to go first on their VDs anymore, but the GW FAQ on the Space Wolves doesn't say "use the space marine VD entry" or "no more +1 to go first". So, my question is: do Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnoughts still give the +1 to go first?

    (2) Blood Claw Bikes vs Blood Claw Assault Squad: same cost, same weapons, etc. With the new "turbocharged" bikes, is it now a no-brainer that the bikes are better than the jump packs? Or is there something I'm not seeing that makes my jump packed blood claws still a viable option?

    Thanks in advance!


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Son of LO darkreever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NJ, U.S.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

    1. Space Wolf Venerable Dreds still follow all the rules they have, the elite dreadnought, not the venerable one, follows the rules in the new space marine codex. (A venerable version of that one does not follow the space wolf venerable rules, unless it says somewhere in the FAQ that it does or you can only have one venerable unit in a space wolf army.)

    2. They don't get the benefit of turboboosting, but jump pack bloodclaws can deepstrike and have the option of getting meltabombs. Whichever of the two you decide to use is really up to you.

    Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -8 (x0)

    Okay, so my follow up:

    (1) Got it, still have the +1 to go first. I would probably object to any SW player bringing a SW Venerable Dread and a SM Venerable Dread, though. Seems like a loophole that's really lame.

    (2) So bikes are probably much better. Do they count as having and extra hand weapon? Do they get 4 attacks (1+xtra wep+2 for charge)on the charge or only 3 (1+2 for charge)?

    New questions:
    (3) Do the Wolf Pack attachments for characters "keep up" with them like a librarian's familiar does? Or would they slow down a char on a bike?

    (4) Because you can fire out of a rhino (firing ports) can a Rune Priest stormcall out of a rhino? Can it stormcall it's own rhino?

    Thanks in advance

  5. #4
    Son of LO darkreever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NJ, U.S.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

    3. I believe units like the familiar state that they move as fast as the model they are with; so if that model is running 6 inches then so would the familiar, but if the model is speeding along 12 or more inches on a bike the familiar would be moving just as far. I know that some units actually have a movement profile, such as the fenrisian wolves, and only allow for the models they are with to go as fast or slow as they go. In a case like that you go the speed of the slowest model.

    4. If stormcaller is a psychic power, with no codex on me I could not say for sure, then I would say he has to be out of the transport to use it. You could go on the eldar forum and look up threads about arseers casting powers in falcons and that would be your answer. (Just substitute farseer for rune priest and falcon for rhino...)

    Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

  6. #5
    Senior Member Lamenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by SharkBall View Post
    (2) Blood Claw Bikes vs Blood Claw Assault Squad: same cost, same weapons, etc. With the new "turbocharged" bikes, is it now a no-brainer that the bikes are better than the jump packs? Or is there something I'm not seeing that makes my jump packed blood claws still a viable option?
    Please do not forget that bikers can only use one hand in close combat (as the other one is needed to control the bike). So for close combat purposes the Assault sqaud is still better.

    (or do Space Puppies have spiky bikes (like chaos)?)

    and yes, you can cast Storm callerr from a Rhino using the top hatch. I am not sure you can obscure the Rhino though.
    Shut up and play.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -8 (x0)

    Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    4. If stormcaller is a psychic power, with no codex on me I could not say for sure, then I would say he has to be out of the transport to use it. You could go on the eldar forum and look up threads about arseers casting powers in falcons and that would be your answer. (Just substitute farseer for rune priest and falcon for rhino...)
    I think the difference is that a falcon has no firing ports (like the top hatch of a rhino) so you can't shoot out of a falcon. However, because Marines can shoot from rhinos, and because a psychic power (like stormcaller) is used in lieu of shooting, I would expect to be able to "shoot" it from the rhino. However, that doesn't mean that he can stormcall his own vehicle... that's something I'm still curious about

    and my last question:
    (5) Long Fangs and target priority. Normal units have to take a LD test to avoid shooting either the closest unit or the closest vehicle. Long fangs can shoot 2 targets (if their leader is alive). Which one is more accurate:
    (a) Long Fangs are exempt from all target priority rules
    (b) Long Fangs' first target must follow normal rules, and the second can target anything
    (c) Long Fangs must follow all target priority rules (so they could shoot at the closest unit and the closest vehicle ONLY, unless they took a test), and must take 1 test to designate one or both targets that aren't the closest
    (d) as (c), but must take a separate LD test per target that they wish to engage that is not the closest unit or vehicle
    (e) none of the above

  8. #7
    Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Yeppoon, QLD, Australia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,095
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamenter View Post
    Please do not forget that bikers can only use one hand in close combat (as the other one is needed to control the bike). So for close combat purposes the Assault sqaud is still better.
    Are the Space wolf Bikers derived from the current Marine bikers? If so, then they can use 2 hands for CQC.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -8 (x0)

    Unfortunately, no. They're a SW special entry... 30 pts each, 3-8, Flamer option, 2 PWs or PFs, blood claw charging rules, etc... also can exchange bikes for jump packs for free (which is why I was asking which was better)

  10. #9
    Senior Member Valerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamenter View Post
    Please do not forget that bikers can only use one hand in close combat (as the other one is needed to control the bike). So for close combat purposes the Assault sqaud is still better.
    Lamenter,

    This isn't true under 4th edition (was a 3rd edition rule). All bikers use the number of attacks on their profile and get a +1 for having a second CCW, pistol, etc.

    Valerian

  11. #10
    Son of LO darkreever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NJ, U.S.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by SharkBall View Post
    \
    and my last question:
    (5) Long Fangs and target priority. Normal units have to take a LD test to avoid shooting either the closest unit or the closest vehicle. Long fangs can shoot 2 targets (if their leader is alive). Which one is more accurate:
    (a) Long Fangs are exempt from all target priority rules
    (b) Long Fangs' first target must follow normal rules, and the second can target anything
    (c) Long Fangs must follow all target priority rules (so they could shoot at the closest unit and the closest vehicle ONLY, unless they took a test), and must take 1 test to designate one or both targets that aren't the closest
    (d) as (c), but must take a separate LD test per target that they wish to engage that is not the closest unit or vehicle
    (e) none of the above
    Answer would be D; if they split fire and both target different things that are not the closest target then they both have to test for target priority. (Which is not much of a problem, what with their fairly high leadership.)

    Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts