No Tanks tactic? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Tanks tactic?

Would playing an army that has no tanks in order to limit the effectiveness of your opponents tank busters be a valid tactic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Yes. I've survived playing without a single tank for 3 years. Only recently however do I field a pair of whirlwinds. (and the occasional pair of dreads)

it makes those singleshot high Strength weapons a bit of a waste. Having more models on the board can help also.

Only disadvantage...you have no armor obviously.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM's are the best infantry out there. It would be a great tactic to limit tank hunters. If they are heavy tank hunter ML dev squads. I don't know. At least you will get a save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

It's a fairly good move, most Marine Tanks are sub-par, Predators are weakly armoured and expensive, Vindicators I like but are short ranged, Land Raiders are mixed purpose and over expensive and Rhinos well....

The basic Marine is durable, well armed and overall excellent. Without tanks you can afford alot of them and people find them very hard to deal with.

Tanks are weaker than SM, they may not die to Lasguns, but when 1 ML gets 120pts for a Dreaadnought kill in a single turn when 15pts was otherwise he best it could hope for armour looks unimpressive.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluha View Post
    Would playing an army that has no tanks in order to limit the effectiveness of your opponents tank busters be a valid tactic?
    It is and it's one that I use often. My 'take on all' list is almost all infantry types. I have two dreads but they are in drop pods and often they earn their points the turn they land. I also have two whirlwinds, like Zephyr, but I don't really consider them tanks, they are just missile battery platforms in the shape of a tank. Sometimes I wish I could take just the missiles and leave the WW behind.

SM are great troops, tough, good at shooting and CC. And like they mentioned before, the enemy will have difficulty dealing with alot of them.

You could also use traits to infiltrate them to help over come their lack of speed to get across the table, or just to get into better positions in general.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluha View Post
    Absolutely. You will find that most people on this board go for infantry heavy SM armies.

The only tanks that are used are the ones that fullfil roles that Marines cannot. So Whirlwinds are used for the shooting without LOS and potential pinning ability and some people like to use the Vindicator for the big gun (and potential psychological warfare aspects).

Predators are easily replaced with Devastators. Quite a few people like the Baal Predator and it cannot be replaced by Marines, so it does see some use in BA.

Dreadnaughts of course a a completely different thing (becuase of the Walker special rules, among others) and I suggest using the search function to find out what people say about these.

People seem divided on the topic of Landspeeders. The low armor seems to be what most people don;t like about them but with a bit of luck you can do amazing things with the Tornado configuration. I don;t thing anyone is using the Typhoon much.

Again we had similar discussions before so you can maybe use the search function and see what you can come up with.
    Shut up and play.

+ Reply to Thread