All Infantry or all Tanks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Infantry or all Tanks?

My dad plays IG and he was thinking about makeing an armoured list. And I was wondering. Which do you guys like better? An all infantry type army, which makes your opponets tank busting weapons basicly useless. Or an all tank type army, which makes your opponets anti-infantry type weapons useless.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a tank-heavy mix, thats what I have. I myself have 2 squads of marines (one sword brethren, one termies) and about.....hmm....and 6 tank/walkers
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How bout a response from a IG player...

If he really really likes tanks.. go tank heavy..

If you want a well rounded army 2 to 4 vehicles for.. I'd say up to 1500 or 1700pts

infantry with heavy weapons are a huge strong point for IG and having some armour to back em up is good.

though.. i've come really far competitively by limiting my 1700point army to only 3 vehicles. 1 hellhound, and 2 bassies. but my army is configured to win and when i play mroe friendly games I might take a leman russ or two. I may even use my Armoured Company if I get a specific challenge to use it.

tanks make imperial guard really fun. vehicles are too easy to kill nowadays though. even the intimidating leman russ variants.
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,
    the, rightfully, proud 121st Harakoni Warhawks (my army) have a pretty good record.
    I find all infantry armies really underestimated. Try loads of Infantry Platoons. Oh,and give every squad a plasma gun and a Heavy Bolter.:shifty:
    GL
    In the darkness, look to the blind to show the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boring answer I know, but I prefer a little of both. The core of my army is infantry, and my tanks are there to support them. The best tanks for these supporting/suppressing roles alongside infantry are Sentinels (ok not quite a tank, but still invaluable), Basilisks, Hellhounds & Leman Russes (with 3 Heavy Bolters).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play 2 hellhounds, 2 demolisher and 1 russ at 1750p, and that's enough tanks for me in that list. but of course, you can't have enough tanks , i myself am wondering wether to buy some more tanks and start an armoured company.
    "You'd never imagine how many people would like an electric chair hanging on their wall. Especially if it fits the colour of the wallpaper."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

It is really up to you when you are choosing if you want all tanks or all infantry. I myself perfer to have a even mix of infantry and tanks. Two battle tanks and one bassie is a good choice to have. Amoured Companies are hard to create and can become very expensive like and all infantry army so thats why I advice you to stay away from those types of armies until you get a good feeling for what type of army you truly want and if you have a lot of money in your pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like taking all infantry with a couple of basalisks. That makes enemy anti-tank totally useless, but it still lets you have two pie plates. Best of both worlds! But of course, tread heads have their armored company, and no one can say that it is not effective.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

yeah, mixed is good. i use a single armoured fist, some ordanance. no conscripts, just lots of infantry platoons.

both Infantry and AC can be challenging to play, the difference is a tank can be killed in a single shot, but is never locked in combat, and if it survives can just shoot. with infantry, poor infantry, you fight for the win, fight and grind the opponent down, bitterly, slowly and surely. and still have all the leadership, target priority, rescourced/ planned shooting phase problems etc.

not to mention the satisfaction in pulling off a win with the lowly infantryman! (and not just ordanance)

we're talking warhammer, warhammer is bloody good fun. and not all AC is exploiting lots of ordanance- that being said, some bauk at Armoured Companies, and it can be fun using mass tanks, but can be quite bland, too. half the opponents models are useless because they cant hurt a tank, just, um, hide and claim a table quarter. and shooting lots of ordanance is damageful, but also quite bland and repeditive. its still warhammer and stuff but remember people dont like just getting pumbled with ordanance for a couple of hours.

but infantry, lots of infantry.... you killed 20 blokes? man i got lots more where that came from...... with allsorted weaponry to punish you! although i've had times where a few target priority tests mean the single 5 marines you want dead break/ kill half the models you have in your army list.... upsetting, but definately makes for a good story!

either way, you go with what catches your imagination- i think if you focus on AC without exploiting ordanance, it is really fun and has a different feel than any other army possible. go for it! otherwise it is a waste of money because its either not as enjoyable as warhammer should be or you'll get not-happy-like when you face another superunbalanced army kitted out for killing AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I play three guard armies ... Mech Infantry (2 plts, command, some tanks), Grenadiers (command 3 grenadier squads, tanks, maybe hellhounds), and my favorite is a weird armored company. Everyone dreads armored companies because of pie plates... mine shows up with five exterminators, 2 demolishers, 1 vanquisher and some hell hounds and a temporary basilisk until I get another demolisher tank or hell hound.

Ordinance is nice VS MEQs but the power of 3-5 exterminators is a truely brutal site to see on the table top ... 15 S4, 35 S5, and 10 rerollable S7 shots will clean up the flank pretty quickly. Now match that up with two hellhounds doing preparatory fires on infantry squads and you are looking at eliminating 2-3 squads per round to include marine squads. The army is fast, intimidating but incredibly fragile if someone shows up with 9+ lascannons.

So if you like low model count armies show up with an AC. But you will either win big or lose big.

On a balanced list approach I will say never show up with just 1-2 vehicles. Either have 4-5 or go none. 1-2 = all AC weapons shooting at them on turn 1 and you might not even get a chance to shoot even if you are hiding behind terrain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast